What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The worst fads in the game?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Agree.

My Warriors jersey this year feels overly tight around my neck, compared to last year. Boo!

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
The scaffolding "grandstand" at Lidcombe and then Campbelltown.

"Rugby League Red Faces" with Bernard King!

Wests is Best

Juniors
Back when channel 10 used to call the matches in the 1980's the replay's of tries had some cool backing music. There were about 4 different tunes and Billy Anderson giving his analysis of how the try was scored.
Channel 10 were fantastic for that sort of thing. If you liked rugby league clips put to music, you had to have your BETA video ready to record on grand final day as they would play quite a few throughout the day. I still have a lot of those video clips somewhere at mum and dads house.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Inferno said:
not quite a fad, but no longer with us none the less.

Players names on the back of their jerseys. I liked it.

Fuggen collarless jerseys seems to be a fad these days as well.

I couldn't agree more

Bloody collarless jerseys look ridiculous compared to the old ones!

redVgirl

Juniors
fauxhawks are exactly what it sounds like - a fake/soft version of a mohawk

last year there was a period when alot of players were getting stupid haircuts. coops still has that hideous rat tail. it hurts my heart.

redVgirl

Juniors
oh god yeh he did too. i wanna see a jason gillespie inspired mullet trend take over the NRL in 07. footy was so much better when players had mullets. i miss the 80s and early 90s.

*sigh*

sydraider

First Grade
Rex Mossop, was it "Flabbergasted"he used to spout out all the time?

I vaguely remember as a kid, the stage prop falling on top of him :lol:

Remember the Pass the Ball competitions on sevens sunday morning show I think?

Knightmare

Coach
I'm hoping that t-shirt jerseys with short sleeves are a fad as well. Look bloody ridiculous. Just remember that in 1989, all but 4 of the 16 teams in the NSWRL had v-necks. 10 years later they were gone, and League jerseys had returned to having a collar.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I personally hate how they glorify the 80's how tough they were & how they use to get into mass punch-ups.

Yet when these acts are done now we condemn them.

P.S The players are just as tough, if not tougher these days.

sunny

loved the funny old music they used to have with the state bank/mmi replay on channel 10 in the late 80s-early 90s

jamesgould

Juniors
petetheileet said:
hahah couldn't agree more, dale shearer comes to mind in a test match v the kiwi's

1993 test series, probably the last kicking duel ever. I requested it on Boots n All last year, Graham Hughes' commentary was "Australia win on points", which made me wonder how you would win a kicking duel by knock-out!

sunny

simple- you knock the entire crowd out, boring them to death with a silly kicking duel.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
redVgirl said:
oh god yeh he did too. i wanna see a jason gillespie inspired mullet trend take over the NRL in 07. footy was so much better when players had mullets. i miss the 80s and early 90s.

*sigh*

Unfortunately Unions beaten us to that one, Jason Eaton (All Black lock) has a mullet that would make Gillespie cry with envy.

JoeD

First Grade
Unfortunately Unions beaten us to that one, Jason Eaton (All Black lock) has a mullet that would make Gillespie cry with envy.
When asked about it in an intyerview he said he was going for 18 inches like Billy Ray Cyrus :)