What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen ... (war is over)

Cagey Mac

Bench
Agreed. Chase Stanley will be back with us next year too, so I wonder how he will fit in...

Mitch Rein has a big future too.

We are looking good for the "next generation".

I think Chase will need to earn a spot and is considered a bench utility at the moment

There may still be another card in play, time will tell

Minh

First Grade
Tim Moltzen shows signs of being a real class player, he has good temperament under pressure and is always probing and asking questions of the opposition defense I am really looking forward to having him in the RED V alongside K Stanley, King and Rein. I am really excited about our future no matter what people say about Doust we have a very good recruitment team always turning out competitive First Grade teams.:cool:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He'll be solid enough up the back. Can't ask more from a fullback. That's assuming Moltzen will playing fullback.

I wouldn't put too much expectation on him beyond that. If he turns into something special, then it'll be a bonus.

At least he won't be chiming in and throwing wayward passes in the three-quarter line, or kicking it dead. Having said that, I think Boyd tried hard. If his execution was right, we'd would have won a couple more games.

Minh

First Grade
Agreed. Chase Stanley will be back with us next year too, so I wonder how he will fit in...

Mitch Rein has a big future too.

We are looking good for the "next generation".

Mitch Rein has been a revelation this year, both he and King will be a very potent dummy half rotation. Dean Young was awesome last night too very suited to playing at lock, he dented the defense several times with his surging runs, I think that mobility in the forwards is the way to go even Cuthbertson looked very fit and had very good leg speed to wind up early.

cliffordg

Juniors
yeh deano at locke is great. and when he comes off the bench he gives us another wind. when the guys see his enthusiasm. he always gives a 100 percent that bloke. bleeds red and white.

TheRev

First Grade
Yeah he was playing for his contract this year, and was in great form, but I think given some time he could get to Boyds quality (his style is very similar), but Moltzen has more natural running ability, Boyd never actually scored a lot of tries himself, despite being elusive and quick... he had to "learn" to make breaks, it was never natural.

But that Moltzen video reel didnt really say a lot to me, as Mr Red said, he was running off great Benji passes in poor defence, but I knew he has skills.. so yeah lets wait and see, looking forward to 2012.

RedVDave

First Grade
Still have my doubts about Moltzen, happy to be proven wrong though, I will add I think he will play FB then move to the halves when Hornby retires.

Minh

First Grade
Still have my doubts about Moltzen, happy to be proven wrong though, I will add I think he will play FB then move to the halves when Hornby retires.

I think he is well above average, I reckon we will like this kid in the Red V.

macnaz

Staff member
I must say im glad Moltzen has gone to a decent team, he isnt the type of player that can turn an ordinary side into a top four side, but he is a player that can be part of the crucial positions ...1-6-7-9 within a side and take it a notch higher. Im not a fan of him at fullback but i must say when Sheens left him there for a while he did improve and produced some good footy. Tim suffered a serious head injury in his teens and from memory has a titanium plate in his skull and this i think still haunts him at times particualry at fullback when high speed collisions seem imminent and he can shy away from the ball, but his time at fullback in just a few months has shown heaps of improvement and increased confidence. I really think tho he should be in the halves where he has a great smart runing game and also was rummoured to be the clubs furthest kicker altho i never witnessed that ingame, perhaps because he had limited time to use that skill. He is very much a confidence player and if the chemistry is right with the players around him he can produce plenty of quality.
PROS Good support player, speed, youth, good footy brain and utility value.
CONS can hog the ball at times , and as above his defence and kick returns can suffer if he feels a massive collision is coming . Utility value can also be a con because he isnt given time to settle into one position.

All the best with him at Saints, i wish him well and will follow his progress with interest.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
He's been around since 2008 but I suppose that there's always room for caution

my point exactly... 4 years and up until the last 8 weeks never cemented a permanent first grade spot due to injuries and very inconsistent form..

PS - did you like his "attempt" at tackle on Mateo when he scored?
how about his poor effort in wrapping up the ball when Inu scored the winner?

like i said, i am not writing him off, just reserving judgement... lets see how he gels with hornby and soward before we start to think he is a wonder kid.. anyone can look like a champion running off Marshall and Lui..

macnaz

Staff member
my point exactly... 4 years and up until the last 8 weeks never cemented a permanent first grade spot due to injuries and very inconsistent form..
/QUOTE]
His form has only been inconsistent due to playing out of position, namely fullback and centre or on the bench. When he was left at 7 he was always good . Anyway with Robert Lui looking as though he will get the arse can we have Moltzen back.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...lting-girlfriend/story-e6frg6nf-1226141555876

Wobbygong

First Grade
I don't think so McNaz, but I tell you there will be some fairly peed off board members at the WT who would have like to have kept Moltzen at the WT as opposed to Lui. Ultimately Tom Shines got his way, however that decision may come back to bite him on the butt. Yes you could go for Carney but he won't go there for Lui money, I'm not sure you have a lot left in your cap and don't let the paper talk fool you there are several clubs prepared to pay the 400k to secure Carney both in the NRL and in Europe.

Anyway that other young half you have is a future star as is Kurtis Sironen.

Father Ted

First Grade
/QUOTE]
His form has only been inconsistent due to playing out of position, namely fullback and centre or on the bench. When he was left at 7 he was always good . Anyway with Robert Lui looking as though he will get the arse can we have Moltzen back.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...lting-girlfriend/story-e6frg6nf-1226141555876

Someone over there needs to have a forceful chat to that boy before he does something really unrepairable . Don't you hate it when people with a real gift waste it being stupid