What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers Players: "F*cking"

Green Machine

First Grade
Front-Rower said:
To an extent I agree, but the players are well players and they just won something that not too many players who make grade can achieve...especially when its their 1st or 2nd year of grade as is the case for a few of those players out there last night.

However wouldn't some of the blame have to fall on channel 9 for doing "live" interviews? I think someone mentioned it earlier that they should have been broadcasting in a 7 second delay period over the course of the post-game celebrations. If radio has to do it for talk-back programms I'm sure that Channel 9 should of had enough foresight to realise the complications that could of/have arose.

Totally agree. I also think it was Channel 9’s fault. Swearing is not a new problem with “Live” post game interviews, as Channel 9 had the same thing happening to them in 1988. Channel 9 should be careful not to pick young player’s who do not have experience with public speaking. At least a time delay as talk back radio has,

Dani

Immortal
Thismorning on Sunrise they were having the biggest go at them.
It got more coverage than the game highlights.
I just rolled my eyes and changed the channel.

Green Machine

First Grade
TV Ted Ellery said:
I'm a sick puppy for not understanding how swearing on TV could be analogous to exposing oneself?

As somebody said before you have to realise the context in which the players uttered the remarks. They are extremely raw, they have just won a grand final and they are expressing their absolute elation. The word 'f**k' is extremely versatile and can be used as an expression of joy or conversely as a statement of invective. Case in point: Garden Trellis calls the ref an F...ing cheat. Garden is now a """"respected""" NRL board member. His comments reflect poorly on his sportsmanship and give off a terrible impression to the youngsters whereas the Tigers use of the word f**k is attributable to their immaturity and says to me that they are in urgent need of elocution lessons.

As long as the players have proper demeanour when talking to the officials then I'm not too worried. Although I couldn't hear what Thurston was saying to the touch judge on replay, his petulant antics were the only disappointing aspect of a great night+effort by the Cowboys.

To drop your pants in public is an old analogy for making a fool of yourself in public. Jack Gibson once used the same anagogy about Ian Chappell swearing “Live” on air on Channel 9. You also said
“And dropping your pants in public is akin to...please continue I'm intrigued...”
If a bloke dropped his pants in front me, the last thing I would be is intrigued and would be more incline to say “pull your pants up, you are making a dickhead of yourself”. Seeing another's blokes Jatz Crackers is not intriguing to me.

As for players behaviour on the field, yes they do swear from time to time and that is their workplace and there is no boom mike following them around on the field. In most cases, the TV sideline microphones do not pick it up and I do not have a problem with the occasion swear word. This issue is about post game interviews and Channel’s need to get the rare amotion of the moment, which think is a load of crap. They need to be more selective in who they pick.

As for Tallis and his comments to Harragon, that was pure descent and deserved to be sent off. As for Tallis the director, we all know is not there because he has anything to offer as businessmen but only as someone to put a hand up in favour of News Ltd at voting time. I'll be surprised if he is there next year,

*Sandy*

First Grade
As soon as I heard it on Channel 9, I turned to my 10yr old son and said...

"What the f**k! ...cover your ears for f**k sake. Channel 9 shouldn't even be f**ken allowed to let that f**k word through knowing you young f**ken boys would be watchin it. Now get to f**ken bed and if i hear you f**ken say that word ever, I'm gonna go f**ken troppo and you will never ever be allowed to watch f**ken channel nine again. Did you hear that? Now get to f**ken bed, for f**k's sake!!! As if I'm gonna tolerate the f**ken TV teaching my kid how to say "f**k".

RABK

Referee
PK said:

"What the f**k! ...cover your ears for f**k sake. Channel 9 shouldn't even be f**ken allowed to let that f**k word through knowing you young f**ken boys would be watchin it. Now get to f**ken bed and if i hear you f**ken say that word ever, I'm gonna go f**ken troppo and you will never ever be allowed to watch f**ken channel nine again. Did you hear that? Now get to f**ken bed, for f**k's sake!!! As if I'm gonna tolerate the f**ken TV teaching my kid how to say "f**k".

Lol.

Green Machine said:
To drop your pants in public is an old analogy for making a fool of yourself in public. Jack Gibson once used the same anagogy about Ian Chappell swearing “Live” on air on Channel 9. You also said
“And dropping your pants in public is akin to...please continue I'm intrigued...”
If a bloke dropped his pants in front me, the last thing I would be is intrigued and would be more incline to say “pull your pants up, you are making a dickhead of yourself”. Seeing another's blokes Jatz Crackers is not intriguing to me.

As for players behaviour on the field, yes they do swear from time to time and that is their workplace and there is no boom mike following them around on the field. In most cases, the TV sideline microphones do not pick it up and I do not have a problem with the occasion swear word. This issue is about post game interviews and Channel’s need to get the rare amotion of the moment, which think is a load of crap. They need to be more selective in who they pick.

As for Tallis and his comments to Harragon, that was pure descent and deserved to be sent off. As for Tallis the director, we all know is not there because he has anything to offer as businessmen but only as someone to put a hand up in favour of News Ltd at voting time. I'll be surprised if he is there next year,

I was intrigued to see how far you could extend the analogy, I was not referring to my fascination with watching a guy letting it all hang out.

I was making a distinction between the different meanings that the word can convey. It is understandable that a player may curse himself for a mistake and on occasions the swear word will be inadvertently pciked up by the mic. However, when a player swears at a referee he is undermining his authority, questioning his competency and setting a poor example. In fact, I didn't hear what Jonathon Thurston said, I'm assuming that he swore, but in my opinion his dissent towards the touch judge was a far worse indictment on our game than a few players swearing as an expression of joy.
They were not being malicious, incitful or conveying any other perverse emotion that can be associated with such a phrase.

Media training and maturity will help but I don't how people who love to beat up their no-name, youthful and raw image are so quick to censure them for expressing their exhuberance with a few ill-chosen words.

Hari Kari

Juniors
miladi said:
I hate to break it to all the parents out there, but the kiddies probably hear it everyday at school. A sad indictment of our times when we fall back on cheap vulgar language instead of learning to express ourselves appropriately. Even under extraordinary circumstances, if you have class, it shows.

I think you're a ghey dogooder.

"showing some class" was an expression the Hells Angels used to use in the 70's.

it's all in the eye of the beholder.

sharkadelic

Juniors
Still it reinforces the knockers opinions that All Leaguies are Uncouth Mungos. It may be true for a greter part but I hate some Soggy Sao rah rah getting some superiority complex out of it.

Darth Bobo

I havn't seen a reality show where the F-word hasn't been used so it's just not Footy players who use it but the difference is that it is bleeped out. The blame, if any, has to lie with Channel 9 for not taking necessary precautions with prior expletives used in the Final series leading up to the GF.

Can't blame the players for showing emotion and I loved Rhino's interview, had me laughing my arse off.

Shagsta

Juniors
I thought it was great. The players were expressing their emotions like true f*cking aussie blokes.

Everyone having a whinge, piss of and watch soccer you bunch of poofs.

thuganomics

Coach
PK said:

F**k Oath!

Knightmare

Coach
I guess they should cross out any chance of Blink 182 reforming to do the pre-match entertainment then...
"S**t piss f**k merkin c**ksucker motherf**ker tits fart turd and twat,
I f**ked your Mum!"
Love to see Channel 9 handle their other "hits" such as 'Grandpa' or 'F**k a Dog' as well :LOL:

Latest posts