What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timana Tahu out, Joel Monaghan in for State of Origin II

I don't believe Joey is racist. But I don't condone what he said. It's just wrong it was stupid. You don't say that. I don't blame Tahu for walking out either, If HE thought that it the was right thing to do then WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE? Everyone is different!! And people deal with things differently.

The Johns boys have alot of growing up to do. Their mistakes are always public events but thats the price you pay if you want that limelight life.

I sincerely believe Joey was caught up trying to motivate lift the player for the huge job against Inglis / Folau. And in the spur of the moment just said something silly and stupid, maybe he had a few drinks in him.

For me, If it was directed at me or if I heard something like that about a mate. I would have taken Joey aside and spoken to him one on one. I Would have told him how I really felt and that if I heard it again that our friendship was on the line. I would have drilled him but it would have been private because it happened privately.

If i wronged someone, I would respect the bloke even more if he came up to me and tried to deal with the issue face to face and in private. You resolve problems better this way.

But as I said previously, Tahu reacted the way he did because he felt it was the right thing to do. Nobody has the right to Judge him on that because we are not him. Everyone feels, operates differently. Tahu is making a stand, then we should all respect that.

Parra Guru

Coach
Bartman, let me paint you a little scenareo for you and I want to know how you feel about this, lets say NSW win on Wednesday night and in the euphoria of the celebrations, certain NSW players get together without the players with indingenious and poly backround for a group photo...actually lets say for the sake of this discussion that there about 8 players of anglo saxon backround in the squad and have all got together for a group photo in the middle of the arena...

what would your reaction be??...

I was extremely offended by that incident also, they pushed anglo saxon players out, and invited Karmichael Hunt in (who is Maori) so if that's not discriminating black vs white, I don't know what is.

I was surprised that it didn't generate any media interest....

QLD%20Group%209071568_763915_p.jpg

QLD%20Group%209071502_692147_p.jpg

Stagger eel

Staff member
I was extremely offended by that incident also, they pushed anglo saxon players out, and invited Karmichael Hunt in (who is Maori) so if that's not discriminating black vs white, I don't know what is.

I was surprised that it didn't generate any media interest....

QLD%20Group%209071568_763915_p.jpg

QLD%20Group%209071502_692147_p.jpg

I'm sure plenty would be taken back by it, I really would like to see Barts thoughts on this, would this behaviour still be enough to turn your back on your state and club??

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I see what you mean.

f**k the Lebanese, Italians, Greeks and Chinese too!

But these are ethnicities as well as nationalities.

We call countries like this 'nation-states', and they have their own pros and cons compared to multicultural states (like Australia and New Zealand).

Suitman

Post Whore
This argument just seems to be going around in circles now.

I'd love nothing more now than to see the Eels roll out a press conference with Tahu and Johns (considering he is on our staff) stating that the matter has been discussed between the two. Tahu to state that he has spoken with Johns and made his feelings clear to him. Johns to state that he understands where Timana is coming from and to apologise for the disruption this has caused to the NSW camp. I'd like to see them shake hands and get on with it.

Tahu has clearly made his point now by bringing the issue into the open, and the media uproar it has caused has served his purpose well.

Johns has learnt a valuable lesson for a person in such an important and responsible position.
I think much has been gained by this, and not just by those involved but the wider community. There is no more point dragging the whole thing along and giving the media any more reason to search for a trivialisation of the subject.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
This argument just seems to be going around in circles now.

I'd love nothing more now than to see the Eels roll out a press conference with Tahu and Johns (considering he is on our staff) stating that the matter has been discussed between the two. Tahu to state that he has spoken with Johns and made his feelings clear to him. Johns to state that he understands where Timana is coming from and to apologise for the disruption this has caused to the NSW camp. I'd like to see them shake hands and get on with it.

Tahu has clearly made his point now by bringing the issue into the open, and the media uproar it has caused has served his purpose well.

Johns has learnt a valuable lesson for a person in such an important and responsible position.
I think much has been gained by this, and not just by those involved but the wider community. There is no more point dragging the whole thing along and giving the media any more reason to search for a trivialisation of the subject.

Suity

I agree.

Rather than knee jerk sackings that have no real follow through other than an initial strong statement, things like this should be used as an opportunity to educate and change.

Suitman

Post Whore
I agree.

Rather than knee jerk sackings that have no real follow through other than an initial strong statement, things like this should be used as an opportunity to educate and change.

Precisely.
As I said somewhere earlier, all that does is sweep the issue under the carpet without actually dealing with it.

Suity

Tank30

Juniors
I think your definition is a bit out of date, and far too narrow.

Not my definition. Here are some others though...
rac·ism (r
amacr.gif
prime.gif
s
ibreve.gif
z
lprime.gif
schwa.gif
m)
n. 1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

rac·ism (rā′siz′əm)
noun
  1. belief in or doctrine asserting racial differences in character, intelligence, etc. and the superiority of one race over another or others: racist doctrine also, typically, seeks to maintain the supposed purity of a race or the races
  2. any program or practice of racial discrimination, segregation, etc., specif., such a program or practice that upholds the political or economic domination of one race over another or others
  3. feelings or actions of hatred and bigotry toward a person or persons because of their race
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Still fail to see how Joey's words fit the bill.

Gronk

Staff member
Racism is defined as the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races

Well I'm certainly not racist. I'm superior to everyone, even my own kind.

hi.gif

guruminga

Juniors
A couple of things on reflection

2. I think Tahu was totally right to do what he did. It's shown up Johns to be the ignorant fool he is. Unrelated to this incident, I do however think that Tahu is a selfish individual at times, and makes a lot of things about himself. Highlighted in the article Strider posted:
http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2010/05/22/1273948213184.html

Are you serious??:sarcasm:

I don't see how any of that points to Tahu being serious or trying to make things about himself. This is a bloke who had an incredibly hard upbringing and resents (rightly so) to a certain extent the conditions he had to live in. He's trying to move on with life and make a real go at it. He's concerned that he prioritises family before money, and has a strong desire to see Indigenous people standing tall and being proud of their heritage. I'm sure he explained his 'blow up' to Hayne and they worked it through. He obviously wears his heart on his sleave, and sure it might mean he's a little volatile at times, but at least he's passionate about what he believes in.

G

Parra Guru

Coach
Are you serious??:sarcasm:

I don't see how any of that points to Tahu being serious or trying to make things about himself. This is a bloke who had an incredibly hard upbringing and resents (rightly so) to a certain extent the conditions he had to live in. He's trying to move on with life and make a real go at it. He's concerned that he prioritises family before money, and has a strong desire to see Indigenous people standing tall and being proud of their heritage. I'm sure he explained his 'blow up' to Hayne and they worked it through. He obviously wears his heart on his sleave, and sure it might mean he's a little volatile at times, but at least he's passionate about what he believes in.

G

I just think he gets a bit over emotional at times, but I guess that mentality has also made him such a good player. He sees himself as an underdog.

Just my opinion.

guruminga

Juniors
I just think he gets a bit over emotional at times, but I guess that mentality has also made him such a good player. He sees himself as an underdog.

Just my opinion.

No worries, sorry about the sarcasm. I was just a little surprised by what you got out of the article.

G

Parra Guru

Coach
No it's fine, I know my opinion is different to most on that issue. I just think it’s good of Hayne to show initiative. Nothing stopping Tahu from suggesting a different idea. A lot of those kids end up in those places because they are abused and/or their parents are junkies and yeah they have no guidance. Some of them don’t actually know how to have a normal adult conversation. They're not any more or less deserving of a visit from people who may motivate them to become better people.

guruminga

Juniors
I totally agree, and am in no way suggesting that they are undeserving of any help/visits, etc. All it takes is one wrong decision or (like you said) lack of guidance and kids can end up on the other side of the law and into those boys homes. I'm sure Tahu would have no problem helping them out either. It obviously just struck a nerve with him, and that prompted his reaction.

I would love to see the government take seriously both situations and support a community-based approach to improving the level of care, support and resources of these homes and hostels.

G

mrpwnd

Bench
I think the worst thing Joey has done is let Mundine get into all this.
That whiny idiot is complaining even though he managed to get a SOO game despite playing behind legends like Fittler and Daley, FMD i'm sorry but he just wasn't the best or anywhere near the best at that time-_-

I think the worst thing Joey has done is let Mundine get into all this.
That whiny idiot is complaining even though he managed to get a SOO game despite playing behind legends like Fittler and Daley, FMD i'm sorry but he just wasn't the best or anywhere near the best at that time-_-
how do you shut mundine up? im sure if someone comes up with a solution there would be a dollar in it id take 3 :D

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but a few weeks back on the footy show they asked Sam Thaiday why he is having a good year, he said "I used to be a lazy black fella"

Why the need to reference the word "black"?