What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers Movements

leaguelegend21

Juniors
I'd love to buy Glenn.

I think people here really underestimate the talent for Lolohea. I think he and Packer will be our best next year and I can't wait to see it.

Lolohea has had a reasonable showing in his limited time here. He's a talented kid. Needs to lose the spare tyre though and a good pre-season at fullback. Maybe he'll shine with a guaranteed spot to start the season.

King hit

Coach
A good career comes to an end. I really rated Ballin in his day he was good player for Manly and even played Origin and did well in it from memory.

Fangs

Coach
Disappointed for Ballin. Was a big career move for him when he signed with the Tigers. Farah was on the outer and things could have been very different had Ballin stayed fit.

Good luck to him.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ballin is the worst signing in our history easy. We sold a Taupau in his prime for this absolute oxygen thief. Sickening.
that's harsh.

It looked pretty clear that Ballin was signed to justify pushing Farah out the door. Taupau was rumoured to be on the wrong side of some of the players. It would've looked (to the people running the club at the time) to be a swap that ticked all the boxes.
I was opposed to it all along because Ballin was a pawn, he was signed not because of his ability but to get Farah out of the NRL side.

It backfired and we ended up paying around/over a million dollars for two hookers for each of the last three years with one injured and the other being forced to lower grades and out of the club.

In my opinion anyway

leaguelegend21

Juniors
that's harsh.

It looked pretty clear that Ballin was signed to justify pushing Farah out the door. Taupau was rumoured to be on the wrong side of some of the players. It would've looked (to the people running the club at the time) to be a swap that ticked all the boxes.
I was opposed to it all along because Ballin was a pawn, he was signed not because of his ability but to get Farah out of the NRL side.

It backfired and we ended up paying around/over a million dollars for two hookers for each of the last three years with one injured and the other being forced to lower grades and out of the club.

In my opinion anyway
Agreed its the circumstances associated with Ballin that makes me dislike him so much. He represents the worst time in our clubs history and it leaves a very sour taste.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Bargain buy Corey Thompson rewarded with Tigers contract extension
By Adrian Proszenko
3 April 2018 — 8:00pm

Corey Thompson completed his media duties on Tuesday, went upstairs into the Wests Tigers’ Concord office and signed a contract extension worth twice the amount he is currently on.
He has played only four matches for the black, white and orange but Ivan Cleary and the rest of the Tigers brains trust have seen enough. Thompson is a keeper.

A few short months ago, he was running around for Widnes, the Super League wooden spooners. On Sunday against Parramatta, Thompson was the best player on the ground. It was his fourth stellar performance in as many games for the club and now both parties have their reward. The bargain buy of 2018 – he signed a one-year deal on the NRL’s minimum wage – will now be a Tiger for 2019 as well.

Moments before putting pen to paper, Thompson was reminiscing about his stint with this weekend’s opponents, Melbourne. His reward for showing promise for feeder club Easts Tigers was a pre-season camp with the big boys, 11 weeks of torture that included one of the club’s infamous army camps.

Fuelled only by a can of coke and a Snickers bar, he was standing in the bush all night holding a metal pole like it was a gun, wondering what he had done to deserve this. There have subsequently been plenty of ups and downs during a career that includes an NRL grand final with Canterbury and the anonymity that comes with living and playing in the English industrial borough of Halton. However, Thompson will always be able to draw strength from the fact he was chosen for a Storm boot camp and survived to tell the tale.
“We did this torture camp and slept for an hour-and-a-half in three days,” Thompson recalled. “The first night we slept for an hour and the second night we slept for half an hour. You can’t talk, you can only talk to each other in code names. You’re in three teams, so there’s blue, red, yellow. In each team, I’d be Red One, you’d be Red Two, Red Three, Red Four. So if I want to talk to you it’d be ‘Red Two’ – you couldn’t say anything else.
“They made you scull a can of coke, eat a Snickers and then you stood in the bush by yourself. The closest person would be about 200m away from you, just standing there on a sugar rush at about two in the morning with a metal pole. You can’t see anyone and you’re just standing there for six hours, it’s pitch black. These fellas would be in the bush watching you, making sure you don’t fall asleep.”
Only two players from the Storm’s feeder side are invited to be part of a Melbourne pre-season. Back then, Thompson and Cody Walker were given the honours. Both have been rewarded for their perseverance. Walker never gave up on his dream and finally made his NRL debut for Souths at the age of 26. Thompson proved his height – or lack of it – is no impediment to making a career as a winger. He has been solid on the flank and capably deputised at fullback a few weeks ago when the side was hit by injury. He still carries the lessons he was taught at Melbourne with him.
“That taught me a lot, too, being down there with all the quality players like Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk,” he said. “I learned a lot about defensive plays through Billy Slater. A lot of people talk about his attack but his defensive efforts too are amazing. I learned a lot about being in the right place with defence.”
On Saturday, during the Tigers’ ‘home’ game against the Storm at Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium, Thompson will get an opportunity to show them just how much he has learned. And for the first time in his career, the former Bulldog will be able to play through the current season knowing that he is wanted for the following one.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ba...igers-contract-extension-20180403-p4z7lz.html

I heard this yesterday and then forgot all about it until I posted the ISP team for this weekend.

SUPER League side Catalans Dragons have recruited ex-Manly and St George Illawarra halfback Josh Drinkwater following the retirement of former NRL star Luke Walsh.

The 25-year-old Drinkwater will join the French club with immediate effect on a deal to the end of the season and could make his debut in Saturday’s match against Hull in Perpignan.

Drinkwater made four appearances for St George Illawarra before making the move to Super League in 2014 with London Broncos, for whom he scored 136 points in 26 appearances.

The halfback moved back to the NRL with Wests Tigers but returned to England in 2016 when he joined Leigh on a three-year contract, which he cut short when they were relegated from Super League 18 months ago.

Since then he has been playing for the Western Suburbs Magpies in the NSW Cup. Walsh has announced his retirement at the age of 30 after failing to recover from a serious ankle injury.

Catalans coach Steve McNamara said: “Replacing Luke in our squad will be Josh Drinkwater who we are delighted to say has agreed to join us with immediate effect.

“Josh has had a brilliant start to the season in the NSW Cup in Australia and having had previous experience in the Super League competition knows a lot about the game over here.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...d/news-story/f0a7e6520428c43213733b95c7164478

So with the announcement that Kev Naiquama official leaves at seasons end, I hope he replaces Nofa on the wing and kills it for the rest of the year.

Clifferd

Coach
Probably best for him if he wants to advance in his career

With that being said if he’s not in our future plans probably shouldn’t get a run in 1sts unless injury occurs

Latest posts