What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three years jail for ex-Knight Danny Wicks

country hick

Juniors
F*ck off. They have a dream job. He was reportedly on up to $200k a year (3 year contract). Most people work 9-10 hour days and don't get anywhere near that much. Don't try and justify the things these blokes do. Simple fact of matter is they are a cross section of society, albeit doing a "job" that many people would die for. I would suggest a lack of brain cells is behind what he has done.
I, for one, wouldnt want there job - like I said i am not making excuses for wicks - i am a former knights supporter - i do not like the way the management treat staff - but i can tell you - these 1st grade guys work their arses off for the money they get!!! And - FYI, these blokes do actually work long hours, most people in our society would not emotionally and physically cope with being an NRL player - maybe you spend some time with some of these guys to find out what they really do!!!!

country hick

Juniors
What about all the crap in the media over the last 2 years about how Smith was ruining Newcastle's "culture".

Wonder if there is going to be any crayon written letters to Brian demanding that he return to the club to continue what he started!!
No-0ne from the Newcastle Knights board wuld have the guts to ask Smithy to return - they didn't have the balls to stand behind or next to him when they should have - they will be regretting 'sacking' him now! Burraston, Onslow and the other wankers are to answer for this!!

bileduct

Coach
"The timing to bring the new testing in from today just wasn't right," Stone said.
Of course it wasn't.

Gotta give the boys a couple of weeks to get the sh*t out of their systems, hey Stone?

innsaneink

Referee
I, for one, wouldnt want there job - like I said i am not making excuses for wicks - i am a former knights supporter - i do not like the way the management treat staff - but i can tell you - these 1st grade guys work their arses off for the money they get!!! And - FYI, these blokes do actually work long hours, most people in our society would not emotionally and physically cope with being an NRL player - maybe you spend some time with some of these guys to find out what they really do!!!!

Thanks scoop.

A Newcastle woman stands accused of selling Danny Wicks 30 ecstasy tablets just hours after the Knights were knocked out of last year's NRL finals.
Emma Kate Frankham, Wicks's former girlfriend, did not appear in Newcastle Local Court this week after she was charged with supplying drugs. No plea was entered on her behalf and the case was adjourned to next month.
Police allege that Wicks contacted Frankham after 3am on September 13 last year to organise the purchase of 30 tablets. Frankham, 23, of the Newcastle suburb of Wickham, is accused of meeting Wicks and an unidentified man at the Mayfield McDonald's car park before the deal allegedly took place.
Earlier that night, the Knights lost 26-12 to the Bulldogs in Sydney, which put them out of the finals series. Some players attended the Newcastle Rugby League grand finals on the Sunday, before Mad Monday festivities took place at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
Wicks, who quit the Knights after he was charged in December with supplying and possessing drugs, is now living with his parents in Yamba.
He is accused of supplying quantities of amphetamine and ecstasy in Newcastle and Grafton over a four-month period, as well as possessing pills and cocaine. He has previously professed his innocence. Wicks's case will be mentioned in Newcastle Local Court next week but he is not expected to attend.
The charges against Wicks led to TAB Sportsbet suspending betting on the wooden spoon, given the suggestion other players might be implicated, through phone taps, in the court hearing to decide his fate. The club was clouded further earlier this month when Wicks's former teammate and flatmate Chris Houston was issued with a court attendance notice for three counts of supplying ecstasy and one count of supplying cocaine.
Houston will face court for the first time next month. He was stood down by the Knights before tendering his resignation two days later.
Still, despite the club's focus being elsewhere recently, the Knights have performed well on the field. They won their round-one match against Canterbury and were unlucky to lose the following week against Melbourne.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3503182/30-pills-bought-after-Knights-loss-court-told

Evenflow

Bench
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but in this weeks RLW the mole wrote "Sadly, the word from senior police is the drug scandal that has rocked league in recent months is far from finished. Talk is the police are about to charge one more player - and a very high profile one at that"

Geez you'd hope it's not true but you wouldn't think something this serious would be written in RLW if there's absolutely no basis to it.

jc155776

Coach
Thank f**k this isn't a Sharks problem.

I feel for some Newcastle fans. Because just when you think all the sh*t is over someone will dig deeper and find more.

MacDougall

First Grade
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but in this weeks RLW the mole wrote "Sadly, the word from senior police is the drug scandal that has rocked league in recent months is far from finished. Talk is the police are about to charge one more player - and a very high profile one at that"

Geez you'd hope it's not true but you wouldn't think something this serious would be written in RLW if there's absolutely no basis to it.

Geez who is high profile at Newcastle? Doesn't really leave many names if indeed this is still restricted to Newy.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I thought he was meant to a big hitter? Yet he's BUYING only 30?

I thought the same thing on the article. He's been talked up to be this big dealer, when if the whole argument is on this deal, he could have just been buying some for himself and some mates. Dealers would buy in the hundreds at a minimum. Although in the eyes of the law from memory, anything possession of anything more than 3 is punishable with intent to distribute.

skeepe

Immortal
This is the trial for the woman involved. It doesn't go into detail about what Wicks is alleged to have done, only when she was involved as well.

It may well be that this is the basis of the allegations, or, more likely in my opinion, this is only one of the dealings Wicks is alleged to have had. The others would not be relevant to this case if they did not involve her.

Latest posts