What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wasted talent team of the last 5 years

Loudstrat

Coach
Greg Inglis. Those who saw him in his junior days with the Knights swore blind he was going to be sensational. But he's never been anywhere near selection for the Blues and he's wallowing at lowly Souffs.

Stewie

Juniors
Noticed that Richie Williams hasn't rated a mention. When he was playing for the Dragons he was carving everyone up, he could have been anything if he stayed on track. Real shame. Think he is running around in the Qld cup now, was suppose to be in the Titans squad last season.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Not sure if they've been mentioned

Shannon walker
Joel moon

Def agree on kafuasi and to an extent David kidwell.

POPEYE

Coach
Considering his speed, ability to sidestep and a need not to be harnessed by having to run the length of the field Hayne is the most wasted talent in the game
. . . could have been a legendary centre by now

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Who mentioned Lauitiiti? He has won four Premierships, two World Club Challenges, he is a Tri-Nations winner and was named in the Super League Dream Team twice. He's had an excellent career and will be remembered as a Leeds legend. To dismiss players like that as 'wasted talent' is absolutely f**king stupid.

But he is a wasted talent. Always was. At the Warriors from 1998-2002 he showed ridiculous ability but never fully delivered on it. I know it's trite to talk about players who "could be anything", but in Lauiti'iti's case there was a very genuine belief that he was the most talented forward in the world, full-stop. I still strongly believe that he was. Even in 2002 when he was the best second-rower in the NRL he still wasn't fully delivering on potential (I discounted 03/04 from the analysis as he was injured and then only played a handful of games for the Warriors before leaving).

I've seen plenty of Lauiti'iti since going to Super League and it has always (even when he first went over there and was Team of the Year material) been obvious that he's just doing what he needs to do but not extending himself. Why did he stop being an elite "Team of the Year" level player after 2005? He was content to do enough to keep his place in the side and earn a cheque. He has never been what he could have been.

There's also the knowledge, from just knowing what he's like as a bloke but also the circumstances of him leaving the Warriors, of why he never fulfilled his potential. It's a matter of public record that Lauiti'iti regards rugby league as less important to him than many other rugby league professionals. I don't hold this against him, but his attitude to the game has always hampered his performance. There are others who care more.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Pal?
Again, winning a comp doesn't mean someone has fulfilled their potential.
I wasn't the one who mentioned him, but obviously someone felt that he had the potential to be a rep player or a better player than he is ATM.

My understanding of "waste" is that it is surplus to requirements or in this context talent that did not contribute to anything. I'm suggesting Weller Hauraki's contribution to a premiership is not an example of this. Does international rugby league not count as a "rep" footy in your (or 'someone elses") argument?

Perhaps there's a suggestion here that playing SL represents, to some, as a waste of talent?

LeedsStorm

Juniors
But he is a wasted talent. Always was. At the Warriors from 1998-2002 he showed ridiculous ability but never fully delivered on it. I know it's trite to talk about players who "could be anything", but in Lauiti'iti's case there was a very genuine belief that he was the most talented forward in the world, full-stop. I still strongly believe that he was. Even in 2002 when he was the best second-rower in the NRL he still wasn't fully delivering on potential (I discounted 03/04 from the analysis as he was injured and then only played a handful of games for the Warriors before leaving).

I've seen plenty of Lauiti'iti since going to Super League and it has always (even when he first went over there and was Team of the Year material) been obvious that he's just doing what he needs to do but not extending himself. Why did he stop being an elite "Team of the Year" level player after 2005? He was content to do enough to keep his place in the side and earn a cheque. He has never been what he could have been.

There's also the knowledge, from just knowing what he's like as a bloke but also the circumstances of him leaving the Warriors, of why he never fulfilled his potential. It's a matter of public record that Lauiti'iti regards rugby league as less important to him than many other rugby league professionals. I don't hold this against him, but his attitude to the game has always hampered his performance. There are others who care more.

Kinda see where you are coming from, but having watched virtually all Leeds games closely since 1992, he was a player who would pull out a great play in a huge game having been quiet for the majority of it. 2007 GF one of many examples. Interested to hear him playing a full 80 and looking trim for Wakefield at the weekend, having been an impact forward for leeds for the last few years

NAS

Juniors
Thanks to all that contributed. Following careful review of all thoughts, this is the side I've come up with.

1) Krisnan Inu- People forget he started as a fullback and was picked for NZ out of reserve grade. This bloke was going to be anything, and he should be a staple of the NZ side. alas he's squandered his talent and is a fringe first grader. It remains to be seen if he'll be anything more.

2) Eric Grothe Jr- Had he been more interested in his football career, he'd have been a NSW rep winger for a number of years....how's Shinobi doing?

3) Sia Soliola- I remember when he first came into grade. Was going to be the next big thing....then it pittered out.

4) Jake Webster- Here today, gone tomorrow. NZ rep to premier league in a season.

5) Joseph Tomane- signed to the Coast from Melbourne on big money, with wraps. Steve Michaels is keeping him out of the top grade side now....enough said.

6) Arana Taumata- despite his behavioral problems, dogs, roosters, melbourne, penrith, tigers have all signed this clown. When he plays, he's got talent, no doubt.....but how dumb can you be......

7) Todd Carney (c)- Realistically, Carney should be NSW and Australia 5/8 with absolutely no competition. So talented that even Andrew Johns appointed him the next great player of our game. As it's turned out, he's on his third club, his third conviction, and surely his last chance......Get off the grog Todd.

8) Carl Webb- Those of us who saw his first game for Qld remember Webb barnstorming over numerous blues forwards with reckless abandon. A season later, he was playing Qld cup. Signed by Nth Qld on big money, he played some good games reminding us of his talent. Then he'd play a shocker, and we were grateful he didn't play for us.

9) Masada Iosefa- was considered one of the great hopes for penrith, along with Coote and Graham when first coming into grade. This boy is as talented as they get when he's on.

10) Danny Wicks- His story is well documented.

11) Anthony Tupou- Should be an origin certainty. Is barely making Cronulla's side at times.......

12) Frank Pritchard- The tank can destroy a team on his own when he wants to. The problem...he doesn't do it nearly enough. I'm most interested to see what Des gets out of him this year, as he's had results with similar players in the past.

13) Ali Lauititi- People who dispute this blokes position on this list, forget just how good he was in 2002....He was "The Michael Jordan of Rugby League", as talented as Sonny Bill. Then he got an abscess on the elbow. And then he failed to come back. Could have been one of the greats.

14) Willie Mason- Mason is an interesting case. If one looks at Mason's on field performances, one sees a bloke who was devastating at his best, and even on his off days still played good footy. Where he fell down was the impact he had on his team mates. Mason played at the highest level for a number of years. And yet, still with a lot to offer, he's considered to be poison by all clubs.

15) John Sutton- once called "sonny bill in a 6" Sutton has mystified spectators with his talent, and also his inconsistency. My thoughts on Sutton are that he would have reached his potential much sooner had a Craig Bellamy or a Des Hasler got a hold of him early. He's simply that talented. Perhaps Michael Maguire will get the best out of him finally. There are late bloomers in our game.

16) Sione Faumuina- This bloke was a fantastic talent. Could play a myriad of positions competently, and had skills. So what happened? Well, the drink is what happened.

17) Richie Williams- Williams was a child prodigy. Came through the souths lower grades, and had equal amounts of skill, strength and speed. And yet, he couldn't behave himself. Could have been anything. Now he's playing park football.