What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Zeb Zeb Man

lucablight

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Wags has always been the bloke they put on the key attacking player. Watch the replay of the game against the Sharks last year at Toyota. Before Wags went off he was monstering Kimmorley every time he had the ball. In the second half they almost came back and beat us. Wags does the 1% jobs that need to be done. As maligned as he can be for not passing the ball if he is given a job he normally does it.

It's amazing how we can be absolutely hammering a player one minute and romanticising them the next....

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
It's amazing how we can be absolutely hammering a player one minute and romanticising them the next....

it's called opinion and everyone has one. ;-)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Id also like to say well done to Zebby, he is a local lad from my area, a few years older then me, remember seeing him play just before i gave league away and even then he looked streets ahead of his age bracket.

The Colonel

Immortal
lucablight said:

I reluctantly want him in the side. With senior players down on form and possibly no Morrison they certainly need a senior player to stand up in defence. You can't carry both he and Robinson in the same side but Wags will do the job he needs to if selected.

Bigfella

Coach
Wags has always been the bloke they put on the key attacking player.

That's right Colonel. I think we should persist with that when we play the Tigers. He can mark Benji. I'll get him a seat in the concourse ...

Just joking - I think we could do worse. The defense in the second half was the worst I have seen from us since the 1990's.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree.

Wags talks a lot on defence, too.

He's just a waste of attack. If he ran hard, then it wouldn't matter...But he surrenders as soon as he's hit...

Hurriflatch

Referee
Maybe Parra should go play in the NFL

You can put guys like Wags on in defence the pull them off once Parra get the ball

Eelementary

Post Whore
:lol:

Where'd you put him, though?

He's not agile and mobile enough to play Strong or Free Safety, or even Cornerback.

Actually, he may be a good linebacker...He's big, tough and strong...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
If Wagon wants to go play NFL I have no problem with that, but the Parramatta Eels would not lower themselves to play at that level of inferior sport.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's not THAT bad...

Slow, true...But when you watch a good game, it can be wuite good.

Not anywhere near as good as League, mind you - which isn't anywhere near as good as watching the Eels go around...But still...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Eelementary said:
It's not THAT bad...

Slow, true...But when you watch a good game, it can be wuite good.

Not anywhere near as good as League, mind you - which isn't anywhere near as good as watching the Eels go around...But still...

I can't help but think that a professional RL side that trained for it would destroy any NFL team at Gridiron.

The thing that gets me is that once you are past the line of scrimmage you can still pass the ball (fumble backwards) and as far as I can tell it is play on. If they were smart, a coach could exploit that as defences tend to all crowd around the attacker with the ball. A quick long pass back to a runner and they would be shot. Also they could use the old Rugby maul to drive through the defence.

BG

Juniors
Eelementary said:
I just don't understand Wagsy...We've all seen him throw some beautiful passes (the one to Burt from the scrum against the Cowboys last year immediately springs to mind), and yet he doesn't do it often...

He is a talented and passionate bloke, but he just doesn't do it all the time...

He was great in attack in the centres early last year -- both running and passing game. It may be that he's better suited nowadays as a powerhouse centre than a small lock. Certainly, as far as his passing game is concerned he's a fine link man in the three-quarters and can also throw a flick pass or offload to his winger in a tight situation. What he does lack are the creative skills around the ruck area to be a ball-playing lock or 5/8.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Ref in Seat 196 said:
I can't help but think that a professional RL side that trained for it would destroy any NFL team at Gridiron.

The thing that gets me is that once you are past the line of scrimmage you can still pass the ball (fumble backwards) and as far as I can tell it is play on. If they were smart, a coach could exploit that as defences tend to all crowd around the attacker with the ball. A quick long pass back to a runner and they would be shot. Also they could use the old Rugby maul to drive through the defence.

A fumble is play on, yes.

But a fumble is hard to decide - for example, if the ball carrier's knee is on the ground as he's losing the ball, it's not a fumble, and it counts as a completion.

It's different to League.

But if the RL team played Gridiron, they'd get slaughtered - not even the biggest, strongest RL player could compare to the biggest, strongest NFL Defensive Linesman (who are often 6'4" and 300+ pounds!).

Latest posts