What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three years jail for ex-Knight Danny Wicks

Raider_69

Post Whore
Great f**king point mate!

'Some' people are assuming because he is selling he uses.

I don't know about it because I have never touched the sh*t but I have always heard Dealers won't use because they really will never make a profit.

Hypothetically, for mine it almost makes it worse if he isnt using.
Instead of being a dumb user and dealer who just got caught up in it all because he's a deadset without a brain between he's ears, he's smart enough to know the sh*t aint worth touching but will happily feed off others addictions and weaknesses.

Hypothetically its not like he's doing it to earn a crust either, which i guess is in some ways justification for the street dealer living week the week. Wicks is on a 6 figure salary

If the allergation is true, weather he uses or not, the blokes a maggot of the highest order.

Green Machine

First Grade
F*** me some of you guys bite hard...

A premiership is a premiership is a premiership. You can only play what is in front of you at the time and the stats will always say in 1997 the Knights won the ARL premiership. It is only you guys - who follow teams that didn't win the ARL premiership - that are putting asterix's next to anything, and to be honest your opinion means f*** all.
I think you’re right. You can only play what is in front of you and when Manly choked in the last quarter, the Knights had nothing in front of them.

Knightmare

Coach
Let's face it, the best team in 1997 will never be known.

Tell that to people on the pro-Superleague side though. Just don't mention that News Ltd. were the ones who came running to the ARL wanting to broker a peace deal....

innsaneink

Referee
I think you’re right. You can only play what is in front of you and when Manly choked in the last quarter, the Knights had nothing in front of them.

Like Balmain playing the clock down in 89 and their coach replacing international forwards which saw canberra have nothing in front of them ...yeh I agree

LESStar58

Referee
  • <LI class="byline first ">By Steve Gee <LI class="source ">From: The Daily Telegraph<LI class="date-and-time ">December 18, 2009 12:00AM
  • 549638-dtstory-danny-wicks.jpg
Feeling the heat...Newcastle Knights prop Danny is taken from Newcastle Police Station by his solicitor after posting bail yesterday after being arrested on drug charges. Picture: Liam Driver Source: The Daily Telegraph

NEWCASTLE players will be interrogated by club officials over allegations disgraced prop Danny Wicks supplied drugs to teammates.

Knights players will face a grilling from coach Rick Stone, CEO Steve Burraston and chairman Rob Tew over the next 48 hours.
And the court has prohibited Wicks, 24, from contacting Newcastle forward and former housemate Chris Houston, who will be quizzed by Burraston today.
As the Knights reel from the arrest of Wicks, who was charged with six counts of supplying a prohibited drug and two of drug possession, Stone said players will be individually quizzed.
The former St George Illawarra player has pleaded not guilty to all charges. Police are also expected to interview several of Wicks' teammates.
Stone, who learned of Wicks' arrest along with his players after a Wednesday morning training session, said the squad was addressed before training yesterday.
"We have had a chat with the players this morning and there will be a full investigation," Stone said. "We're shattered, given where we've come from the last couple of years, the work we do in the community and the goodwill we've built up. It's really, really disappointing."

Wicks' arrest follows his community award last year for his work in drug awareness campaigns at schools. Stone said there was not much more clubs and the NRL could do to educate players.
"It's an individual thing," he said. "I don't want to say too much more. I'm very, very disappointed with what's going on."
Stone said it was too early to tell how the drama would affect the club's 2010 premiership campaign. Knights players yesterday maintained their silence, with only front-rower Ben Cross willing to comment on allegations Wicks supplied teammates with drugs.
Cross said he had never seen drugs at the club or been offered any. "Not to my knowledge [have any drugs been around]," Cross said.
The former Melbourne Storm prop said the players had not discussed court allegations suggesting Wicks may have supplied teammates with drugs. "We trained together and it was mentioned by us. We have pretty much put a bubble around ourselves," he said.
Newcastle captain Kurt Gidley, who was playing golf in the Jack Newton charity event at Cypress Lakes golf course in Cessnock yesterday, was unavailable for comment. Knights board member and former premiership-winning captain Paul Harragon was also reluctant to comment.
"The bottom line is I'm on the board and only [chairman] Rob Tew and [CEO] Steve Burraston can talk on this matter," Harragon said yesterday. "I can't say anything."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ions-reverberate/story-e6frexnr-1225811559062

They're going about it the right way IMO. Get right to the nitty gritty and grill every single player.

As for Wicks he should be out on his ear at the very least.

innsaneink

Referee
Newcastle captain Kurt Gidley, who was playing golf in the Jack Newton charity event at Cypress Lakes golf course in Cessnock yesterday, was unavailable for comment. Knights board member and former premiership-winning captain Paul Harragon was also reluctant to comment.

Hmmmmm....

Apey

Staff member
Danny Wicks out on bail

BY DAN PROUDMAN AND GABRIEL WINGATE-PEARSE
18 Dec, 2009 04:00 AM
NEWCASTLE Knights prop Danny Wicks stands accused of supplying grams of amphetamine and ecstasy in Newcastle and Grafton over a four-month period, as well as possessing pills and cocaine.Details of his charges emerged yesterday as the former cult hero was released from jail after he and his father put up $80,000 between them to meet his strict bail conditions.
Wicks faces four counts of supplying amphetamines, two counts of supplying ecstasy and two of drug possession.
The 24-year-old was forced to spend Wednesday night in the Newcastle police station cells after running out of time to raise the money following a late bail application.
Wicks's father, Gary Charles Wicks, a successful businessman from Grafton, deposited $50,000, while the front rower put up $30,000.
Wicks left Newcastle police station in a four-wheel-drive driven by his solicitor, Mark Hanlon, about 1.20pm.
Wicks is accused of supplying 28 grams of amphetamines, or one ounce, on four different occasions, twice in Charlestown and twice in Grafton, between August and November.
He is accused of supplying ecstasy in Newcastle and Charlestown twice in September, and of having small quantities of amphetamine and cocaine in his possession at The Junction on November 20.
Wicks has been forced to surrender his passport, agree not to contact any of his co-accused or any witnesses in the case, and must report daily to Charlestown police.
He has been stood down from the Newcastle Knights indefinitely.
His co-accused include Steven Stefanovski, a 29-year-old scaffolder from Broadmeadow, also released on bail yesterday after spending a night in custody.
The prosecution's case was that Stefanovski is the "primary supplier" with a significant customer base, Newcastle Local Court heard yesterday.
His parents have put their house on the line by depositing the deeds to the family home with the registrar of the court, and agreeing to forfeit $100,000 via its sale if Stefanovski fails to meet his bail conditions.

Stefanovski is facing one charge of supplying 28 grams of amphetamine on November 20, which he is accused of supplying to Wicks.
The Crown's case relied on a large number of telephone intercepts, as well as physical surveillance consistent with what could be heard during the recorded telephone conversations, the court heard.
The brief of evidence is expected to take at least three months to prepare, given the large amount of evidence involved, including the need to have some of the recorded telephone conversations, which are in Macedonian, interpreted.
Wicks and Stefanovski are due to reappear in court on February 3.
[PI9016] THE solicitor handling the matter for the Director of Public Prosecutions said a reference in The Herald yesterday to Wicks supplying "hundreds of kilos" of drugs over time was incorrect.
She said it was alleged that on one occasion Wicks supplied 200 pills, not a commercial quantity.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/danny-wicks-out-on-bail/1708345.aspx?storypage=1

Dunno if this one has been posted or not.

Green Machine

First Grade
Like Balmain playing the clock down in 89 and their coach replacing international forwards which saw canberra have nothing in front of them ...yeh I agree
Roach and Sironen? I never thought of them as tackling machines. You’re comedian. In the days before interchange, a great coach like Warren Ryan got the slow forwards off the field and replaced them with players who had a chance at stopping the fast finishing team like the Raiders. Tell me, when was Paul Sironen replaced in the 1989 Grand Final?

Slackboy72

Coach
Where else could a thread about a player being charged with supplying a controlled substance turn into sh!tfight over who should be the worthy premiers for 97.

Clearly it should have been cronulla.

QUOTE]
Newcastle captain Kurt Gidley, who was playing golf in the Jack Newton charity event at Cypress Lakes golf course in Cessnock yesterday, was unavailable for comment. Knights board member and former premiership-winning captain Paul Harragon was also reluctant to comment. Hmmmmm....

Harrogan gagged? :shock: Gagged by his fellow board members? :shock: That would have to be a first.He was quite outspoken during the Brian Smith saga.

Knightmare

Coach
I will back up an earlier comment that it makes me laugh at the collective hatred Raiders fans have for the Knights. Truth is, I don't mind the Raiders. They're a hard-working team who defy the critics constantly that tip them for the spoon. However, amongst Knights fans, we generally couldn't care less about the Raiders. Half the enjoyment in beating them is knowing how much it pisses SOME of their fans off!

Why doesn't the NRL just come out and publish summarised results of all their drug testing over the last couple of years?

At the moment players know if they do test positive just the once then it will be kept inhouse and not even an overall figure of total positive tests released publicly.
Exactly..if you think theres been no positive drug test since 98/..or at least craig field then ive got a lil piece of the sydney harbour bridge to sell ya

Green Machine

First Grade
Why doesn't the NRL just come out and publish summarised results of all their drug testing over the last couple of years?

At the moment players know if they do test positive just the once then it will be kept inhouse and not even an overall figure of total positive tests released publicly.
Something like the AFL do? How many tested positive this season?

Green Machine

First Grade

Alex28

Coach

Exactly right - lucky to win plus you cheated the salary cap!

Raiders fans are funny and have remarkebly short memories...

Green Machine

First Grade
Exactly right - lucky to win plus you cheated the salary cap!

Raiders fans are funny and have remarkebly short memories...
You are as silly as Ink. Sironen was replaced with 90 seconds to go and was one of the players who missed Chicka Ferguson on the way to the line. Salary Cap? Give yourself an uppercut, you fool,

Latest posts