What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is why players need someone to babysit them in interviews....

Pugzley

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/the-onepunch-rules-is-turning-rugby-league-into-a-grubby-game/story-fndujljl-1226976727873

These people are f*cking morons!!!

We wonder why NRL is considered a sport for bogans and thugs, then you hear something like this...

"I should be allowed to punch people in the face because thats how normal society works"
- The great Paul Gallen (pictured here)

i-can-count-to-potato.png

This is why players shouldnt be allowed to talk.

The NRL needs to put some seriously good Brand Managers into every club just to filter shit like this from being said by players in public....

f**king wowser.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Question for the why-don?t-they-wear-dresses crowd
What is it about these fights that you like so much? There's little to no technique or skill involved and most of the
so-called ?best fights? are literally two grown men grabbing each other by their jerseys and trading completely wild punches with absolutely no technique involved. If it were a boxing or MMA match, you?d be jumping off your seat asking for your money back upon watching such a dull fight.

Why did the battle of brookvale generate so much hype, why does it continue to be used for marketing, why is there now a strong dislike between the teams that encourages fans to attend the games between these teams? It's theatre, entertaing, creates a buzz, shows players actually care, creates rivallaries etc. many seem to forget at the top level NRL is fundamentally entertainment, a bit of a stink is entertaining and 99% of the viewers love it.

StormHi

Juniors
Why did the battle of brookvale generate so much hype, why does it continue to be used for marketing, why is there now a strong dislike between the teams that encourages fans to attend the games between these teams? It's theatre, entertaing, creates a buzz, shows players actually care, creates rivallaries etc. many seem to forget at the top level NRL is fundamentally entertainment, a bit of a stink is entertaining and 99% of the viewers love it.

On the head PR

StormHi

Juniors
The game Has for 108 years done ok, had decent participation rates and just got a billion $ TV deal, all whilst the very rare punch up was accepted. Problem with people like you and Dave smith is you create your own realities out of unlikely risk and before you know it the game is a poor shadow of its former self and in ten years time we look at it and ask how the f**k did we end up here? Like many afl fans I talk to now say.

Running into people twenty times a game, tackling people to the ground etc is also not the norm in society, sport is sport and not normal society. You swear at each other, try to knock each other out and occasionally end up in a bit of a punch up, none of which is acceptable in "normal society" and the very reason people love to play and watch contact sport

Reality is mums are going to choose non contact sport over any contact sport if they are risk averse. The few non injuries punches that got thrown at the top lvl of RL is going to have zero impact on those soccer/cricket mums. Stats show jnr RL is as safe for kids to play as any sport, cotton wool mums will still choose soccer for their precious kids.

Well put PR

supercharger

Juniors

The "battle of brookvale" is an example of what I was talking about, there was no skill and no technique involved. Just a lot of wild punches thrown while holding each other's jerseys. Just Turrible. did it move the needle for this fixture at all though, either in terms of attendance or viewership? And who was using it as a marketing tool was it the league or one of the tv networks?

ggmu

Juniors
When I want to watch a fight I order a UFC or boxing event. When I want to watch League I tune into to fox or nine. I don't expect the 2 fighter to suddenly pick up a ball and start passing it around so I also don't want to see 2 guys that r ment to be doing that start trying to fight each other.

In my opinion it not tough or brave to fight on a football field or on the street. Step in the ring or cage if these guys wanna show how "tough" they are.

40/20

Juniors
You merkins crying about 1 punch kills are so f**king stupid. Punches don't kill people the after effects do. Ie falling to the floor and cracking your skull. The players play on a grassy field not concrete. Truth is you can do more brain damage to a person with a stiff palmed slap to the head then with a punch.

The reason why boxers end up with so many head injuries is because of the gloves. The added weight and type of impact is what causes detached brains and concussions. MMA gloves and bare knuckle punches do more external damage ie cuts and abrasions but do very little internal damage due to the type of impact.

The mass hysteria of one punch kills has more to do with a king hit to the back of the head or Neck and people falling onto table corners and concrete after being KO'd and cracking their skulls or getting concussed and not getting treatment and dying in their sleep.

Seriously people like Bunniesmong who bang on about it. Really have 0 clue what they are talking about.
This times 1000.well said StormHi
There is nothing dangerous about punches and they only ever do any damage if someone hits there head on something after being hit
No one has ever proven otherwise

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This times 1000.well said StormHi
There is nothing dangerous about punches and they only ever do any damage if someone hits there head on something after being hit
No one has ever proven otherwise

Is 40/20 your IQ levels before and after the apparent brain injury that has previously been afflicted on you?

Here's something that has been proven - not being punched does a lot less damage than being punched.

Origin 2 wasn't pathetically grubby because punching on has been outlawed, it's because grubs played in that game. Club games don't descend into that sort of BS, but Origin did because of the likes of Reynolds, Hodges, Scott etc think Origin toughness is going the grub.

Go give Tommy R a call and start up a fist-throwing, stubby-smashing league-MMA hybrid game and let the rest of us watch rugby league.

kbw

Bench
Geez Louise I can't believe some people are so stupid as to post stuff like StormHi and 40/20 have just done. Especially you 40/20, what is medically proven is that any hit to the head causes some damage, not matter how hard, the amount of damage and the time to repair it varies depending on the intensity and the location.

I have to say that there are times when I think that a certain player just needs to get belted, but thats just foolish emotion.

There is a very good reason that SOO 2 was grubby and as Penrose Warrior said its because of the grubs that were there. The fact that players like Cameron Smith can get away with the absolute dishonorable filth that he does sets a standard that is killing rl

40/20

Juniors
Is 40/20 your IQ levels before and after the apparent brain injury that has previously been afflicted on you?

Here's something that has been proven - not being punched does a lot less damage than being punched.

Geez Louise I can't believe some people are so stupid as to post stuff like StormHi and 40/20 have just done. Especially you 40/20, what is medically proven is that any hit to the head causes some damage, not matter how hard, the amount of damage and the time to repair it varies depending on the intensity and the location.

Relax guys I was just trolling. I got yelled at on here a couple of years ago for suggesting zero tolerance for any contact with the head

kbw

Bench
Relax guys I was just trolling. I got yelled at on here a couple of years ago for suggesting zero tolerance for any contact with the head

I should have guessed .. before jumping on my high horse... :)

Canard

Immortal
The "battle of brookvale" is an example of what I was talking about, there was no skill and no technique involved. Just a lot of wild punches thrown while holding each other's jerseys. Just Turrible. did it move the needle for this fixture at all though, either in terms of attendance or viewership? And who was using it as a marketing tool was it the league or one of the tv networks?

I think your argument has merit, your concentration on technique and skill is not helping you though.

People don't just watch sport for technique and skill.

moik

Bench
I've watched league since the 70s and have seen thousands of punches thrown. None of them did any damage.

Except Bob Cooper. He did some damage.

Latest posts