What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Willie Mason Superthread

chinorocks

Juniors
I'd be putting Wick's money towards front-loading some of the contracts of our current players. Give players like Kidley, Mullen and Houston an extra $50,000 each in 2010, take that money out of their 2011 contracts, offload one or two mid-level players after next year, and all of a sudden you have a lot of money to play with in 2011.

Realistically, what sort of quality player can you expect to sign in 2010 with the value of Wick's contract alone? No one.

Spot on.

macavity

Referee
guys, until he is sacked, he is still getting paid, and still counted towards our cap.

the lawyers will no doubt be looking at his contract to see if he can be sacked before trial - but we may have him for a while yet.

SaltNVinegar

Juniors
I think a place thats not in the spotlight of the Sydney Media such as Newcastle might be a good start for Mason. Of course if he is over playing in the NRL and just needs to milk out as much money in a Japanese code so be it.
The problem is I dont see us offerring him anymore then a 1 year deal because of his patchy form and also the fact we cant offer him more then what overseas has to offer. So that would make a 1 yr deal for almost 200k or whatever more understandle then then 3-4 years. Also do not forget that next year will most probably be Macdougall's last, and the year after that perhaps Simpsons? Money and cap space wont be too much of a problem.

SaltNVinegar

Juniors
edit: Interestingly enough, I think i remember Mason saying something about him still playing for Newcastle, but cant because we dont sign Super League players. Anyone care to find out if this is true?

roopy

Referee
edit: Interestingly enough, I think i remember Mason saying something about him still playing for Newcastle, but cant because we dont sign Super League players. Anyone care to find out if this is true?
Kurt Gidley spent a season as a Mariners junior - and we had Michael Hagan as coach - so being a former Mariner wouldn't count against Willie.

SaltNVinegar

Juniors
Yeah but out of all those Willie would have played in the Super League comp in 1997 at the bulldogs who were a SL club right?

league_nut

Juniors
Mason played for the Mariners not the Knights. He has openly slammed the Knights club and set up and various interviews for there culture and recruitment policies. He was sent to the Dogs by Hagan as the Knights couldnt be bothered driving to Toronto to speak to him. If the knights did sign him they would look like fools

roopy

Referee
Mason played for the Mariners not the Knights. He has openly slammed the Knights club and set up and various interviews for there culture and recruitment policies. He was sent to the Dogs by Hagan as the Knights couldnt be bothered driving to Toronto to speak to him. If the knights did sign him they would look like fools
Mason has slammed everything and everyone at various times, but he recently worked to get his little brother into the Knights juniors after the kid wasn't doing well in Sydney - so he can't hate the place too much.
At the time he left everyone in Newcastle wanted nothing to do with the Mariners, but that is all ancient history now.

cram

Bench

Willie Mason would be the right person to be discussing culture.....being the role model of excellence that he is....:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Burwood

Bench
I could handle Mason at the club. I think he has matured a lot as a person since his knee injury- the amount of times he has made stupid comments in the media (which to me seems to be his biggest concern) has dropped off dramatically in recent times.

roopy

Referee
If we swapped wicks for mason on the same money - we won the friggen lottery - one doesn't deserve a firstgrade spot - the other is close to the best in the country on his day.
He is a challenge to get the most out of, but i'd rather see us trying to fire up Mason than Wicks.

Alex28

Coach
I'd be interested in why the Roosters are so hell bent on getting rid of him if his attitude has improved so greatly over the last few years...

Yosh

Coach
Slammingsam mate even though we don't know each other, if that's true thanks for the christmas gift.

macavity

Referee
I'd be interested in why the Roosters are so hell bent on getting rid of him if his attitude has improved so greatly over the last few years...

Love him or hate him, he is a leader and well liked and respected by his team mates.

Smith doesn't like anyone who challenges his absolute authority - he cannot handle anyone with soft power being in his team, cannot handle anyone who has loyalty from other players. All loyalty must be to him.

It is exactly the same reason he gave Bedsy the punt.

I can't believe anyone can't see the reason right in front of them tbh.

I would love him at our club, and I think we could swing it with the Roosters paying part of the tab. I truly believe he would kill it here - he has a hell of a lot to prove and the talent is most certainly still there.

We would be crazy not to look at it, but I don't think we will - he has a (IMO completely undeserved) stigma attached to him and us signing him won't make good news print.

Latest posts