What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Smith on the drink??

Hurriflatch

Referee
*edit*

As for the actual incident if there is proven to be something in it then Wagon should be congratulated for his actions, Grothe should be fined and Timmy I've got to say should be dragged over hot coals given a massive fine ($10,000 if not more), forced to do some sort of community work and even put in a AA program.

but as I said lets wait until the FULL STORY comes out not just some idiot who email Hadley

The Colonel

Immortal
According to one of the posters on the NRL forum there was CCTV footage of the alleged incident and that one of the Parramatta managers had gone to the hotel in question to view the footage.

Kornstar

Coach
Remember when the Bulldogs were asked to leave the Central Coast because one of them was drunk. Willie Mason copped it bad for that and he actually had nothing to do with it, however in the media it was all his fault, why? Because he had a bad record...............let's not read too much into this until we get the media release from the club stating the facts.

Just because Timmy was there doesn't mean he was drunk, let's wait for the facts.......

Gronk

Staff member
Wonder what a sports physician would have to say about athletes being on the piss a few days before a major game or meet. I know that the answer would be that it would hinder their performances.

I think that its time that their behaviour is commensurate with their pay packets.

fish eel

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/drunk-eels-star-faces-slippery-slope/2006/08/18/1155407994514.html

Parramatta rugby league halfback Tim Smith is at risk of being sacked by the NRL club after allegedly being thrown out of a pub for drunken behaviour last night.

Smith was warned by the club in June that he would be fined $10,000 and his contract would be in jeopardy if he was caught drinking again after several alcohol-related incidents.

Macquarie Radio today reported Smith was allegedly refused service and kicked out of a pub last night along with teammate Eric Grothe.

Smith was fined $1000 by the club for a drunken scuffle with Test cricketer Michael Clarke at a pub in Cronulla in June and agreed not to drink for the rest of the season.

He had turned up to training affected by alcohol on May 15, the same day Brian Smith quit the club as coach.

I'll say this story might have some legs....normally the herald website doesnt follow 2gb so quickly.

fish eel

Immortal
Get ready for the tele tomorrow.

Their photo editors right now are probably looking for the dodgiest photo of Tim they can find to grace their back page. Wouldnt be surprised if they run a big story on him detailing everything since the Santa incident.

Kornstar

Coach
The only thing that concerns me is the spitting thing, not too concerned about anything else. Also realistically if the pub wants to follow the RSA rules, you do not have to be very drunk to be kicked out, if he stumbled a little he could be asked to leave.

Also how do we know that the Parramatta Club has not asked these pubs to refuse service after a certain amount of drinks?

mickdo

Coach
Nickeel said:
It's actually an AAP report which is basically saying that Macquarie Radio is reporting this. So it's kind of a report on the report.

Nick
Exactly. It's no liability for the SMH to report that a radio station is reporting something...

fish eel

Immortal
mickdo said:
Exactly. It's no liability for the SMH to report that a radio station is reporting something...

What intrigues me is normally the herald's website would pick up an abc radio story as opposed to 2gb.

Perhaps they're smelling a bit of blood in this case because of repreat offences?

Kornstar said:
Remember when the Bulldogs were asked to leave the Central Coast because one of them was drunk. Willie Mason copped it bad for that and he actually had nothing to do with it, however in the media it was all his fault, why? Because he had a bad record...............let's not read too much into this until we get the media release from the club stating the facts.

Just because Timmy was there doesn't mean he was drunk, let's wait for the facts.......

I dont think it was Willy, if I remember correctly, I remember Bobcat, Pattern and O'Meley for that, it was a charity event right?

They got asked to leave and left and that was it, even though the media blew it out of proportion.

Hope things work out well for you guys even though I hate Smith and the Eels hate seeing a club get crucified by the media.

Kornstar

Coach
Let's face it, Timmy would only need to be at the pub on a night something happened for him to be implicated!!! He wouldn't even need to be there at the time, just as long as someone saw him there at some point, it would all be his fault!

parra pete

Referee
IF he has misbehaved -----and that is a big word IF....the bloke is a dead set goose..But in saying that..plenty of people are refused service for being intoxicated. It comes under the heading of RSA..and is not a crime, just a responsible action by Hotel staff...
There is a big difference in being pissed and misbehaving...Were they at the same place all night..or did they turn up pissed???
If so the establishment that served them had the right to put a stop to it when they were getting drunk. That's what they MUST do according to RSA laws...No big deal as far as I can see....

Kornstar

Coach
Sir Knight82 said:
I dont think it was Willy, if I remember correctly, I remember Bobcat, Pattern and O'Meley for that, it was a charity event right?

They got asked to leave and left and that was it, even though the media blew it out of proportion.

Hope things work out well for you guys even though I hate Smith and the Eels hate seeing a club get crucified by the media.

Yeah, that's the one. They spoke to the Operator of the club and he said it was simple, one of the group was refused service, so they all had to leave......the media made it sound like they were criminals......it appears we are the new Bulldogs :(

Kornstar

Coach
parra pete said:
IF he has misbehaved -----and that is a big word IF....the bloke is a dead set goose..But in saying that..plenty of people are refused service for being intoxicated. It comes under the heading of RSA..and is not a crime, just a responsible action by Hotel staff...
There is a big difference in being pissed and misbehaving...Were they at the same place all night..or did they turn up pissed???
If so the establishment that served them had the right to put a stop to it when they were getting drunk. That's what they MUST do according to RSA laws...No big deal as far as I can see....

Pete, you are dead right, i am a massive Tim Smith fan, but if he has done this then yes, he is a goose and will deserve whatever punishment the club dishes out.

But i will wait and see what the actual report is as i trust Rayyyyy as far as i could throw him!!

fish eel

Immortal
parra pete said:

You wouldnt be concerned, Pete, about players being in the drink mid week at this stage of the season?

Direct quote from club manager on the midday GB news:

"We cut them off. We have have a policy that when we cut one off, we cut the group off"