What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen...what shall we do with you

BrotherJim05

Bench
This one will cause some stir but I am curious to know what we should constructively do with Tim Moltzen. Yes, he sucked at Fullback this year. He bitched it every time he had to take a hit up and his game was totally dependent on his confidence which was shaky at best.

However. He was the highest try scorer for the Tigers this year and 2nd highest line breaker. He also spent the entire off season training as a halfback in which he would not have practiced taking bombs or kick returning.

Let's just pretend that Tedesco isn't ready to start untill halfway through the season...should we give Moltzen the boot or give him the entire off season to train as a fullback. He ripped it in 2011...he may be able to do it again.

Your thoughts?

Eddie.

Bench
Ripped it in 2011?

He was beyond terrible for 75% of the season. Played a few blinders when we were "frontrunning". When we were flogging shocking sides, we tore them apart. When things get tough he is no where to be found. I hope he is no where near a key position unless he can harden up. Don't think I can remember a more timid first grader.

gurstar

Juniors
nsw cup player at best ,never seen a bloke so scared to take a hitup. i like to see him go to esl maybe a player swap for a year or 10

BrotherJim05

Bench
Yeah all very fair calls.

What about as a bench utility? imo he does have value to slot in for any halves/back position if someone on the field is injured.....rather than changing 4 players positions like old Sheensy reckons

Average player, his biggest problem is when he makes a good play he follows it up with a poor one. I have lost count of how many times he has made a line break and thrown a bad pass to the support player or ignored them all together. He needed to have a big year, he failed to do so, time for a stint in NSW Cup I think.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Why are people constantly stating that Tedesco won't be ready until halfway through the year? From all reports he was well ahead of schedule with his recovery and should be right to do a full pre season again.

Adam Reynolds did his ACL last year and played every game from round one this year. If its good enough for him...

As for Timid Tim he is f**king useless and should be playing NSW Cup in 2013.

Why are people constantly stating that Tedesco won't be ready until halfway through the year? From all reports he was well ahead of schedule with his recovery and should be right to do a full pre season again.

Adam Reynolds did his ACL last year and played every game from round one this year. If its good enough for him...

As for Timid Tim he is f**king useless and should be playing NSW Cup in 2013.

Reynolds running game was almost non-existent for the first half of this year, and he was playing a game that accommodated his condition. At fullback you can't play a game like that. I guess all will be revealed in the trials.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
and to think you guys fought hard for him..

he could have been our problem....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
he would have fitted in well with our team the way we played this year... he could possibly have been our best player...

magpie guy

Juniors
I honestly do not see a place for him in our side. He is shaky at the back and dogs it on kick returns. His running game in the halves is decent, his passing game is ok and he does have some pace. However, he seems to lack vision, goes missing when needed and I have never seen a kicking game from him. We already have a fantastic running 5/8 in marshal and as for half back, I see Miller or Anasta taking that role.

For utility on the bench we should have either Utai or Fulton who can fill halves and backline roles as well as being able to be used in the forwards. I see them giving more utility than Moltzen. He could be used at centre depending on whether we retain/use Ayshford however, I am certain we have better options there.

He could go alright on the wing but then again we have Koro, Utai and Lote. I just do not see a place for him. If he was put in it would be shoe-horning by moving other players around and he just is not that good that he has to be fit in somewhere.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Looks like bench utility and back up coverage for injuries at 1/2, 5/8 and fullback. Not much else.

Man, thw recruitment / retention looks horribly unplanned or unbalanced. Anasta's signing has made Moltzen extremely redundant (on my presumption Miller will be the halfback for next year and Marshall 5/8).

Edit- fullback- you'd ahve to think Tedesco would have first crack and a new coach would be tempted to try someone else if tedesco is out for a while in 2013 still. Moltzen is known goods- his strengths and weaknesses, and there are other claimants wanting a shot- Simona and Meany. Depends I suppose on how much a new coach wants to shake up the status quo. If it was me Moltzen would be superflous and asked to look elsewhere. Warriors shopping list with Ayshford? God we need the new coach on deck asap to make these decisions.

Last edited:

Matchball

Bench
Benji won't let his pal get dumped.
You saw the mental breakdown Benji had when Ryan was gone, moltzen going will have Benji reaching for razor blades.

Potter needs to squash this playing with matey shit.

Tiger05

First Grade
Moltzen has pace, a good pass, can run a good line and he can tackle as well. He just seems to be inconsistent throughout the season and the game.

I think he could slot into the centres easily and do the job - he has done this before.

I don't want to see him a fullback again and I don't want a back on the bench although Moltzen could fill this role well.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Moltzen has pace, a good pass, can run a good line and he can tackle as well. He just seems to be inconsistent throughout the season and the game.

I think he could slot into the centres easily and do the job - he has done this before.

I don't want to see him a fullback again and I don't want a back on the bench although Moltzen could fill this role well.

If Ayshford goes to Warriors as mentioned by Matt Elliott, there is a opening at centre. His defence would ahve to improve markedly though. Suppose an off season with intensive work could do the job.

gronkathon

First Grade
If Ayshford were to leave Bodene Thompson is a beast and can play centre.

Timid can play in the Magpies Bundy Cup team quite frankly

Sironen, Miller, Anasta & Benji should all be ahead of him in the pecking order in the halves and if Tedesco is not ready 100% for round 1 Nofo played Schoolboy reps at fullback and were it not for a clash with Sheens was ahead of Teddy in the pecking order.

Maybe a new coach could get the best out of him but realistically with the talent in our depth chart bury the prick in second tier reggies and make him want out

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
And scored 3 tries against you the on the second occassion,ending your season.

Our season was over after about Rd 6 I reckon. He certainly got his load off against us at the SFS though.

Like anyone whose been through a drought, he seemed content afterwards.

Potter needs to make his power felt immediately with this chump and his bum buddy.

I'm really interested to see how the Benji reacts. He's had it his way all of his career. Now its all come crashing down and his security blanket is gone from the top post.

Good soap opera coming up over the off season from the Tiges.

Latest posts