What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wests Tigers are the 2023 wooden spooners

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's bizarre.

Benji and Robbie had three good seasons in a Tigers jersey.

A legendary moment but nothing to suggest they built a great culture across the club in their playing days.

A team that had (across most seasons) Benji, Robbie, Hodgson, Lawrence, Tuikai, Whatiura, Galloway, Heighington, Payten missed the finals 4 years in a row. The 07-09 years were amongst the absolute worst Ive experienced as theres no way we should have been missing finals. 06 I could excuse as we had a diabolical injury run with Hodgo, Benji and Robbie missing huge chunks of the season. When they were all together we beat 3 of the top 4 including both Grand Finalists.

Last edited:
Yep, lets look at an outlier 12 weeks of success that occured during 7 years of failure and base our clubs future off that
The 12 weeks was lightning in a bottle. It was a young footy side playing without fear and confidence set up to 100. The problem is that the club has hung their hat on this for almost 20 years and fans continue to eat it up with a spoon. Anyone who goes against this group gets immediately shunned and booted. Ask Potter & Taylor how getting rid of Robbie goes.

MugaB

Coach
With tonight's loss against the Rorters, there is very little possibility of the Tiggers getting off the bottom with 1 and a half rounds to go. They would have to smash Manly by 30+ next week while the Knights smash Merge by 20+. Not gonna happen.

It's a legit shame, a Dragons spoon would have been so much funnier.

That is back to back spoons for them. Keep this up and you guys will have your own cutlery drawer. #sacktheboard

u4k9mwp0fll91.png
Yes this is true

....#cantEVENsacktheboard

Nuke

Staff member
The more you think about it.

The Tigers winning in 2005 could be the greatest miracle in NRL ever.
I went to the 2005 GF with a mate of mine, and on the way out of the stadium afterwards, I clearly overheard a conversation where a guy stated "I know the Tigers just won the Grand Final, but I still don't rate 'em" ... and I couldn't help but agree. All these years later, I still recall his exact words.

Congrats to them, and well deserved, but it really was kind of like Steven Bradbury winning the gold medal.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Here is a weird stat if Penrith make the GF again this year.

The tigers would have beaten one of the Grand finalists in the past 3 years during the regular season.

Penrith 2021
Parramatta 2022
Penrith 2023

So this came to fruition.

In past 3 seasons it seems like you are a strong chance of being one of the teams in making a GF is actually losing to the Tigers that season you make it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I went to the 2005 GF with a mate of mine, and on the way out of the stadium afterwards, I clearly overheard a conversation where a guy stated "I know the Tigers just won the Grand Final, but I still don't rate 'em" ... and I couldn't help but agree. All these years later, I still recall his exact words.

Congrats to them, and well deserved, but it really was kind of like Steven Bradbury winning the gold medal.

Meh at least it was a full comp

Unlike my teams greatest achievement being beating half a comp whilst jacked to the hills on steroids

RedVDave

First Grade
So this years wooden spooners beat the premiers apart from 2010 & 2002 (when both teams were deducted premiership points) can anyone remember the last time this happened?

Munky

Coach
Lol Roy.

In the article he says they are in $1.4m debt, had a $1.4m deficit in 2023 and a $1.4m loss in the photo caption.

They are all different concepts.

Senile sports journos shouldn't attempt financial analysis.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Literally everyone:

'Why dont the Tigers just copy the Panthers?'

Penrith admitted they lost $50m in the last 10 years setting their juniors up

The $1.4m debt was largely due to heavier spending in the South West, club gets bagged for it.

Wb1234

Referee

After what he’s done for Lebanon and Argentina guys a gun even if some of it was in the wrong rugby code