What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thompson & Pettybourne

bjm8

Juniors
So would I.

I think Tim Sheens is still one of the better coaches in the NRL but I think he has been at the club too long as has gone stale. I think some of our signings are puzzling. We have a very good 20's side at the moment with 2-3 very good prosepcts in the backrow and we sign Bodene Thompson, it doesn't make sense.

I remember that when the Geelong coach left he said he had given every thing he knew to the players but after such a long time at the club it was time for new ideas, this for mine is where the Tigers are at now. I think the board really need to let Sheens go at the end of this year.

What I think is pretty damning on Sheens is the success of the U20's and the lack of conversion we have of those players through to first grade. The boys played in a GF 2 years ago and are running 1st now, and who have we bought through successfully other than Woods?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess Fifita and BMM maybe?

Still you are dead right, I wouldn't be surprised if most of those players have ended up at other clubs.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grand final teams for the 2009 NYC

Tigers
1 - Jake Mullaney
2 - Joel Jackson
3 - Joel Wisbey
4 - Jake Clarke
5 - Sama Sauvao
6 - Robert Lui
7 - Darren Nicholls
8 - Andrew Fifita
9 - Chris Corby
10 - Aaron Woods
11 - Simon Dwyer
12 - Jason Schirnack
13 - Matt Hyland
14 - Jay Florimo
15 - Monikura Tikinau
16 - David Fifita
17 - Rhys Curran

Melbourne
1 - Gareth Widdop
2 - Sam Joe
3 - Justin O'neill
4 - Pita Maile
5 - Matt Duffie
6 - Dane Chisholm
7 - Luke Kelly
8 - Pulou Vaituutuu
9 - James Woolford
10 - Jesse bromwich
11 - Robbie Rochow
12 - Theodore Stuart
13 - Billy Rogers
14 - Jai Jones-Wiegold
15 - Jordan McLean
16 - Kevin Proctor
17 - Fred Makimare

super_coach

First Grade
I think our conversion rate from u20s to FG is pretty par with most clubs. In reality only a couple of positions in the top grade come up for grabs each year and most of the time coaches are looking at a proven 1st grader from another club. Just highlights the need for a super strong comp between u20s and FG as most of the u20s drift away from the game very quickly due lack of opportunities and lack of dollars.

Signing 2 new back rowers is interesting. Obviously we are losing Ellis, but is the fact we've signed 2 saying Dwyer is not going to be back for next season?

leoc

Juniors
Ok, as I've been saying for 2 seasons Sheens needs to be flicked especially if we run the risk of Farah going elsewhere. I view him in similar light to Elias, a Tiger for life.
Bodene being signed intrigues me. I suspect Ayshford may be on the outer and is only in because of injury to Lawrence. Is he the replacement for Blake?

R2Coupe

Juniors
What I think is pretty damning on Sheens is the success of the U20's and the lack of conversion we have of those players through to first grade. The boys played in a GF 2 years ago and are running 1st now, and who have we bought through successfully other than Woods?

Lui, Dwyer, Tedesco, Fifita and Simona come to mind.

I heard Sheens speaking a year ago on radio and he mentioned usually 2 or 3 may make it to the NRL from a side. He mentioned 7 or 8 from the 2011/2012 team because it contains very good players.

innsaneink

Referee
he could play second row exactly the same way he plays at prop (works for Gallen, Watmough, Gibbs etc)

was only suggesting what i reckon might happen to these two guys under Sheens
Youre becoming Sheensified
If it aint broke......

Lui, Dwyer, Tedesco, Fifita and Simona come to mind.

I heard Sheens speaking a year ago on radio and he mentioned usually 2 or 3 may make it to the NRL from a side. He mentioned 7 or 8 from the 2011/2012 team because it contains very good players.

That is what I am saying. This years 20's is very good and we need to make room in the top 25 for the 7-8 that can make it. Signing guys like Thompson doesn't help unless he is coming on a second tier contract which I doubt it.

You look at the Broncos team this year and alot of the came from the 2008 NYC winning team. Canberra still have a large number of their 2008 NYC grand finalist side as does Melbourne with their 2009 NYC winning side. Our 2009 NYC grand finalist side hasn't produced like other 3 sides. We are only left with Aaron Woods with Lui and Andrew Fifita at other clubs. Dwyer would still be a NRL level as well apart from a freak injury but still it is a low return compared to the other sides.

In my opinion Manania Rudolph, Marika Koroibete, David Nofoaluma, Jacob Miller, Curtis Sironen, James Tedesco ( Still young enough for NYC) , Matt Groat ( Still young enough for NYC), Brenden Santi, Sauaso Soe, Kyle Lovett, Andrew Vella will all be good enough to be NRL players if they avoid injury.

There may be a few more as well and the Balmain under 18's have some very good prospects as well.

For me our next 5 years could be great if we keep the right juniors and add them to the squad. We won the title in 2005 with Sheens backing a lot of young players in: Marshall, Farah, Fulton, Gibbs, Harrision etc.

We know Ellis is going but i dont see a whole lot of value left in keeping Lote,Utai,Reddy and Heighington,there best days are behind them.

Next year I think we will let Lote, Utai and Heighinton (think he will go to England) go and probably Moltzen as well.

Next year we will have enough experience in : Farah, Marshall, Blair, Fulton, Anasta and Galloway.

We will have players that have played enough first grade in: Ashyford, Lawrence, Bell, Reddy, Pettybourne and Woods.

Add in the young players and it should be a good squad next year.

R2Coupe

Juniors
I can't disagree with the U20s players you have identified for the NRL or those to move on.

It is a good position to be in with more coming from SG Ball and Keebra Park. What it means is the system as Sheens envisaged is now working. When he was first signed, he made it clear the strength of the Tigers lay in their juniors. We could not perhaps match the big money at the time (this I think has changed) but we could become much better in producing junior talent.

As far as Bodene is concerned, I see him returning back to the fold. He was at Keebra in the same team as Ben Teo and it will be interesting to see how he develops noting this will be Teo's 3rd club. Pettybourne also is a very good buy.

Titanic

First Grade
They're two good buys imho. Pettybourne is quality and Thompson should blossom under some sort of coaching ... he doesn't get any where he is now :-(

Thompson should blossom under some sort of coaching
is that meant to read, some sort of decent coaching?

Hopefully the Tigers will announce their new 1st grade coach for 2013 soon, so all players for 2013 and beyond will get some sort of decent coaching:roll:

b.bear

Juniors
Two good signings,the way pettybourne hits it up from the kick off wow! power,speed and no fear .last night he put souths on the front foot on just about every kick off cant wait to see him the tigers colours next year.

Bench
Two good signings,the way pettybourne hits it up from the kick off wow! power,speed and no fear .last night he put souths on the front foot on just about every kick off cant wait to see him the tigers colours next year.
Teflon will coach that out of him,he will be like twinkle toes Heighnington in no time.

Mader45

Juniors
Grand final teams for the 2009 NYC

Tigers
Bugger all

Melbourne
Shitloads

Looking at that list for Melbourne, checking out Brisbane and Manlys roster and naming the three teams that have dominated the competition for years now reveals quite a simple damn formula to success in NRL:

Hungry youthful players with a coach who mentors/leads successfully breeds success.

There seem to be far to many club heads, coaches, pundits and critics in League that prescribe to raw talent, aggression and popularity being more important then discipline and willpower.

Simply, if Craig Bellamy can turn half that finals team into 1st grade regulars of a dominating team so quickly then we have no excuse beside either an inability to motivate or all our players have shit work ethics.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Pettyborne will be a starter. I reckon we could easily move Woods to back row and slot Pettyborne in at Prop.

Woods would be even more damaging running just wider of the big pigs imo.

Thompson will be good for depth.

Hmm i wouldn't do that seeing as Pettybourne works better on the edge of the ruck, he's big enough to bend the line and also has that offload on him that he's beginning to use well near the try line to set up tries.

He's a pretty solid first grader, if you got him for cheap well he'd be all worth it, i think he would be a good bench player at the Tigers. Good luck to him and Wests.

moller

Juniors
Not much between those NYC teams listed tbh - 4 first graders from our team, 5 from the Storm.
Including Lui and Dwyer in our 4: they'd both still be playing 1sts with us had they not had their respective issues.