What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The we must sign Gasnier thread!

macavity

Referee
Uate would be worth $100,000 more with Gasnier next to him.

And the biggest plus of signing Gasnier is that we would no longer be seen as a club for dud players. He is as marquee as they come. We have a lot of money to spend on players for next season. If Gasnier is playing for us in a month then all these players we are talking to will be a lot more excited about joining.

Think of what happened with the Bulldogs a couple of years ago.

Absolutely spot on. We sign Gaz, we will get the other players we are chasing, and probably for less than we would otherwise pay.

Karmawave

Bench
Can't help but feel this whole Gasnier episode is nothing but yet another big name Knights publicity stunt no different to the whole Sonny Bill thing earlier in the year in an attempt to placate the average fans diminishing intelligence levels.

Wish I was wrong.

Jono078

Referee
Uate would be worth $100,000 more with Gasnier next to him.

And the biggest plus of signing Gasnier is that we would no longer be seen as a club for dud players. He is as marquee as they come. We have a lot of money to spend on players for next season. If Gasnier is playing for us in a month then all these players we are talking to will be a lot more excited about joining.

Think of what happened with the Bulldogs a couple of years ago.
Never thought of it like that. Top post.

Burro's administrative reputation goes on the line this week. He will be sleeping little trying to work out how to close this deal. For the first time in our history, money for players is not a problem. I hope Tinkler can have some pull in closing this one.

Last edited:

Guvner

First Grade
JM...you like to suck the fun out of everything don't you...

He's the one looking like an idiot coming in here reassuring himself that Gaz is their man. I'm merely feeding him the bait.

I don't even know why they want him long-term when they could have the other Morris brother in 2012 instead...

:lol: What makes you think i need reassurance? I just find it interesting / amusing how fans from other clubs start making plans for what he will mean to them when they are VERY little chance of getting him.

perverse

Referee
:lol: What makes you think i need reassurance? I just find it interesting / amusing how fans from other clubs start making plans for what he will mean to them when they are VERY little chance of getting him.
clearly you can't distinguish between speculation and planning.

I find it amusing you are that much of a myth that you constantly feel the need to comment on something none of us know the ins and outs of.You carry on like you are George Mimis. Gasnier surely is fed up with choking though. He had that for 8 years or so. The guy played for a rugby team that wore pink week in week out so anything is possible.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'm hearing whispers that he's going to be a Dragon until the end of next year and then he's coming here ...

Nuffy

Bench
I'm hearing whispers that he's going to be a Dragon until the end of next year and then he's coming here ...

Well that doesn't make a lot of sense, he signs a 18 month contract?

Plus we are getting him him at what, 30?

No thanks, spend the money on Inglis.

perverse

Referee
a deal like that would both immensely surprise and disappoint me. can't see it happening. at all.

... and yes, if we miss out on Gaz then we need to make big plays at Inglis.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah that'd be plan stupid...

Throw everything at Inglis. Seroiusly how stupid would it be if Inglis went to the Panthers... We seroiusly must have nothing going for us if that is the case...

Alex28

Coach
Why would he spend 18 months at the Dragons and then move?

He'll go to the Dragons if he wants to sacrifice some cash and be a one club (league) man.

He'll come to us if he wants the cash. Simple as that.

Rudderriffic

Juniors
Honestly, getting him after the Dragons would be akin to borrowing a used condom from a guy that you don't really like.

We need him sooner rather that later if we get him at all. There is hardly any value to us paying overs to a thirty-year old in two seasons time.

Serc

First Grade
Gasnier still Knights' top target
BY ROBERT DILLON
20 May, 2010 09:58 AM

KNIGHTS coach Rick Stone said yesterday that the desire to recruit a world-class player in Mark Gasnier would supersede the need to bolster Newcastle's depleted front-row rotation.
Newcastle's engine-room stocks were dealt a body blow last weekend when Kiwi international Evarn Tuimavave ruptured his Achilles tendon in the 34-18 win against Sydney Roosters.
The loss of Tuimavave for the rest of the season, after the well-documented departures of Danny Wicks and Chris Houston before a ball was kicked, has left the Knights three senior props short of their full complement.
Ben Cross, Dan Tolar, Mark Taufua and Richie Fa'aoso are the only established front-rowers still available.
Rookie Joel Edwards, who is yet to make his NRL debut, and Sione Tovo, who has played one first-grade game, are Stone's standby options, although veteran Steve Simpson is no stranger to life in the front line.
The resignation of Wicks and Houston freed up a reported $200,000 under Newcastle's 2010 salary cap, and Newcastle's strategic development manager Keith Onslow has been searching since the pre-season for a replacement prop.
But Stone said the unexpected possibility of signing Gasnier, who has returned to Australia recently after two years playing French rugby union, would take priority.
St George Illawarra have first option at enlisting Gasnier, who would need their permission to join any rival NRL club before 2012, but there are suggestions the Dragons would struggle to fit him under the salary cap.
Asked if he would prefer to recruit a prop or Gasnier for the balance of the season, Stone replied: "Obviously players of Gasnier's calibre come up only every now and then.
"It's pretty hard to say when you can't put a name or a quality on the prop.
"I'd have to say Gasnier right now. Particularly if we could sign him for more than just this year.
"I don't think we'd be considering signing him for just the rest of the year."
Stone said the Knights had been "scouring" for a replacement prop for months "but we haven't quite come up with something we're comfortable with yet".
If the Knights are to make any mid-season signing, the cut-off date is June 30.
"There may still be something come up there, but we understand June 30 is getting closer and we've got to make sure we make an appropriate decision for the club, because probably whoever comes this year will probably sign for the year after that and even another year after that," Stone said.
Stone said Onslow had "made contact" with Gasnier's manager, George Mimis.
"Keith's putting together some sort of package to suggest that if he [Gasnier] can't go back to Saints, he has a realistic option to go to another club," Stone said.
"I understand that his first choice is to go back to Saints, but obviously there are some issues there with their financial position."
A niggling groin injury to Tolar could be the latest drain on Newcastle's front-row stocks.
Tolar is expected to play against West Tigers at EnergyAustralia Stadium tomorrow night, but if he was ruled out, Cessnock junior Edwards would make his debut.
"At the moment, we've got Joel Edwards ahead of Sione Tovo on performances in the NSW Cup," Stone said.
Stone conceded losing Tuimavave, who had not missed a game in the first 10 rounds, was a "massive blow" for Newcastle.
"We were comfortable with our depth, but obviously that has been a little bit diluted with Evarn's injury," Stone said.
"I think we'll up the ante a little more in the front-row [replacement] situation.
"We've got a bit over a month, and we'll need Keith to scour a bit harder and see what we can flush out."
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...gasnier-still-knights-top-target/1834965.aspx

Johns Magic

Referee
We keep hearing about the June 30 deadline for signing Gasnier but surely he'll make a decision either way before then???