What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The World Cup Thread

astrogirl

First Grade
According to media reports Guus has had them working hard at training. Maybe they thought this game would be a stroll in the park and so they weren't fired up for it - it was after all a friendly.

And as TJS mentioned it's good that Kewell and Cahill got decent game time.

I will be surprised if we don't see a good performance from the boys on Monday night!

The Devil

Bench
The word International Friendly doesnt appear in Hiddink's book. Greece and Holland both claimed that Australia played too hard when it was a "friendly"

The socceroos slacked off due to the nature of their opponents (Liechtenstein is not up to Holland or Greece's standards) and Hiddink rightfully blasted them. Their recent performances against strong opposition has made them think they're a team better than they are. It all went to their head and didn't show up to play with the same level on intensity that CAN get the socceroos across many tough games, as seen against Greece and Holland.

aqua_duck

Coach
Our defence is a real worry IMO, and lets face it there's no Adriano's and Ronaldo's in Liechtenstein, neither are there any Prso's or Klasnic's.

northey

First Grade
at home .... ahahah i will be happy if we win, but it doesn''t really interest me that much

Misanthrope

Staff member
does anyone here from brisbane or that area know of any setup where heaps of people will be to watch the game. at the moment im only going to some pub but i want to be where theres gonna be great atmosphere.

There should be one. The Newcastle Live Site was described as 'one of many around Australia' and it's being organised by the Newcastle Jets. I'd assume that the Roar would be taking part as well - since it's good business for them to grab the attention of more fans.

Doctor

Bench
Is the Ashes on already? :?

Sir Knight82 said:
We might bump into eachother in the land of nod!

Looks like it's going to be pretty cosy at the blanket show, because I'll probably be snoozing too.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'll be glued to the telly on Monday night at 10.30pm. I'm confused with all this time difference cr@p though. I could have sworn it was on Sunday night, but apparently not. Carn the Socceroos!!!

northey

First Grade
yeah that is what i thought too. cause i thought the combined footy show special is on sunday night previewing the game?

aqua_duck said:
Our defence is a real worry IMO, and lets face it there's no Adriano's and Ronaldo's in Liechtenstein, neither are there any Prso's or Klasnic's.

Nor are there any Nakamura's, Nakata's or Yanagasawa's (sp?).

I agree. Apart from Neill, our defence is ordinary.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The absence of Culina, Grella, and Bresciano was a huge part of that game. Our defence will always be sh*t - but without a decent midfield we were bound to look bad.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Anyone burning the midnight oil for tonight's clashes?

England vs. Portugal was a snore-fest with the sole goal being an own goal early in the piece, but the nil all draw between Sweden and Trinidad & Tobago was just amazing. End to end stuff and plenty of courageous defence from an undermanned T&T side. I love a good underdog story.

The Devil

Bench
CWBush, it was England vs Paraguay... and yes it was quite a dull game.

Sweden and T&T was a good game. T&T repelled wave after wave after wave of Swedish attack and held on valiantly for a 0-0 draw. I felt Sweden just tried to force the issue too much trying to use their numerical advantage

Atm its Argentina vs Ivory Coast. It has been quite a physical game thus far and is not without controversy. A header from an Argie is debated to have crossed the line, goal not given. Saviola scored from an offside position, making amends for the disallowed goal? perhaps.

2-0 half time.

Misanthrope

Staff member
CWBush, it was England vs Paraguay... and yes it was quite a dull game.

I know. It's called not thinking straight because it's 4am.

What was the final score in Argentina vs. Ivory Coast?

Well 2 nights down, its 2:50 PM and i just woke up and im still sooooooooooo tired. i dont know how long i can do this for, but i can say that i am loving every second of the world cup, so awesome.

C dubs: Arg 2 (crespo, Saviola) CIV 1 (Drogba)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Bleh, none of tonight's matches really appeal to me. Holland vs. Serbia/Montenegro should be alright. Is it Mexico vs. Iran after that? And someone's playing Angola too, right?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
After 32 heart-wrenching years, seven failed world cup campaigns, at 11pm tonight, the wait for Australia to return to the world stage will finally be over. I personally cannot wait to hear the Australian National Anthem being blasted out of the Fritz Walter Stadium in Kaiserslauten. I'm pumped!!!!

Prediction:
Australia 1 (Bresciano 37th)
Japan 0

Latest posts