What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wire

mongoose

Coach
Anyone a fan of the show? Probably the best cop show I've seen along with The Shield. Set in Baltimore with really in depth and complex story lines and very realistic. I've only seen the first 2 seasons. It starts off slow but get really good as it goes on.

Phillips

Referee
The Shield is awesome, probably my 2nd fav show of all time (behind Oz)

have been meaning to get into The Wire for a while now and ive been taping it whenever its been on tv.. just gotta sit down and watch it now.

the shield is great.

but the wire...its something else.

its a slow building show. everything matters. there are no wasted scenes.
the character depth and the way that they are formed is fantastic. its all about the payoff at the end.

its an intense show. it sucks you in gradually.

mid season 3-end of season 4 is the greatest stretch of tv iv'e ever watched.

Ghoulies

Bench
The Wire is just behind Mad Men for me as the best TV drama I've ever seen. Everything said about it being slow-building is true, but the characters are so rich and the story so engrossing, that as Russell said, the final payoff after watching a full season is made absolutely worth it.

mongoose

Coach
the shield is great.

but the wire...its something else.

its a slow building show. everything matters. there are no wasted scenes.
the character depth and the way that they are formed is fantastic. its all about the payoff at the end.

its an intense show. it sucks you in gradually.

mid season 3-end of season 4 is the greatest stretch of tv iv'e ever watched.

What i like about both shows is that there is no clear line between good and bad. Every character just does what they have to do to beat the system.

Cant wait to get into season 3 and 4.

The Dodger

First Grade
The Shield is one of my favourites.

so is the wire.

the best scene is where he is driving pissed off his head singing, then goes around a conrer and hits his car, then goes back and tries it again lol

TiggaPlease

Yeah the wire is crazy good.

I might have to watch it all again.

A great story and well worth watching the whole way through

elyod138

Bench
It's my favorite show of all time (tied with Arrested Development).

I'm currently up to Season 5 on my second watch, it's just as good as the first time.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Omar Coming

ep05_omar_walk_street.jpg

indeed , the most bad ass gay man on TV.

The Wire is the best written and best acted TV drama in history imo.

The only shows that get close are the west wing ( first 4 seasons in particular) the Sopranos and Rome. But the wire just takes it to a whole new level.

fans of the wire might want to check out a couple of other shows it has its roots in. One being 'The corner' a mini series about the Baltimore drug scene. It was written and created by David Simon and Ed Burns who also did the Wire. And offcourse many would have seen it but if you havent check out Homicide:Life on the Street which was heavily written by David Simon.

you come for the king, you best not miss.

you need to watch em twice. sometimes 3 times.

i was hooked when wallace got killed.

also. Omars courtroom scene in season 2 is great.

andrew flap

Bench
Anyone a fan of the show? Probably the best cop show I've seen along with The Shield. Set in Baltimore with really in depth and complex story lines and very realistic. I've only seen the first 2 seasons. It starts off slow but get really good as it goes on.

Mate, it just gets better as the seasons roll along. Better even than the Sopranos.

Tweek

Juniors
im up to episode 9 in season 4 and i have been a bit disappointed in it lately.

i thought seasons 1 and 2 were some of the best TV i have seen but wasn't as excited about season 3 and season 4 isn't as good so far either.

its still good TV, don't get me wrong, i just think season 1 and 2 was much better than season 3 and what i have seen of season 4.

carcharias

Immortal
I am getting to watch it in the middle of the night while feeding a new born.

I have stayed up longer than needed to watch it all.
great show.

maybe
its witten by david simon and ed burns.

david simon did homicide and the corner.

i believe there maybe some oz connections. definanty is in the acting. Avon, Bodie, LT Daniels, Frank Sabotka (sason 2) were all in oz

Cliffhanger

Coach
Watched the entire series over a few weeks again instead of studying for uni. This show is by far the most intelligent cop show in existence. It's a lot more realistic than the others and so damn entertaining. Love the characters, love the insight and I love how thought provoking it is.

elyod138

Bench
Watched the entire series over a few weeks again instead of studying for uni. This show is by far the most intelligent cop show in existence. It's a lot more realistic than the others and so damn entertaining. Love the characters, love the insight and I love how thought provoking it is.

I think it's the most intelligent show in existence, full stop.

Treme is worth checking out too. Completely different to The Wire, but you can tell it's from the same man.