What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The World Cup Thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've heard rumours that the current coach at Portugal is interested in the Aussie job. Anyone got any thoughts on him?

antonius

Coach
aqua_duck said:
The penalty was a disgrace, Inzaghi obviously taught grosso well.

However I think tonight proved to me why Hiddink is a good coach but not a great coach. Look at Hiddink's record and he can get average teams and bring them to a new level, make them over achieve but he hasn't got a killer instinct I don't think, which is why he hasn't really had much success coaching big clubs in europe outside of Holland. I really think we dropped the ball after Materazzi got sent off and leaving Aloisi on the bench until the 82nd minute was something I couldn't understand. A great coach like Arsene Wenger or Jose Pekerman would have tried to win the game earlier as soon as italy were down to 10.
Agree completely, I was looking for Aloisi to come on as soon as Materazzi went off. The Italians were sitting in defence waiting for one opportunity, we should have utilised the possesion we enjoyed after the send off by getting someone of quality up front with Viduka, I'm sure we could have gotten the goal that possesion said we should have had. I'll prob get crucified for this but I seriously think Viduka is not the sort of guy to be playing striker virtually alone. He takes way too long to go for the jugular, and appears better suited to providing rather than finishing. All in all though we have excelled all expectations, had Italy kept 11 on the field I think we would have really struggled, we had the game for the taking, but just couldn't get there. It's been a fantastic period for the game here, and with the Asian league starting it will only serve to grow the game more here, I think we will become a reg in the finals in future rather than a once in a while team that we have been in the past. Finally you have to feel for Lucas Neill who has been our player of the tournament IMO, a penalty awarded against him in the last minute, a penalty I might add that shouldn't have been given, the bloke fell over because of nothing Neill did. I hope he isn't remembered because of that, he saved our skins numerous times during this world cup, he is a class player.

antonius

Coach
Just heard Graeme Arnold on the radio. He was basically suggesting our elimination had undertones of fixing. He said that it appeared FIFA only wanted the high ranking teams featuring in the finals, and if they didn't want us there they should've said so in the first place. Now if he's serious with those sort of comments then he should be sacked now, that is an embarrasing statement to make, everyones dissapointed but to suggest what he was is just sour grapes of the first order, and I for one think Arnold has no place having anything to do with our national team, those comments will serve no purpose.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Actually, he's not alone in suggesting it. Match-fixing rumours have floated around this entire tournament, and not exclusively from Australian fans. The European nations contribute a lot to the kitty of FIFA - it makes sense that their presence in the finals is beneficial for FIFA.

Not agreeing with the accusation, just pointing out that it's a very popular one this World Cup.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Well it does make sense that FIFA want the higher ranked sides in the quarter-finals and on. We have copped some pretty controversial decisions throughout the tournament so its only "fair" that another controversial decision sends us home.

antonius

Coach
Sorry guys I don't believe it for one minute. The refereeing in general across the board has been fairly poor for all the games.

TooheysNew

Coach
Just a quick note to remind people to watch what they say. Anything suggesting corruption will be deleted, unless it is a sourced quote. Cheers.

antonius

Coach
Yep fully understand Dilly, I was just quoting what had been on the radio this arvo, it was actually Arnold doing the talking, so I assumed that would be OK? if not then I'm cool if it's deleted.

i totally agree with antonius. We dont need any more reason for fifa to dislike us, Arnold has now just lost the aussie job (if he had it)

as for Felipe Scolari (Portugal coach) coaching us, thatd be so awesome. Won the world cup with Brazil in 2002 after it looked like Brazil might not even qualify for the tournament, coach portugal to euro 2004 final, and is currently doing a great job with portugal this yr.

TooheysNew

Coach
antonius said:
Yep fully understand Dilly, I was just quoting what had been on the radio this arvo, it was actually Arnold doing the talking, so I assumed that would be OK? if not then I'm cool if it's deleted.
No that's ok - it was more of a forewarning.

CWBush said:
I've heard rumours that the current coach at Portugal is interested in the Aussie job. Anyone got any thoughts on him?

Yes please!

The current Portuguese coach is Luis Felipe Scolari, known universally in the football world as "Big Phil". He is the coach that took Brazil to the 2002 World Cup, and is achieving great things with a young Portuguse side at the moment.

He would be a more than able replacement for Hiddink.

astrogirl

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/news/aussie-update/hiddink-says-no-to-parade/2006/06/27/1151174165303.html

Socceroos disconsolate

The Socceroos reacted with anger and disbelief at the manner of their Cup exit.

"I'm furious," said midfielder Tim Cahill.

"The feeling gets worse every time I talk about it. You fall over and you get a penalty. Everything has been against us.

"All that hard work, and we still don't get through. We should still be in this tournament. Lucas hasn't touched him; he's just fallen over.

"We have watched it in there (on TV in the change rooms) time and time again. What more do you want us to say?"

The reaction was much the same from every Australian player.

Jason Culina said: "If the penalty was 10 minutes before that, it probably wouldn't hurt so much."

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer said: "The way the game went, we didn't feel we deserved to go out that way."

Defender Scott Chipperfield said: "With a decision like that, it's really hurting.

"It looks like he (Fabio Grosso) dived over him (Lucas Neill). It didn't look like there was any contact."
:( :( :(

macavity

Referee
cj_58173.jpg

stevo

Juniors
astrogirl said:
Talented as well.

How true is that. The first thing i noticed about him was his never say die attitude. He is simply awsome. If it had of been Viduka that had been penalised then i would not have felt so much pain (he should have been subbed for Kennedy) Lucas Neill played his arse off in all 4 games and was our best player. It was such a cruel blow. Like alot of us on here, i have never been so devistated by a game of Footy.

Who's up for a trip to South Africa in 2010?

astrogirl

First Grade
stevo said:
How true is that. The first thing i noticed about him was his never say die attitude. He is simply awsome. If it had of been Viduka that had been penalised then i would not have felt so much pain (he should have been subbed for Kennedy) Lucas Neill played his arse off in all 4 games and was our best player. It was such a cruel blow. Like alot of us on here, i have never been so devistated by a game of Footy.

Who's up for a trip to South Africa in 2010?
He is such a star. My fave socceroo for sure, and no - that's not just because he's easy on the eye. I hope he doesn't feel responsible for the loss.

whos everyone supporting now?

me: England (My family has english blood) and Argentina (Leo Messi, even tho he doesnt play much)