What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wagon Factor

ParraAds

Juniors
Yeah Wags does seem to be the quiet achiever of the team....

but a great player, and a terrific bloke at the club for nearly a decade.

by the way eela...those last few games Dymock played at Parra were at hooker I think? Schifiliti was injured and I think Irvine was as well?

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
imo mateo can cover his position.....mateo willmake the perfect lock....tackling is good...attack is ausome, and can put the odd kick and end of set play together....imo out of ever player coming off contract he should be number 1 resigned.... with the choice between smith/green or both...meaning finch -> esl

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think I would rather have Wagon in my side than Chad, but it mainly boils down to the fact that they're both similar style of players - except Wagon can cover centre, lock and 5/8 if need be.

But I agree - he never gets mentioned, but I reckon he's a good, solid player. And I see no reason why our 17 can't have him and Mateo in it.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
eelavation said:
that wouldn't happen...no way in the world, I'm certain that Mateo would be a higher priority than Wags and tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Wags's name is not mention on the retention meeting without the knowledge that Mateo's future being secured.

Good to hear, just a bit concerned because recent history suggests they'd favour Wagon but hopefully that was a Smithy decision rather than a Fitzgerald one. I'd like to see Wagon stay if he doesn't take a big chunk of the cap, great leader and role model for the young players.

Wags ia champ. I love those underrated players that people ignore cause they're too busy drooling over Hindy or Tim Smith. Ian, Wags, Stuey Galbraith...........every Club needs these guys as much as they need the Hindys and the Inus.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
Good to hear, just a bit concerned because recent history suggests they'd favour Wagon but hopefully that was a Smithy decision rather than a Fitzgerald one. I'd like to see Wagon stay if he doesn't take a big chunk of the cap, great leader and role model for the young players.

well, ultimately it would be Hages's decision and I'm sure they'll do everything they can to sign him but at the same time they won't go overboard with him, I don't think they like getting into bidding wars.

Wags wouldn't be on much now and I hardly imagine that they'll offer too much for his final contract.

Gronk

Staff member
Just on the Wags @ 5/8th thing, I see that Smithy has selected Daniel Abrahams at No.6 for Newcastle this week. Old habits die hard. :lol:

Kornstar

Coach
Gronk said:
Just on the Wags @ 5/8th thing, I see that Smithy has selected Daniel Abrahams at No.6 for Newcastle this week. Old habits die hard. :lol:

In this case, i honestly don't think he has much choice. The guy that would play number 7 is out for the season and there are really no other options at this point, however he can't think he is going to have a successful season with Abraham there full-time, so he will have to buy someone.......i wonder who he can buy.......

Mullen is good but he aint Johns, he will need another half to help him and i don't think Gidley is up to it, he should stay at fullback

Stagger eel

Staff member
Kornstar said:
In this case, i honestly don't think he has much choice. The guy that would play number 7 is out for the season and there are really no other options at this point, however he can't think he is going to have a successful season with Abraham there full-time, so he will have to buy someone.......i wonder who he can buy.......

Mullen is good but he aint Johns, he will need another half to help him and i don't think Gidley is up to it, he should stay at fullback

without getting off the topic too much i would of put Kidley at 6 and Milton Thaiday at 1.

Utey

Coach
eelavation said:
without getting off the topic too much i would of put Kidley at 6 and Milton Thaiday at 1.

Terrible, Milton can't catch and Kidley is not a play maker. As soona s he slots into the halves he tries to be creative and you won't see him making any of the line breaks he is now. I reckon a lot of Kinghts fans would agree.

fish eel

Immortal
I've been won back over to Wagon.

He his hitting hard and running hard.

Most importantly, as strides pointed out, often the first man to a dropped ball. does a lot of cleaning up mark laurie style imo.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
I've been won back over to Wagon.

He his hitting hard and running hard.

Most importantly, as strides pointed out, often the first man to a dropped ball. does a lot of cleaning up mark laurie style imo.

yeah..it's the ugly stuff isn't it, no one gets credit for the 1%'s and that's what Wags does well.

The Colonel

Immortal
Daniel Wagon is the "Mr 1%" at Parramatta - he is the player that does the little things that many would be crying out about not being done if he wasn't there.

He is generally the player given the duty of shutting down the oppositions playmaker. For example - Toyota Park, 28 May 2005 - Brett Kimmorley was belted everytime he had the ball in the first half by Wags and not given an inch to move. The team go into the sheds at halftime with a very comfortable lead. Wags stays in the sheds injured and Kimmorley almost steals the match in the second half leading the comeback. Parramatta hold on to win 34-26.

Watch him this week play on Gower.....

fish eel

Immortal
I still dont think our best line should have all of wagon, robo and i hindmarsh in it. IMO, Ian's concrete hands have him third choice on that list.

cardinal

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Daniel Wagon is the "Mr 1%" at Parramatta - he is the player that does the little things that many would be crying out about not being done if he wasn't there.

He is generally the player given the duty of shutting down the oppositions playmaker. For example - Toyota Park, 28 May 2005 - Brett Kimmorley was belted everytime he had the ball in the first half by Wags and not given an inch to move. The team go into the sheds at halftime with a very comfortable lead. Wags stays in the sheds injured and Kimmorley almost steals the match in the second half leading the comeback. Parramatta hold on to win 34-26.

Watch him this week play on Gower.....

Was'nt Wags one of the soft forwards that you wanted dropped after the first round for Tai or someone else? How quickly things change.

Utey

Coach
His always been the bloke who roughs up the player maker. I know everyone remembers the Cowboys Semi where he rushed up on Bowen or Thurston? But he definitly need to be there IMO.

You ask any of the Players running around at Parramatta who they want to play besides, it will be Daniel Wagon. He is a calm and steadying influence on the side and as everyone else said he may not be flashy but he is a 1%er for sure. Sure he made a mistake in the Cowboys semi, I was right over the top of that and when he ran out I cringed. But against Gower this week. He will monster him. I think after playing Parramatta, the Opposition play maker has trouble going to sleep, wondering if Wags will be there when he closes his Eyes to smash him again.

That was a terrible mistake by wagon against bowen... terrible! But last year and this year he has improved as a backrower. I believe Wagon Should be along side Hindmarsh With mateo at lock. I don't believe Robinson and Ian Hindmarsh should be in the team. They are all the same type of player. We need variation ...dare I say some skill in the forwards.

The Colonel

Immortal
cardinal said:
Was'nt Wags one of the soft forwards that you wanted dropped after the first round for Tai or someone else? How quickly things change.

You should learn to read.......

Utey

Coach
Jake the snake said:
That was a terrible mistake by wagon against bowen... terrible! But last year and this year he has improved as a backrower. I believe Wagon Should be along side Hindmarsh With mateo at lock. I don't believe Robinson and Ian Hindmarsh should be in the team. They are all the same type of player. We need variation ...dare I say some skill in the forwards.

Mateo will find his home at 2nd rower ;-)

Latest posts