What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wasted talent team of the last 5 years

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Roy Asotasi looked like he could have become the next big thing back in 2005-2007. Then Souths got to him and he's become complacent ever since.

Asotasi hasn't been the same since he came back from the season out injured, he was arguably the best prop in the game immediately prior to it.

Big Pete

Referee
Iafeta said:
Given what Mateo's done at the Warriors (been absolutely outstanding), I think he's delivering on the potential??

He had a very good season last year but his performance in the grand final was extremely disappointing.

butchmcdick

Immortal
How could I forget about Antonio kafusi !

Came to the cowboys with manickfoa and was terrible. God we could fill a forward pack with nuffies. Webb, kafusi, manickafoa, Faumonia,

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Took up a big contract at Wigan after sitting behind Price and Wiki.

He had a fantastic season in 2005, was gutted to see him leave but the money was huge. Shame he went the same way as a lot of forwards in the UK and got fat, our front row would've been absolutely dominant through the middle of the decade if he'd stayed.

BranVan3000

Coach
Asotasi hasn't been the same since he came back from the season out injured, he was arguably the best prop in the game immediately prior to it.
He looked really promising early last year, and seemed back to his damaging best after a good off season. Shame was he lost the rest of the season to something like a wrist injury.

I'd bet on him to have a fantastic year this year, except I wouldn't put any bets on Asotasi lasting a season without another injury. His body has reached its limit IMO

But then again I never thought Crocker or Ben Ross would make it through another full season too, you just have to wait and see I guess.

mene

Juniors
Shannon Walker anyone?
Yes indeed, Apart from some injuries that took ages to heal he was just one relaxed mofo who didnt take things too seriously. He is the single most exciting running back I have ever seen on a footy field. He is now with the Aust 7s team and when fit will make a mark for sure.

Moffo

Referee
John sutton captain coach and ballboy. Could be anything but is lazy as they come. Reni Maitua isn't far behind, played for Australia a couple of years back and then disappeared

For the dogs...Pritchard is the obvious one but I'm throwing ben Roberts in the mix. Has had some amazing games over the years but again, is completely lazy. If Hasler had him could've really been shaken up

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He looked really promising early last year, and seemed back to his damaging best after a good off season. Shame was he lost the rest of the season to something like a wrist injury.

I'd bet on him to have a fantastic year this year, except I wouldn't put any bets on Asotasi lasting a season without another injury. His body has reached its limit IMO

But then again I never thought Crocker or Ben Ross would make it through another full season too, you just have to wait and see I guess.

Some players have bad runs and come right- look at Benji early in his career. Awen Guttenbeil was another who looked like injuries would wreck his career early on but he had a great run in the second half of his career at the Warriors.

BDR

First Grade
Tried to upload the video of Rose's injury to youtube but got shut down for terms of use violation (copyright infringement) go figure

no name

Coach
Hardly wasted talent pal. He plays for a world club challenge medal in just over a week
Pal?
Again, winning a comp doesn't mean someone has fulfilled their potential.
I wasn't the one who mentioned him, but obviously someone felt that he had the potential to be a rep player or a better player than he is ATM.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Who mentioned Lauitiiti? He has won four Premierships, two World Club Challenges, he is a Tri-Nations winner and was named in the Super League Dream Team twice. He's had an excellent career and will be remembered as a Leeds legend. To dismiss players like that as 'wasted talent' is absolutely f**king stupid.

Red Bear

Referee
1. Jarrod Sammut
2. Denan Kemp
3. Dean Collis
4. Krisnan Inu
5. Antonio Winterstein
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Arana Taumata
8. John Kite
9. Aaron Gorrell
10. Daine Laurie
11. Weller Hauraki
12. Sika Manu
13. Reni Maitua

14. Jake Friend
15. Karl Filiga
16. Lagi Setu
17. Jarrod Saffy

18. Daniel Mortimer

COACH: Brad Fittler
ASSITANT COACH: Jason Taylor
Saffy unfortunate to be in this team, though he always played pretty well for the Dragons and got the most out of himself. Just cos he went to Union doesnt mean he's wasted so much, just playing a different code.

1. Milton Thaiday
2. Eric Grothe
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Iosia Soliola
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Todd Carney
7. Tim Smith
8. Antonio Kaufusi
9. Kevin Kingston
10. Willie Mason
11. Anthony Tupou
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Feleti Mateo

14. Jarrod Mullen
15. Dave Taylor
16. Daine Laurie
17. Carl Webb
Thought Dave Taylor was playing great football last season, especially the second half of the season, doing hit ups in the middle before going out wide.

Dont get all the hate for him running wide either. If you have a big second rower with a bit of ball playing ability running them wide and drawing in 2-3 defenders/making yards over smaller players is exactly how you want to use them to help your attack. Exactly what Mason was excellent at for a few years in the mid 00's.

Roy Asotasi looked like he could have become the next big thing back in 2005-2007. Then Souths got to him and he's become complacent ever since.
Thought Roy was good when he first went to Souths then did his knee in I think 09? A reco can take two years to really hit full stride after and that seemed to be the case with Asotasi, poor in 2010 but was playing some of his best footy against last season before the wrist injury.