What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The two clubs in serious danger of collapse - Tele

Bluebags1908

Juniors
My guess would be Cronulla and Parramatta.

If Parramatta were to drop out of the comp it would spell disaster for the NRL, with the AFL planning a Western Sydney team.

But I donlt blame the poker machine tax - most other Sydney clubs are struggling but have adjusted and are recovering. It's just down to bad management from Dennis Fitzgerald and his cronies. A club like Parramatta should be one of the strongest Sydney teams, with the Parramatta CBD being Sydney's 'second CBD' and the busibness hub of Western Sydney. There's really no excuses for Parramatta not being in a better state than what they are.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
You didn't notice all the stuff about Delmege withdrawing his contribution?

Manly aren't in the best financial position right now you know...

Scott Penn just bought the Manly Leagues Club, for I think $10-15million. So I don't think things are that desperate just yet, however, I clould be wrong I guess.

I think one team will be the Sharks, like everyone is suggesting. The Bulldogs or Parramatta could be the other. However, whilst all clubs are feeling the pinch, I'm not sure anyone is terminal at the moment.

clipser

Juniors
Scott Penn just bought the Manly Leagues Club, for I think $10-15million. So I don't think things are that desperate just yet, however, I clould be wrong I guess.

I think one team will be the Sharks, like everyone is suggesting. The Bulldogs or Parramatta could be the other. However, whilst all clubs are feeling the pinch, I'm not sure anyone is terminal at the moment.

Correct, theres a link in my previous post :)

eagles look safe for now thanks to Penn :D

Delboy

First Grade
As for doom and gloom, the best supported club in all football codes is Collingwood .

I understand that they are declaring a very large loss for last year, and Fast Eddie has gone on radio to suggest he will be working 24/7 to get them back on an even keel.

Obviously in the current climate, it is not only NRL.

clipser

Juniors
As for doom and gloom, the best supported club in all football codes is Collingwood .

I understand that they are declaring a very large loss for last year, and Fast Eddie has gone on radio to suggest he will be working 24/7 to get them back on an even keel.

Obviously in the current climate, it is not only NRL.

what the sh.t is this :crazy:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team

If Parramatta were to drop out of the comp it would spell disaster for the NRL, with the AFL planning a Western Sydney team.

But I donlt blame the poker machine tax - most other Sydney clubs are struggling but have adjusted and are recovering. It's just down to bad management from Dennis Fitzgerald and his cronies. A club like Parramatta should be one of the strongest Sydney teams, with the Parramatta CBD being Sydney's 'second CBD' and the busibness hub of Western Sydney. There's really no excuses for Parramatta not being in a better state than what they are.

if parramatta went, penrith as we know them would be gone too. and i think if it happened this way, the super west sydney team we want will not be a success.

A concocted story about Parramatta being on the brink of collapse would feed nicely into some juicy stories about the Leagues Club election... and give the Terror another excuse to indulge in some Fitzy bashing.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I don't think it's the Bulldogs. They're one of the few clubs who actually spread their wings beyond their club and formed a group including clubs outside Sydney. I think their future is secure.

Absolutely spot on.

Parramatta should be one of the most, if not the most, viable club in Sydney YET Fitzgerald speaks doom and gloom and whinges about the pokie tax. Well, Denis, a savy businessman would not bitch and moan about the difficulties facing him and his club, he would go out there and find other streams of revenue that are just waiting to be exploited.

Parramatte would thrive with a good leader.

sharko

Juniors
The Tele is the mouthpiece for Gallop and his News Ltd goons in the NRL..they are trying to set the clubs up for a reduction in tv revenue, a reduction the grant and a reduction in the salary cap..they will whip up a bit of hysteria, get the clubs and its members nervous and then continue to plunder league for their own ends!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
All Fitzy does is get his head and the name of his club in the news. Fitzy runs on the moniker "any publicity is good publicity".

Delboy

First Grade
Clubs will be reporting losses as always, the poker tax is ripping millions out of profits.

What youy need to look at is asset position, some clubs are asset backed but with immediate cash flow implications as the taxes etc bite. The clubs low on assets may well be the problem

Stagger eel

Staff member
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 08:53pm

The Cronulla Sharks and the Newcastle Knights are the two most endangered clubs in the NRL.
If there was a betting market on the first team to fold, I’d be suggesting Cronulla are odds on.
The facts are simple with the Sharks – they are not getting enough support from fans in the Shire, despite having a successful football team.
Sponsorship is down and even despite crowds improving last season, gate takings – or lack of them – remain a huge problem coupled with a Leagues Club struggling under the pokie taxes and smoking bans.
The Newcastle Knights are not much better off. They have accumulated debt of just over $3 million since entering the ARL in 1988.
Without a licensed club for support, they are totally reliant on the people of Newcastle – fans and sponsors – to keep themselves afloat.
But not far behind them are the privately owned teams like Souths, the Warriors and Manly.
I’ll tell you why at 1pm.

You’ll be shocked to learn just how precarious their situation is.
The NRL has been closely monitoring all clubs to prevent a total disaster.
The first club collapse may be only months away.
Join Buzz today at 1pm to find out how safe your club is.

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg.../the_two_clubs_in_serious_danger_of_collapse/