What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Walking Dead

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Agree there KTF. Felt very anti-climatic. A great build-up. Morrissey portrayed The Governor brilliantly and it had the comic build-up. His "kill them all" line was epic. It had the factorsm to be brilliant but it declined to quick.

It had a great opening to. With Milton/Philip/Andrea. Honestly, I think Mazzera didn't have the balls to chop Hershel, Beth and a bunch of the survivors. Which is a shame as it would have ended it perfectly.

There was just too many silly/weak moments. At least Tyresse is there now. Always enjoyed him.

That's where it lost me. I could rage a fair bit about the Maggie/Glenn/Herschel storyline. Choosing to keep all 3 alive was the dumbest move and when I watch S3 again on DVD it's going to feel like such a waste of time. What TWD has done so well until now was chose the highest point and most dramatic moment to end characters. They threw that out the window with this season finale.

Herschel had already spoken about Glenn letting the rage consume him after what happened to him and Maggie, and he had also given Glenn his blessing. One of them had to go. Either Herschel's words had to come true or Glenn had to show he'd let go of the rage by getting Maggie to safety (Herschel sacrificing himself in the process) during the prison siege.

As you say it was very anti-climactic, and now the biggest issue is how do they achieve what killing Herschel/Glenn would have achieved? They were at the height of their arc, killing one of them then would've had the largest impact on the survivors. How do either of them die now without it somehow feeling anti-climactic?

I hope S4 redeems itself in a big way, but I think they've missed the boat on this one.

HowHigh

Coach
The one I downloaded cuts out at the end and audio goes back to earlier in the episode.
How did it actually end? Was them walking all those people off the bus into the prison and saying they are joining them it? Or is there another scene after that?

Dragon2010

First Grade
The one I downloaded cuts out at the end and audio goes back to earlier in the episode.
How did it actually end? Was them walking all those people off the bus into the prison and saying they are joining them it? Or is there another scene after that?

That would be correct, that's the end. Nothing after that.

Zigwaa

Bench
Finally caught up in episodes on the weekend to make it to the finale.

Thought the second last episode was better than the finale.

Not sure what the Governor did after his killing spree? I assumed him and the other 2 were heading back to the prison to attack again when they weren't found at Woodbury

Zigwaa

Bench

Yeah mine did the same thing, completely tripped me out at first.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Finally caught up in episodes on the weekend to make it to the finale.

Thought the second last episode was better than the finale.

Not sure what the Governor did after his killing spree? I assumed him and the other 2 were heading back to the prison to attack again when they weren't found at Woodbury

they probably just drove off. Anywhere, he couldn't go back to Woodbury. No way. He'd probably run for a bit. Find another group to join, assert himself as leader and lead them to attack the prison? Maybe then he'll roll up in a tank "Kill them all" style.

I can see him meeting-up with Dave/Tonys group maybe? They'd still be around rural Georgia and would want blood after Rick killed 3 of their men, they'd have a motive. Maybe even the hunters?

Morrissey has been confirmed to reprise his role as Philip Blake in S4 as a main-cast so he'll be around no doubt with his own screen-time and story to build-up to a 2nd attack (With some blood hopefully, lots of extra deaths, some main/supporting cast to.

I'll say one thing, at least we get to see some great acting in The Governor again as opposed to other shit actors like Yuen or some others dish up.

bileduct

Coach
I have a very strong suspicion that there will be a "director's cut" of the final episode when the whole season is released to DVD for the following reasons...

Someone had to have been down in the prison to let off the smoke grenades, and as one of the "survivors" said they took off because they were apparently being "slaughtered." Yet none of that was shown. Nobody from Woodbury was shown being killed until the Governor himself opened fire on them.

And it is just mind boggling that Rick, Darryl, Michonne and Carol apparently didn't do a f**kin' thing during the whole attack.

I think there was more to the prison attack that was scripted and filmed but ultimately wasn't shown because they didn't want to portray Rick and the others as ruthless in shooting a whole bunch of people that had really been lied to and coerced into attacking the prison by the Governor.

And having Maggie and Glenn shooting at and actually hitting the fleeing Woodbury soldiers would have lessened the impact of Carl's and the Governor's actions.

That's the only way I can explain how terribly the prison assault played out after all of the lead up to it. All of the stockpiling of guns and ammunition. All of the preparation. There has to be more to it and you'll probably have to buy the DVD to see it.

Joker's Wild

Coach
f**k that was terrible. Andrea f**king around to get the pliers was probably the most frustrating bit of TV I have watched for a good long while. What, she cant talk and pick them up at the same time? FMD.

And the "attack" on the prison was as stupid as it gets. Where the f**k was everyone? Why wait for them to get back outside before opening up on them? They had the perfect kill box when they gassed them in the catacombs ffs

Thank f**k for the comics. Even though the show has taken a hugely radical path away from them it still gives me hope the story can be turned around. New writers are needed though and maybe some producers with the balls to do a f**king horror show properly.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
they probably just drove off. Anywhere, he couldn't go back to Woodbury. No way. He'd probably run for a bit. Find another group to join, assert himself as leader and lead them to attack the prison? Maybe then he'll roll up in a tank "Kill them all" style.

I can see him meeting-up with Dave/Tonys group maybe? They'd still be around rural Georgia and would want blood after Rick killed 3 of their men, they'd have a motive. Maybe even the hunters?

Morrissey has been confirmed to reprise his role as Philip Blake in S4 as a main-cast so he'll be around no doubt with his own screen-time and story to build-up to a 2nd attack (With some blood hopefully, lots of extra deaths, some main/supporting cast to.

I'll say one thing, at least we get to see some great acting in The Governor again as opposed to other shit actors like Yuen or some others dish up.

This is what keeps me going for S4. Governer is still alive, the prison is still standing. The siege may still come, and IMO it has to. If it does come, I don't think it will be at the end of the season. I can see it coming at the mid season break or if they really want to start the series off with a bang the first couple of episodes.

bileduct

Coach
f**k that was terrible. Andrea f**king around to get the pliers was probably the most frustrating bit of TV I have watched for a good long while. What, she cant talk and pick them up at the same time? FMD.
This was the dumbest part of the whole episode which was just full of dumb shit.

I actually thought the Governor's idea to kill Milton and then have him turn and kill Andrea was f**king brilliant. I really thought the episode was off to a great start because of this, but then it all just fell apart.

But she showed no f**king urgency whatsoever even though Milton himself was telling her that she was running out of time. Then when he finally turns she manages to free herself in a few seconds.

This is extremely bad writing and direction and having suspense created out of sheer stupidity and implausibility just completely undermines whatever it was they were trying to achieve. The whole time I am just thinking "this time wasting is just so f**king stupid!"

This problem of sheer idiocy has plagued the series as a whole but it has never been more evident than in this episode.

Zigwaa

Bench
I have a very strong suspicion that there will be a "director's cut" of the final episode when the whole season is released to DVD for the following reasons...

Someone had to have been down in the prison to let off the smoke grenades, and as one of the "survivors" said they took off because they were apparently being "slaughtered." Yet none of that was shown. Nobody from Woodbury was shown being killed until the Governor himself opened fire on them.

And it is just mind boggling that Rick, Darryl, Michonne and Carol apparently didn't do a f**kin' thing during the whole attack.

I think there was more to the prison attack that was scripted and filmed but ultimately wasn't shown because they didn't want to portray Rick and the others as ruthless in shooting a whole bunch of people that had really been lied to and coerced into attacking the prison by the Governor.

And having Maggie and Glenn shooting at and actually hitting the fleeing Woodbury soldiers would have lessened the impact of Carl's and the Governor's actions.

That's the only way I can explain how terribly the prison assault played out after all of the lead up to it. All of the stockpiling of guns and ammunition. All of the preparation. There has to be more to it and you'll probably have to buy the DVD to see it.

Yeah I think you may be right.
The mrs and I were thinking WTF happened when the smoke bombs came from nowhere and the prison alarm started going off.

I think next season will see the worst of the governor now that he has no people to consider or look compassionate in front of.

Springs

First Grade
I read about it before I saw it so I wasn't as let down, it reminded me of Deadwood's season 3 finale. The episode most importantly should have ended with Governor finding Randall's group from season 2. By the sounds of them Rick and co. should have no problem fighting them.

Rick and the others were clearly the ones who let the smoke grenades off. Don't know why more wasn't shown of the Woodbury soldiers dying.

I had a feeling the last few eps would be let downs since Glen Mazzara was fired after the other producers being disappointed with the ending, as Mazzara wrote this ep. Gimple is now in charge and he wrote the last one and 'Clear' the best ep of the season along with Killer Within. This ep felt more like a mid season finale and wouldn't have been so disappointing if it wasn't the last episode for seven months.

Kirkman still has a big say in the show and unless season 4 is to be the last an attack has to come to get them out of the prison. I think it might seem like smooth sailing for Rick until the mid season finale where The Governor shows up unexpected with an actual army like in the comics.

And in my opinion the cast is now right. Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Carl, Michonne and The Governor from the main cast still remain and expect Tyreese and maybe Hershel to be upgraded next season. Hopefully Sasha or Karen can now fill the role of Comic Andrea with her scar and sniper rifle.

I think the producers were clearly at odds with each other and messed the last few episodes up, then decided to make a new start. Andrea is out of the picture, Rick ain't so crazy, Carl is cold as ice, Tyreese is where he belongs, Glenn and Maggie will be married and The Governor's only goal now is murderous revenge. Plus the prison group is big like it should be.

Springs

First Grade
I thought it was an alright episode on it's own but shit as a finale. Having rewatched Breaking Bad's season 4 finale just before it wasn't too good an idea. This was a complete anticlimax to a good season.

So this will probably be one of my last posts in this thread (I am sure Springs is thrilled to hear this) because that season finale left me feeling cold and not looking forward to season 4 at all.

I am thrilled to hear that. You were right on this episode (everyone who actually likes the show's disappointment makes that clear) but your whinging throughout the first half of season three was utter shit and a pain in the ass to see.

I don't understand the Glenn, Maggie and Hershel hate. I expect to see Tyreese-Michonne relationship spring up as well, perhaps Beth being killed off early and an attack by the Governor by episode eight.

I may be an optimist when it comes to this show but the characters present now have me looking forward to season 4.

axl rose

Bench
Good episode, was hoping to see Morgan return though with his arsenal & disappointed they will still be in the prison to start season 4. Can't really see how the Governor is a threat now he only has 2 goons, nonetheless will be watching as always.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Philip will build an army. He'll meet Dave/Tonys group from S2, hunters or just random militia and say "Prison is a good sanctuary lets take it".

Hopefully he finds a military base and rolls-up in a tank.

Can't wait for it to come back. Watched the finale a 2nd time. Enjoyed it more this time round, theres been better episodes though.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't understand the Glenn, Maggie and Hershel hate. I expect to see Tyreese-Michonne relationship spring up as well, perhaps Beth being killed off early and an attack by the Governor by episode eight.

Just thought I'd address this because I did vent some frustration at the Maggie/Glenn/Herschel thing.

Just to clarify, I don't hate any of the characters, but from a story point of view I really felt that they were building to some sort of payoff with those three that never came. To me it feels like anything that does happen now is going to be on the downward slope rather than pulling the trigger when their arc is at its most dramatic point.

Based on what we'd seen throughout the season it made sense to either "let the rage consume Glenn" as Herschel predicted, or have Herschel sacrifice himself to allow Glenn/Maggie a chance to escape, essentially passing the responsibility of her welfare to Glenn, which is something that has been hinted at throughout.

It never came, all that buildup and preparation. Nothing ever came of it. Indulge me for a second while I paint a picture.

Imagine the prison siege taking place ala the comics. Bullets fly, Walkers get involved, ammo runs low and the group is splintered. Maggie/Glenn are trying to find a way out, turn the corner and there's the Governer. That smug smile on his face, their first confrontation since they were held prisoner at Woodbury. The Governer raises his gun to shoot when Herschel suddenly fires, forcing the Gov to take cover. Herschel yells at Glenn/Maggie to get out of here, grabbing Glenn by the arm to give him a "she's your responsibility line" before sending them on their way, Glenn having to drag Maggie away screaming, knowing what's about to happen.

Needless to say Herschel dies and instead of heading into season 4 with no visible way of escalating the Herschel/Maggie/Glenn dynamic we have questions like "How will it effect Glenn/Maggie?" "Will Maggie blame Glenn for pulling her away?" "After seemingly getting control of his rage, will this tip Glenn over the egde?" and so on and so on.

That's my biggest gripe with the season finale, it leaves you with nothing.

That, and it also makes the Merle ep and death kind of pointless.

I'm glad they're still at the prison. Hopefully we'll still get that siege.

Maximus

Coach

Hopefully they cut the whole episode and start again.