What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The World Cup Thread

What a fan-f**king-tastic game of football that was! Surely now the naysayers will admit that this is one of, if not the, greatest achievement in Australian sports history.

A funny thing at work today too... I was there early, as usuall, and the playground was quite deserted. All of a sudden I hear a rumbling... getting louder... then I hear what the rumbling actually is. It's a 2 busloads of Hunter Sports High School students, walking in a seething pack, chanting "OLE! OLE! OLE! OLE!... AUSSIE! AUSSIE!". Flags waving, scarves on, the whole box and dice.

One of the other teachers commented to me "listen to that will you?". I said "nah, I'm not just listening... I might go and join em!".

An expertly conducted (by me) ten minute singalong ensued, which rose to a crescendo that drew attention from passing motorists.

Good times!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Sure is Gene. Now Guus, for the sake of everyone in the country, I know you made a mistake by putting big spider in goals (of which I hope you NEVER do again), but surely you can't be so stupid to have two team selections wrong in two games by putting Wilkshere back into the team. Surely Bresciano walks into the starting team.

IanG

Coach
So much for the Yanks being ranked supposedly 4th in the World. Well Australia is in the Round of 16 While the Yanks are going home.

Alex28

Coach
FIFA are a joke - he was clearly Yellow Carded three times and the referee clearly said "two" after the second card - so why isn't FIFA coming down hard on the ref? There was absolutely no control of the match for the last 10 minutes.

Emerton had a great game I thought and he had nothing to lose when he got his second yellow card - he was out for the next game already and it looked a tad ominous when he was under attack.

Kalac must not be starting keeper again until he starts playing regularly throughout the year. It's all very well to be playing for AC Milan but if he is not playing regularly he wont be able to play to his best. He needs to get himself to a team and actually start playing rather than being a benchie - no matter where that bench is.

Viduka has a role as a forward and he does that very effectively - but he is not a great striker. He does allow the bother forwards and midfielders to do their jobs better. His value is greater than scoring goals - but I'm sure R&BK gets that.

Italy wont be easy but they are beatable. We will have to defend better than we did today but the attitude is somewhat different - today we had to score and achieve a result and defence went out the window when we had to start chasing goals after 2 minutes.

We have overachieved and we have nothing to lose against Italy - it's up to them to beat us now :)

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've heard people call him a world class striker, just not true. A world class striker creates oppurtunities for himself and his team. Viduka does one, but he doesn't do it very well. Aloisi is a better striker IMO.

And a striker doesn't need to drill home goals? Please, it is their main purpose. Strikers, also known as centre forwards, forwards, and attackers, and formerly inside forwards, are the players on a team in football in the row nearest to the opposing team's goal, who are therefore principally responsible for scoring goals.

You don't play football either.

I don't play anymore, but I played for the better part of my life (right up until I quit University). You going off and looking up 'striker' on Wikipedia doesn't impress me. Viduka's not overrated at all. Kewell's the one who gets the endless stream of praise whenever it comes to Australia - if anything, the remainder of the team are vastly underrated - particularly the likes of Bresciano, Cahill, and Neill.

As Alex says, Viduka does one very large part of his job very well - he gives the midfielders and other forward players room to work. I do agree that he doesn't strike the ball as cleanly as he should, but when we're winning anyway, I'm not phased. Aloisi is decent, but isn't near as good as Viduka at giving his team-mates room to work.

stevo

Juniors
Did i hear that Barcelona were interested in Neill? Neill was awsome again. So underratted. He's a champ, saved our butt a few times again!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Did i hear that Barcelona were interested in Neill? Neill was awsome again. So underratted. He's a champ, saved our butt a few times again!

Not to mention he's a dream-boat :roll: :lol:

I think a few of the players were mentioned as possibles to go to Barcelona. Isn't one of the Socceroos' coaching staff headed there in an assistant's role?

stevo

Juniors
One of the commentators was saying something about it. I agree with you totally RBK, he has been outstanding! He's been the main reason i've been watching the last two games. Watched the Japan game and thought he was great so i watched the rest. I love the way he wont back out of any tackle, Hages should make the forwards watch him play and take notes. I'm not really a soccer fan but players like him draw people like me to the game.

RABK

Referee
We should sign the bloke who tackled Viduka...we could have used him vs the Warriors last week. :lol:

Alex28

Coach
"The boss has given me the occasion because Schwarzie's made a couple of mistakes, and now I've come in for my chance, and made a mistake as well. It's not nice, but at the end of the day we're big men and we've got to accept it. I don't know if this will cost me. As I said, Schwarzie made a couple of mistakes, and now I've made a pretty big one." - Zeljko Kalac

Is he f***ing serious? Schwartzer has let in 3 goals - one he was fouled on but not given, one was a pretty hard miss (and Kalac is in no position to bag him about missing shots) and the other was virtually impossible for him to stop given there were no defenders back to help him!

This guy is a serious tool. The ego is astounding!

RABK

Referee
What a team mate.

There is obvious dislike between the two.

Schwartzer has to be keeper. I don't how well known the Croatian keeper is, but he was outstanding i thought while Kalac is junk. It could have ended up been the difference.

Latest posts