What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Mannah - best young prop in the game

Eels Dude

Coach
I won't hammer you (although you deserve it!!)

But 22 runs for 209m is an outstanding game for a guy like Steve Price or Petro Civoniceva - to do that in 41 minutes off the bench is freakishly good.

The only other guy in the MoM equation was Hayne - who looked dangerous every time he handled/ passed/ ran.

Exactly 200m for a prop is outstanding... You'll only see that half a dozen times a season. Mannah is a must for NSW now IMO, form prop of the bunch. 'Superstar' Brett White is nothing compared to Mannah at the moment.

Pazza

First Grade
i liked how they used mannah as first run from the scrum, his leg drive and quick play the balls are crucial to us mounting an attacking raid!

Forty20

First Grade
i liked how they used mannah as first run from the scrum, his leg drive and quick play the balls are crucial to us mounting an attacking raid!

As done either for a laugh or as a piece of certified tactical genius (afterall it has my stamp of approval ;-)) if we get a centrefield scrum we should pack in Inu/Grothe/Mortimer/etc as props and run a split backline with Timmy as the left centre and Fui as the right. Force the defence to man mark two devastating ball runners.

It'd be worth it purely for the image of the two props lining up in the centres.

Pazza

First Grade
As done either for a laugh or as a piece of certified tactical genius (afterall it has my stamp of approval ;-)) if we get a centrefield scrum we should pack in Inu/Grothe/Mortimer/etc as props and run a split backline with Timmy as the left centre and Fui as the right. Force the defence to man mark two devastating ball runners.

It'd be worth it purely for the image of the two props lining up in the centres.

hahaha i would call that genius lol!

funny you use the words 'devastating ball runners' to describe parramatta players. the thing i have noticed about what DA has done for the side is get rid of this small, soft belly breed of forwards at the club. he made his intentions clear when he came to the club and get rid of cordoba for mannah straight up. then recruited Poore and Shacks for their size and go forward.

i love seeing guys like Mannah and Poore take the ball up, i'm use to seeing us throw undersized props at opposition defencive lines and hardly making a dent! Caylo and Fui are great for us but seeing Mannah and Poore do their thing is such a beautiful thing!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The front-rower's job is to make centrefield hit-ups against a set defensive line. If we're going to treat a scrum as just another zero tackle play-the-ball (and against a team with Melbourne's defensive ability it may as well be) then I think standing a prop at first receiver is a great idea.

About 5-10 years ago this sort of thing was commonplace inside the opposition 20m zone, but in general play - the front-rowers would go and stand out wide to create a mismatch (which always favours the attacking player) and then either a half-break (which is usually a try when near the tryline) or an offload (also usually a try close to the tryline).

It's the main reason you don't see small centres anymore (blokes under 90kg) - once upon a time you had fast, skillful centres like Renouf, Girdler, Mark Hughes; even Luke Burt played a few games at centre back in the day. None of that anymore - blokes Tahu's size used to be the exception but now he's fairly medium sized.

Although now that centres are all monsters, it seems small five-eighths are making a comeback, which is good for the game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They are a massive prop rotation (best in the comp with out a doubt IMO) but they all have good lateral movement and are fairly quick.

Poore's the only one I'd call a 'big' front rower.

Cayless has always been one of the smallest in the game, while Moimoi and Mannah are both average sized.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Cayless has always been one of the smallest in the game, while Moimoi and Mannah are both average sized.

Cayless 185cm 106kg
MoiMoi 183cm 109kg
Mannah 184cm 107kg
Poore 188cm 108kg

None of them are tall - but how are they not big?

I haven't really kept up with the 'size' of front rowers lately, but I'd assume anyone over 105kgs is heading into the upper end of prop size?

At worst none of them are the pint sized props we've been treated to over the last 10 years!

spartan2153

Juniors
Mannah is going to be the next lazarus. Sign him now before other teams get a chance.
Personaliy i dont want him to play state of origin this year because if he does it is just gonna bump up his price. He can play next year. Sign him up now please ossie

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cayless 185cm 106kg
MoiMoi 183cm 109kg
Mannah 184cm 107kg
Poore 188cm 108kg

None of them are tall - but how are they not big?

I don't believe those figures mate. Do Cayless and Mannah look the same size to you?

I haven't really kept up with the 'size' of front rowers lately, but I'd assume anyone over 105kgs is heading into the upper end of prop size?

105-110 is average.

At worst none of them are the pint sized props we've been treated to over the last 10 years!

Don't forget the big-and-useless squad of 2003-2004: Pearson, Cannings, Stapleton.

Eels Dude

Coach

All 4 are between 106 and 109kgs so not much difference. Big enough to be a decent prop, but not too big so that they can still be very mobile. Perfect mix. 105kg to 110 is ideal for a prop. Wouldn't want em any bigger, wouldn't want em too much smaller.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
All 4 are between 106 and 109kgs so not much difference. Big enough to be a decent prop, but not too big so that they can still be very mobile. Perfect mix. 105kg to 110 is ideal for a prop. Wouldn't want em any bigger, wouldn't want em too much smaller.

Yeah... mobility is the key in a modern props game.

What is going to be like in 20 years time.... 115 to 120kg mobile props as the average size???

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah... mobility is the key in a modern props game.

Well it is, but not like it was in 2001. Back then we had the smallest, quickest pack in the game and broke records because of it.

Then the NRL changed the interpretation of the 10m rule to slow the game down and make it less like touch footy. I think this was a good move (as in, it made league a better spectacle) but it f**ked Parra over because our team was the least suited to the new rule.

Then we went on a decline (missed the finals in '03 and '04) as we tried to buy some size to compete with the Dogs, Panthers and Roosters, and we didn't recover until 2005 when Moimoi, Stringer and Peek appeared.

But now we have an excellent front row. Until last night I thought Cayless was past it but he was excellent. And Poore is getting better every week.

What is going to be like in 20 years time.... 115 to 120kg mobile props as the average size???

There'll probably be more of those than there is now but average weight should only go up by 2-3kg in that time.

Mobility will probably increase unless there is a rule change that alters the way the game is played.

Hellsy

Immortal
They'll find a way :D
Gee I'd luv to see him there though! If not this year then definitely next year

caylo

Bench
That is th emost important part of our pack, they are all mobile but arnt small. While we lack a big prop (Price or Civ) Moimoi is actually heavy for his hight, Poore and Mannah are pretty big leaving only Cayless who is build more like a backrower. Poroe, Mannah and Fui all have great leg speed and so they make it over the advantage line while Cayless is an oversized halfback and can use his passing game when teams try to gang tackle him.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Agree with ^^^, Cayless reminds me more of Todd Payten these days with his ball playing. But I hate that sort of prop, yeah they have their uses, but I dunno im just iffy about it. (dont bring up Beetson anyone, he was different)

Id like Mannah to focus totally on Parra this year, just for his development. He would be best suited for Origin next year. One more year.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I don't believe those figures mate. Do Cayless and Mannah look the same size to you?

105-110 is average.

Don't forget the big-and-useless squad of 2003-2004: Pearson, Cannings, Stapleton.

Weight is a tricky thing - since some players have more muscle, some have heavier bones etc. Cayless doesn't look as small as many people say he is - his upper body is very muscular and he could well be 106 kgs. Mannah certainly has a bigger frame, and can probably add more weight through muscle as he ages.

Prove to me that 105-110 is average please. I'm not saying I think it isn't, but you just say it without any substantiation. How do you know that? (particularly when you don't know how heavy your own teams props are...)

Big and useless squad - Cannings was 114kgs, but was injured most of the time; Stapleton 101kgs; Pearson 105kgs but that doesn't matter since he was a ball player :lol:
And who was the other prop in that experiment? I forget... But Stapo and Pearson weren't as big as the current blokes.

No offense intended here mate! Just saying that the props seem to be a big bunch...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Weight is a tricky thing - since some players have more muscle, some have heavier bones etc. Cayless doesn't look as small as many people say he is - his upper body is very muscular and he could well be 106 kgs. Mannah certainly has a bigger frame, and can probably add more weight through muscle as he ages.

Good point.

Since height and weight are the closest measurements we have to determine size (volume) without sticking players in a bathtub to see how much water they displace, we look at those, but as you've shown, just eyeballing the players is fairly effective (we agree that Mannah is bigger than Cayless, for example).

Prove to me that 105-110 is average please. I'm not saying I think it isn't, but you just say it without any substantiation. How do you know that? (particularly when you don't know how heavy your own teams props are...)

How could I prove that when I don't trust the figures given in player profiles? I got that weight range through observation (trust your instincts) - whenever a front rower's weight is listed, the vast majority of them are between 105 and 110kg.

What do you think an average sized front-rower's weight is? I suspect you agree but don't know yourself where you get that range from.

As far as not knowing the weights of Parra's props - I've seen the figures and I don't believe them. And even if they are correct, as you point out they could well be, I'm talking about size more than straight height and weight. You've admitted Mannah has a bigger frame, which was my original point.

Big and useless squad - Cannings was 114kgs, but was injured most of the time; Stapleton 101kgs; Pearson 105kgs but that doesn't matter since he was a ball player

Well Cannings was a monster - both to look at and on the scales. Stapleton was another with a big frame but clearly he was quite rangy and maybe under-muscled. But certainly a big bloke just as far as height goes. Pearson was big in the sense that he was very broad and rotund despite his height (he had a high BMI) - just like Fui.

And who was the other prop in that experiment? I forget... But Stapo and Pearson weren't as big as the current blokes.

Stapleton too lean and Pearson too short? In their own way they both seemed to have bigger frames than Cayless and Vella (the other prop at the time). Vella was very skinny for a front-rower but he was probably the quickest and had very good leg drive.

No offense intended here mate! Just saying that the props seem to be a big bunch...

Of course they're big; they're NRL front-rowers. But none of them are monsters like Civoniceva, Weyman, King, Perry, Rose, Mason, Burgess, Taylor and Ross.

Now, I'm not saying we need monsters in the team. Generally, front-rowers are a defensive liability - plenty of line-breaks are made around them - and it seems the bigger a prop is, the worse he is in defence (except when people run straight at them, ie. other front-rowers).

I think our big 4 are great - possibly the most mobile in the comp - but they're far from the biggest.