What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Walking Dead

gUt

Coach
Trying not to hate this show for its generally poor acting, worse writing and overall melodramatic feel. Half way thru season 2 and more often than not we find ourselves cheering for the geeks.

The problem with the writing is there's not enough to lighten the mood so it can be plunged back into terror and despair when required. It's at a constant level of intense badness, which it would be irl, but this is fiction and there are ways fiction works and ways it doesn't.

But still so far I want to keep watching.

gUt

Coach
Oh and this is a weird complaint but so far not one character has used the word "zombie" which is strange to me.

gUt

Coach
How many episodes did it take till you wanted Rick dead?

Actually not until the last one I watched where he had to be told over and over by different people that being the only viable blood donor to his kid means he should probably not go running off to get eaten by "walkers".

Last edited:

alien

Referee
i like it. i have the first 3 seasons on dvd. hopefully i get season 4 soon.
when i first started watching it, one of the first things i thought was that there is more chance being killed by some of the survivors, than from the actual zombies

gUt

Coach
Got to the end of season 3 last night, overall not bad. I found aspects of what the Governor was about to be a bit far-fetched but then again he probably had a bit of a Stalin complex so that's understandable. I could work out why he'd want to wipe out army units but to arbitrarily want to destroy the prison group didn't ring true. Maybe someone can remind me what kicked it all off.

Enjoyed the extra dimension of Rick's character - his near madness. It finally made him more interesting. The redemption of Merle was great but sadly the show has now lost its best actor.

The Governor escaping was a bit of a cop out tho and it reeked of 'we will need a villain next season' but if it's following the comics then fair enough.

gUt

Coach
f**k that was terrible. Andrea f**king around to get the pliers was probably the most frustrating bit of TV I have watched for a good long while. What, she cant talk and pick them up at the same time? FMD.

And the "attack" on the prison was as stupid as it gets. Where the f**k was everyone? Why wait for them to get back outside before opening up on them? They had the perfect kill box when they gassed them in the catacombs ffs

Thank f**k for the comics. Even though the show has taken a hugely radical path away from them it still gives me hope the story can be turned around. New writers are needed though and maybe some producers with the balls to do a f**king horror show properly.

We assumed they were just going to lock them in and thought wow great plan... Nope.

axl rose

Bench
The redemption of Merle was great but sadly the show has now lost its best actor.

True, killing of your best actor was a dumb move. Daryl finding him was a memorable scene but would be good to have him around again. Merle back kicking Gareths ass and saving his brother from Terminus or whatever.

Show has probably peaked but fanboy that I am i will stick with it for all 10 seasons or however long it goes for.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I presume people do not open this knowing an ep came today.

Great season opener.......looking forward to the season.....

I read the paper today, something called "the block" is our best show..............f**k we are shyte, could not pay me to watch that tripe.

Thank f**k for shows like this......

Mr Spock!

Referee
Why is this not on primetime free to air instead of dumbarse reality shows?

I have to wait until someone downloads season 5.

Have season 1-3 on bluray and waiting for season 4 to come down in price.

Shame about Merle though. I really like Michael Rooker.

And the old guy.

bileduct

Coach
A few reasons.

Reality television shows are much cheaper to produce.

ACMA Australian content standards dictate 55% of all programming between 6am and midnight must be locally produced.

People love watching shit.

Look at the way Breaking Bad was treated. It is arguably the best television series in a f**king long time and it was years behind here (except on Foxtel), and I think it was eventually only picked up by the ABC.

I think Foxtel also have some kind of exclusive arrangement with AMC.

bileduct

Coach
Personally speaking, free to air television can get f**ked. My television hasn't been connected to an aerial in over 14 years now, and everything I watch has either been downloaded or on Foxtel. I get Foxtel pretty much exclusively for NRL and would ditch it immediately if I lost interest or they dropped it, but on occasion I have watched some shows on there. Wentworth, for instance, despite being a little over the top was actually surprisingly good viewing.

If the show is really worth it (Breaking Bad) I'll buy the blu-rays, but the days of forking out for DVDs with the embedded Australia tax or waiting for free to air to saturate it with advertising are long gone.

T.S Quint

Coach
They got out of the Terminus situation quicker than I thought they would. I'm glad they didn't drag it out.
Good start to the season. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Latest posts