What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Smith Broncos 08

The Colonel

Immortal
Mr Saab said:
He needs someone like Bennett.
Not useless Hagan

The way Bennett is going this year it may be a different coach anyways. I notice Dodge has made a post somewhere, you should go follow him.

Parra Guru

Coach
caylo said:
i would say that was uncalled for if you said it to him. No offence but i wouldn't like anyone to stick their head into my personal life and tell me how to live it. Those sort of comments should be reserved for his superiors, not a supporter.

What i know about timmy, he is blue and gold through and through. If he is enjoying his footy, i expect him to stay at parramatta. He is so important to our club, i would hate to see him go, i think the worst is behind him... would be shattered to see him leave. He is one kid i have faith in through and through.

I don't really think Nikki was wrong to say that. A lot of people talk crap about the players and others complain that no one says anything to their faces. I think supporters have a big enough brain to see that Tim's off field dramas were effecting his performance and the team. He doesn't have to take notice if he doesn't want to, but Nikki just said what a lot of us at the time were thinking.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parra Guru said:
I don't really think Nikki was wrong to say that. A lot of people talk crap about the players and others complain that no one says anything to their faces. I think supporters have a big enough brain to see that Tim's off field dramas were effecting his performance and the team. He doesn't have to take notice if he doesn't want to, but Nikki just said what a lot of us at the time were thinking.

and also you have to take into account the enviorenment that both Nikki and Timmy were in at the time, they may of been in a social atmosphere enjoying each others company..

I know for a fact that this was the case early this year.

Bigfella

Coach
And one of the reasons these guys get out of control is that people keep telling them what they want to hear, and don;t talk basic truth to them.

If an unconditional fan says to a player, "I'm a big fan, but you'r ebeing a tool ..." it could actually have a lot of impact on someone.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Flatch said something Trent Barret once at the back of the grandstand....

unfortunately Barrett turned him down..:D

lzd

Juniors
sydneysharkbrisbane68 said:
Guys, thought would give you heads up, rumblings up here, that broncos are going to make a play for Tim Smith for 2008, a big move

Brisbane wouldn't do that. You know what Wayne Bennett thinks of players who get developed by a club and then turn their back on that club to go an play first grade somewhere else. Just ask Justin Hodges what he was doing in reserve grade for half a season.

spiderdan

Bench
Greg Prichard | April 19, 2007

Tim Smith is set to re-sign with Parramatta in a deal that will tie the halfback to the club until the end of 2009.

Eels management forwarded the terms of a contract offer to Smith's manager, David Riolo, at a meeting on Tuesday and Smith said last night he would meet with Riolo in the next few days.

"I want to sort something out with Parra as soon as possible," Smith said. "I've been in the system at the club for five years now, since I was 17, and it's my preference to stay.

"I don't like this contract negotiation stuff dragging on, either, if I can avoid it. When I feel sure about what I want to do in these situations I like to go ahead and do it."

Parramatta are keen to finalise an arrangement with Smith soon, so that rival clubs trying to find answers amid a shortage of quality halfbacks coming off contract at the end of this season don't get a decent crack at him.

There is talk in league circles that Brisbane were planning to make a play for the Queensland-born 22-year-old. Newcastle, coached by ex-Parramatta coach Brian Smith, were also rumoured to be interested.

But it looks like the Eels have what it takes to keep Smith happy - particularly since he is a big fan of Michael Hagan's coaching.

Smith said he didn't know what to expect when Hagan took over at the end of last season but was delighted with how it was turning out.

"'Hages' has been awesome," Smith said. "He's been a really good influence on me. You never know what's going to happen when a new coach arrives, but the best thing about the club for me at the moment is how much Hages is helping me.

"I'm really happy that I've had a couple of half-decent games in the last couple of weeks. That doesn't make a season, but the important thing is that I'm getting my confidence back. I'm improving. If you look at Parramatta and see the young players coming through, you've got to be excited about the future. I played junior footy with guys like Josh Cordoba, Feleti Mateo, Krisnan Inu and Blake Green, so it's even more exciting for me to see them hit first grade."

Riolo said there was every chance a contract between Parramatta and Smith would be finalised soon.

"There are a few things we're apart on, but a lot of things we're similar on," Riolo said. "And Tim seems pretty keen to stay, so I can't see it dragging on for too long. He's got a couple of other options if he wants to consider them, but it doesn't look like there are any big snags that will get in the way of doing a deal with Parramatta."

Asked about the progress of his partnership in the halves with five-eighth Brett Finch, Smith said Finch had been unfairly treated by critics.

"'Finchy' is getting hard done by," Smith said. "He's doing good things that don't get a mention. His defence has been terrific. Getting used to each other on the field is something we both have to work on and we're doing that. It's getting better all the time."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/settled-smith-ready-to-commit-to-parramatta/2007/04/18/1176696914338.html

Parra Guru

Coach
eelavation said:
and also you have to take into account the enviorenment that both Nikki and Timmy were in at the time, they may of been in a social atmosphere enjoying each others company..

I know for a fact that this was the case early this year.

exactly, and I'm sure it might have actually been refreshing to hear an honest opinion in a non-confrontational context, rather than someone sugarcoating it for him or kissing his arse.

spiderdan said:
Greg Prichard | April 19, 2007

Tim Smith is set to re-sign with Parramatta in a deal that will tie the halfback to the club until the end of 2009.

Eels management forwarded the terms of a contract offer to Smith's manager, David Riolo, at a meeting on Tuesday and Smith said last night he would meet with Riolo in the next few days.

"I want to sort something out with Parra as soon as possible," Smith said. "I've been in the system at the club for five years now, since I was 17, and it's my preference to stay.

"I don't like this contract negotiation stuff dragging on, either, if I can avoid it. When I feel sure about what I want to do in these situations I like to go ahead and do it."

Parramatta are keen to finalise an arrangement with Smith soon, so that rival clubs trying to find answers amid a shortage of quality halfbacks coming off contract at the end of this season don't get a decent crack at him.

There is talk in league circles that Brisbane were planning to make a play for the Queensland-born 22-year-old. Newcastle, coached by ex-Parramatta coach Brian Smith, were also rumoured to be interested.

But it looks like the Eels have what it takes to keep Smith happy - particularly since he is a big fan of Michael Hagan's coaching.

Smith said he didn't know what to expect when Hagan took over at the end of last season but was delighted with how it was turning out.

"'Hages' has been awesome," Smith said. "He's been a really good influence on me. You never know what's going to happen when a new coach arrives, but the best thing about the club for me at the moment is how much Hages is helping me.

"I'm really happy that I've had a couple of half-decent games in the last couple of weeks. That doesn't make a season, but the important thing is that I'm getting my confidence back. I'm improving. If you look at Parramatta and see the young players coming through, you've got to be excited about the future. I played junior footy with guys like Josh Cordoba, Feleti Mateo, Krisnan Inu and Blake Green, so it's even more exciting for me to see them hit first grade."

Riolo said there was every chance a contract between Parramatta and Smith would be finalised soon.

"There are a few things we're apart on, but a lot of things we're similar on," Riolo said. "And Tim seems pretty keen to stay, so I can't see it dragging on for too long. He's got a couple of other options if he wants to consider them, but it doesn't look like there are any big snags that will get in the way of doing a deal with Parramatta."

Asked about the progress of his partnership in the halves with five-eighth Brett Finch, Smith said Finch had been unfairly treated by critics.

"'Finchy' is getting hard done by," Smith said. "He's doing good things that don't get a mention. His defence has been terrific. Getting used to each other on the field is something we both have to work on and we're doing that. It's getting better all the time."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/settled-smith-ready-to-commit-to-parramatta/2007/04/18/1176696914338.html
Danny Weardler mentioned this on the Footy Show last night. Though you can take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Quest For Glory said:
Danny Weardler mentioned this on the Footy Show last night. Though you can take anything he says with a grain of salt.

mentioned what...that he'd sign with us??

Bigfella

Coach
His rumours were:

Smith to resign with Parra
Farah being looked at as Origin half / hooker bench cover
Chris Walker being given counselling and pysch treatment

Nothing we didn't write about in here in the week before!

if he starts stealing Parra Pete's jokes - look out!

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
His rumours were:

Smith to resign with Parra
Farah being looked at as Origin half / hooker bench cover
Chris Walker being given counselling and pysch treatment

Nothing we didn't write about in here in the week before!

if he starts stealing Parra Pete's jokes - look out!

What time?

Suity