What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Smith

MrT

Juniors
Is it just me or is anyone else worried he might leave. He is only signed for next year. With the anti-tampering deadline abolished anyone could be negotiating for his services, even as I speek. Wouldn't be surprised if he wants to sus out hagan before he re-signs. Wouldn't have had this probem with JT as coach

Angry_eel

First Grade
Na he won't leave yet. he'll definately play next year and if he plays good he'll force us to pay large amount and maybe leave, if he plays crap he'll want to change teams.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MrT said:
Is it just me or is anyone else worried he might leave. He is only signed for next year. With the anti-tampering deadline abolished anyone could be negotiating for his services, even as I speek. Wouldn't be surprised if he wants to sus out hagan before he re-signs. Wouldn't have had this probem with JT as coach

I disagree, you'd have the same problem with anyone being our coach. it's not just Tim the same goes with anyone else off contract, they'll be a possible target and we like every other club need to act sooner to retain our stars.

bradeel

Juniors
If things go well next season on field with Brett Finch as 5/8th and Mick Hagan as coach, then Tim Smith won't want to go anywhere. If things aren;t going so well, then we'll probably be calling for his head anyway. Don't read into all the Daily Telegraph junk about him being unhappy. It has been proven on all counts to be unsubstantiated trash. It is totally understandable that Tim Smith might want to suss out his new coach and new halves partner but we can only assume that he'll be praying things turn out for the best and working his butt off to make sure that they do.

Stagger eel

Staff member
bradeel said:
If things go well next season on field with Brett Finch as 5/8th and Mick Hagan as coach, then Tim Smith won't want to go anywhere. If things aren;t going so well, then we'll probably be calling for his head anyway. Don't read into all the Daily Telegraph junk about him being unhappy. It has been proven on all counts to be unsubstantiated trash. It is totally understandable that Tim Smith might want to suss out his new coach and new halves partner but we can only assume that he'll be praying things turn out for the best and working his butt off to make sure that they do.

exactly, another thing you have to remember would any club gamble on signing a player who'e a great first season followed by an extremely poor season with a couple of decent matches under his belt, 18 months before the end of his contract ???

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the same can be said for any player

what if he doesnt' develop and we want to get rid of him, it works both ways

bradeel

Juniors
the point being that we can't afford to sit around worrying about how players might be feeling in 12 months time if things aren't going so well for them. Basically, you'd like to think that if players are playing well and we are winning games, the club will want to hang on to them and they will want to stay. With a young promising halfback like Tim Smith, the Eels have already shown their committment to a long term deal and Timmy knows that the club wants him to go well. I just don't reckon we need to stew over this one...

MrT

Juniors
eelavation said:
exactly, another thing you have to remember would any club gamble on signing a player who'e a great first season followed by an extremely poor season with a couple of decent matches under his belt, 18 months before the end of his contract ???

I'd say the Broncos would jump at the chance to sign him

Stagger eel

Staff member
MrT said:
I'd say the Broncos would jump at the chance to sign him

right now??

they've just signed boom younster Joel Moon..they wouldn't want Tim at the moment.

MrT

Juniors
jayjayselmes said:
good then let them sign him :crazy:

Who would you play at half back - Wade McKinnon I bet.

It's 26/07/06 and our only signings thus far are Lowrie and Finch, if we have a bad run with injuries next year look out

btaag

Juniors
Didn't you read Hagan's article from the Australian? this years player market was crazy and there were players going at inflated prices.

We have many good young players, an already impressive squad (despite all the losses) and a soon to be very popular head coach.

That we have not signed Myles or Simpson for an inflated $450,000 would suggest there is money left to sign playes like Tim in the future.

Brisbane would want lots of players, but with the cap and pre-existing players, it does not mean they will get them.:crazy: :crazy:

Hurriflatch

Referee
It doesn't matter how long a player is signed for they can still be signed after that

You could have a played under contract until the end of 2020 and another team can if they wanted to sign for for 2021 right now

bartman

Immortal
Who? Oh yeah, Tim...

If (hypothetically) he wants out, then good luck to him. The old adage applies - I'd rather have players who want to be here than players who don't.

Hopefully Tim wants to be here, and will relish the challenge of fighting for his position and getting his best form back with this club. But if he doesn't then look at what we've been doing as a team without him, with guys playing in the halves that some people seem to want to put sh*t on on a regular basis?

oneguy

Juniors
You'd hope the Eels will have the right of reply, and the decision to sign him (or not) can be made if and only if there is an alternate offer on board.

But, the danger of this is, in most cases, the player has already started thinking about leaving (mentally they may already be out the door), and it's harder to retain them. Much better to nip it in the bud, and secure them before this.

Gronk

Staff member
What a sh!t fight this free market is now. No wonder why Fitzy wanted to maintain the status quo until a more practical alternative was found.

Agree Oneguy, lets hope that we have the right of reply. Thats one alternative that the CEOs suggested last week.

Bottom line is that we can pay him just as much as the Broncos, its just a matter if he wants to play for us or them. The thing is that the open market works both ways, if Timmy baulks at an extension then we'll just have to move on and poach some other half from another club.

How can this be good for either players or clubs ? :crazy:

jayjayselmes

Juniors
MrT said:
Who would you play at half back - Wade McKinnon I bet.

It's 26/07/06 and our only signings thus far are Lowrie and Finch, if we have a bad run with injuries next year look out

nope pj for sure

better

1. Tackler
2. Runner of the ball ETC

its an easy choise and im sure hagan will make te right ecision next year

strider

Post Whore
jayjayselmes said:
nope pj for sure

better

1. Tackler
2. Runner of the ball ETC

its an easy choise and im sure hagan will make te right ecision next year

worse

1. passer
2. kicker

Maggie

Juniors
MrT said:

Wouldn't of had alot of problems if JT was coach......