What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Mannah - best young prop in the game

Pazza

First Grade
we need another prop!

8.poore
9.tba
10.fui
11.hindmarsh
12.smith
13.shackleton

14.tba
15.mannah
16.horo
17.?????

caylo

Bench
Shackleton can play front-row.

But I agree, it'd be nice if he could stay wider.
Personally i would start Horo in 13, have shak off the bench to fill in at prop or backrow with Poore, Mannah and Fui playing more minutes (about 50 each). I would then have OHanalan on the bench and bring him up for 20min stints. I know the kid is young but he will be 19 next year and has shown alot in NYC.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Personally i would start Horo in 13, have shak off the bench to fill in at prop or backrow with Poore, Mannah and Fui playing more minutes (about 50 each). I would then have OHanalan on the bench and bring him up for 20min stints. I know the kid is young but he will be 19 next year and has shown alot in NYC.

Making front-rowers play more than 45 minutes really dampens their effectiveness due to the extra defence they have to get through. That's why it's nice to have 4 in the 17 who are all dedicated front-rowers.

If Shackleton's on the bench next year with one front-rower, one back-rower and a dummy-half, then he should only play front-row (for about 40 minutes) unless there's an injury.

Pazza

First Grade

Lets keep mannah and horo on the bench for next year, they are both young and low on first grade exp. we dont need to pressure them by giving them starting spots, let them do their apprenticeships off the bench.

O'hanlon looks the good but he has the body of a teenager, big kid with heaps of growing but i doubt he will be ready physically to mix it with the men at the start of 2011!

caylo

Bench
Lets keep mannah and horo on the bench for next year, they are both young and low on first grade exp. we dont need to pressure them by giving them starting spots, let them do their apprenticeships off the bench.

O'hanlon looks the good but he has the body of a teenager, big kid with heaps of growing but i doubt he will be ready physically to mix it with the men at the start of 2011!

You make a fair point but if we are going to keep Horo on the bench then I think we need to replace Mateo with a player who is more then just a worker (eg. Sika Manu). Our backrow has a worker (hindy), a agressive defender (Benny) and we need a wide running backrower on the left and IMO shak is not a good fit. Horo has shown in the few games he has started that he is up to the level but whether he can maintain that long term is still questionable.

caylo

Bench

Just to put it out there OHanlon is 6'5" and weights 105kg

I know stats arnt everything, but OHanlan has avg around 130meters and 28 tackles a match.

He is a hard working backrower who runs good lines and can offload, I think at very least he need to go up to Wenty but playing 20-25min a match in the NRL with guys like Hindy and Benny could advance his progression. He wont be overly relied on and will be in a pack that can support him, the perfect enviroment to grow and develop and as I said he is 19 and will be 20 years old... old enough to play in the NRL after a good offseason in the fulltime squad.

Pazza

First Grade
Just to put it out there OHanlon is 6'5" and weights 105kg

I know stats arnt everything, but OHanlan has avg around 130meters and 28 tackles a match.

He is a hard working backrower who runs good lines and can offload, I think at very least he need to go up to Wenty but playing 20-25min a match in the NRL with guys like Hindy and Benny could advance his progression. He wont be overly relied on and will be in a pack that can support him, the perfect enviroment to grow and develop and as I said he is 19 and will be 20 years old... old enough to play in the NRL after a good offseason in the fulltime squad.

ow he is a BIG and great young kid but in terms of muscle density he looks like he hasn't developed enough or put enough mass on his frame to play first grade yet. as you said a big off season might just be the trick for him, young kids can grow sooo fast. when this kid fills out he is going to be a scary first grader, a big fast man with a good offload who will build a good combo with Mortz attacking down the left flank!

jk13

First Grade
we hav a great balance in the props atm. mannah is the workhorse while poore provides the mongrel

spiderdan

Bench
page 10 of this week's big league has a short q&a blurb with tim. if anyone has a look, right above in the fans say section there is a dogs supporter who i reckon is his doppleganger (but eyebrows 1/8 tim's size). is mark from belmore a forgotten mannah?