What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timana

jasonl

Juniors
excellent contribution:roll:, now why did you put it in the tigers forum

Didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibilities 87. One would think that this fiasco would have resonance right across the game. Johns leaving camp is a major deal on a number of levels - a paradigm shift for the entire game.

And why? Because Tahu wants to inject some interest in a career that was over three seasons ago and doesn't care one iota that his actions will fatally impact the preparation of a fragmented side that is already running scared.

At this level its just plain wrong.

Wally Lewis throughout his career was constantly referred to (both on and off the field) as that bald cu*t. Did he take his marbels and go home? Nope. Its a part of the game and you just get on with it.

Tahu should go and buy himself a sundress and a parasol.

Or maybe switch codes again - I hear the Soceroos are hiring.

I posted this on here because first and foremost this is a Rugby League forum. Sure its WT based but do we really need another Fitzhenry thread?

Open your mind pal - you might be surprised where it takes you.

Jase

Eelementary

Post Whore
Didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibilities 87. One would think that this fiasco would have resonance right across the game. Johns leaving camp is a major deal on a number of levels - a paradigm shift for the entire game.

And why? Because Tahu wants to inject some interest in a career that was over three seasons ago and doesn't care one iota that his actions will fatally impact the preparation of a fragmented side that is already running scared.

At this level its just plain wrong.

Wally Lewis throughout his career was constantly referred to (both on and off the field) as that bald cu*t. Did he take his marbels and go home? Nope. Its a part of the game and you just get on with it.

Tahu should go and buy himself a sundress and a parasol.

Or maybe switch codes again - I hear the Soceroos are hiring.

I posted this on here because first and foremost this is a Rugby League forum. Sure its WT based but do we really need another Fitzhenry thread?

Open your mind pal - you might be surprised where it takes you.

Jase

Please - PLEASE - tell me you weren't that stupid that you just compared racism to balding.

Bench
Please - PLEASE - tell me you weren't that stupid that you just compared racism to balding.
Tahu is a black person,that is not a racist comment,it is a fact,he needs to harden up,he has lost all respect in my eyes,and should never get selected for origin again,although he shouldn't have made it this year either.
Too many people are bleeding hearts these days,racism is not using the word black about a black person,if someone says white motherf***** then no one bats an eyelid and nor they should,it is all about the black people,racism seems to only work one way.

N.C.

Juniors
Tahu is a black person,that is not a racist comment,it is a fact,he needs to harden up,he has lost all respect in my eyes,and should never get selected for origin again,although he shouldn't have made it this year either.
Too many people are bleeding hearts these days,racism is not using the word black about a black person,if someone says white motherf***** then no one bats an eyelid and nor they should,it is all about the black people,racism seems to only work one way.
The wrongness of your comments are simply astonishing.

jasonl

Juniors

Jesus, sometimes you feel like you're talking to 3 year olds on here.

Of course I'm not comparing the two in the abstract. The point is that these kinds of things get said as part and parcel of what is a very passionate and bloody hard game.

Black cu*t, bald cu*t, fat cu*t whatever - the operative word is cu*t. It might surprise you but (rightly or wrongly) coaches and players use this kind of lexicon all the time (btw, ever heard Craig Bellamy in full flight in the sheds at half time? I have and it's worse than a gang of prison wardens on a meth binge).

If Timana were serious he'd do the right thing by his team, keep his head down and then pull out the Kleenex at the end of the series.

As to racism towards GI - what utter bullsh*t. He's one of the top five players in the game and immensely respected.

Tahu knows it and Johns knows it and we know it.

None of this is necessary.

N.C.

Juniors

Of course I'm not comparing the two in the abstract. The point is that these kinds of things get said as part and parcel of what is a very passionate and bloody hard game.

Black cu*t, bald cu*t, fat cu*t whatever - the operative word is cu*t. It might surprise you but (rightly or wrongly) coaches and players use this kind of lexicon all the time (btw, ever heard Craig Bellamy in full flight in the sheds at half time? I have and it's worse than a gang of prison wardens on a meth binge).

If Timana were serious he'd do the right thing by his team, keep his head down and then pull out the Kleenex at the end of the series.

As to racism towards GI - what utter bullsh*t. He's one of the top five players in the game and immensely respected.

A least we can agree on one thing, then...

holman

Juniors
Andrew Johns should have just referred to Inglis as a F---ing TRAITOR because that is exactly what he is, they used to shoot these bastards during the war. We can thank the stupid lazy NSWRL for not checking his eligibility to play for NSW, now we are looking down the barrel of 5 straight. I think the reality will hit them when the ANZ stadium will be quarter full for game 3 if QLD wrap up the series on WED. night.

Eelementary

Post Whore

No - the cutting part of those comments are the parts describing what type of 'merkin' they are. Black merkin, bald merkin - it's not the merkin that would tick people off.

If you think using a term such as that to describe someone is fine, then more power to you. But Timana didn't. And he probably has a right to say so, being an indigenous man.

If you yourself are black and you're claiming you wouldn't be offended by someone using a racial slur on you, then, again - more power to you. Just because you find something inoffensive doesn't make you right.

Eelementary

Post Whore

...Joey? Is...Is that you?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
jason, am I to believe that you think Timana was offended by Inglis being called a merkin, and not by being called black in an intentionally demeaning way?

N.C.

Juniors
NC, if you've got an issue with anything I said then please come out with it.
What you classify as "normal" has just been challenged in a very public and dramatic way.

Tahu is probably used to hearing disparaging remarks based on his heritage - more so (and in more ways) than any white person would be. He is qualified and entitled to sieze this opportunity to draw attention to the implications of racist "banter" in Rugby League.

Frequent though this kind of language and attitude may be, there is nothing "normal" about it.

I recall making those kinds of "off-the-cuff" remarks as a kid - and I grew up in a small country town which has had its share of racial disharmony over the last twenty years. My remarks seemed harmless to me at the time but now that I look back I see people I went to school with stuck in that sh*t-hole with no hope of ever getting a job, or in gaol, drinking too much, living in sub-standard housing, beating each other up and with a life-expectancy about 17 years shorter than my own... and I realise that when I called one of my mates a black-cu*t I was saying "I have no idea what it means to be you". As a naive ten year old, maybe I could get away with it. As a 34 year old legend of the game and role model to thousands, Johns has no such excuse.

I grew up in the same place that Greg Inglis did - that's why I hate the cu*t for playing for Queensland. But I don't for a second think that he's due an easy ride in life just because he can play football, and is "respected" for it. I know plenty of people who look up to him because he's able to do what they can't - because they know that if it wasn't for his incredible talent he would be just another black-cu*t from the Bowra mission.

Wake up to yourself.

Last edited:

N.C.

Juniors
You are a first class racist f**kwit and you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

jasonl

Juniors
jason, am I to believe that you think Timana was offended by Inglis being called a merkin, and not by being called black in an intentionally demeaning way?

I think Timana has a range of issues and might well need some professional help.

This is the same guy who about a month ago held a press conference to state that an Origin jersey was worth more than a Wallaby jersey.

The ARU, who had paid (and rather handsomely paid) the guy's wages for the past years were naturally appalled.

Was there any need for the comment? Nope, but little Timana had something to say and pretty clearly likes to see his face in the papers.

As to being called black - is that offensive?

The President of the United States is black, Muhammad Ali is black, Usain Bolt is black, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson were black.

You think that those extraordinary people would be offended by the word "black"?

At the end of the day its just name calling - my family originally came out here from Italy and if I had a dollar for every time I was called a "fu*king
Mediterranean Descendant" in the schoolyard or on the field I'd be millionaire.

What Tahu has done here is deliberately and radically destabilised a state rep team on the eve of possibly the most important Origin match in a decade.

And that's unacceptable.

If he had an issue with Johns he could have sorted it out privately and man to man.

What Johns said about Inglis could have been said by any coach about any player at any time.

NC, you tell me to wake up to myself? What the hell man - this is first grade NRL, not the Anglican Under 11s netball league.

Get over it.

Last edited:

Dane Pymble

Juniors
Dudes, I would like to weigh in on this with my own two cents. I consider that using the word black in the form of a noun is not racist ie this person is black, this car is black etc etc.

However when it is used as an adjective ito describe a noun that is considered to be unappealing it does become racist as it is implying that to be black is to be inferior ie you black b^stard or what not.

Therfore it is not the use of the word black itself that is racist it is how it is used.

I feel the same about people that use the word gay (I hear the Big Maan on 2GB always saying it as it is used in society at large) in the same manner like "That player is gay" as if a player with poor footballing ability has something to do with a given sexual preference (usually the result of genetics and not choice despite what is believed by the homophobes). I am sure Ian Roberts might be able to weigh in on that point.

NB I am a raving hetrosexual I just don't like people being treated unjustly.

I am sure I will be panned for this (there are probably 1000x the homophobes as there are racists) but I don't particularly care.

Peace

hellteam

First Grade
I think Timana has a range of issues and might well need some professional help.

This is the same guy who about a month ago held a press conference to state that an Origin jersey was worth more than a Wallaby jersey.

The ARU, who had paid (and rather handsomely paid) the guy's wages for the past years were naturally appalled.

Was there any need for the comment? Nope, but little Timana had something to say and pretty clearly likes to see his face in the papers.

As to being called black - is that offensive?

The President of the United States is black, Muhammad Ali is black, Usain Bolt is black, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson were black.

You think that those extraordinary people would be offended by the word "black"?

At the end of the day its just name calling - my family originally came out here from Italy and if I had a dollar for every time I was called a "fu*king
Mediterranean Descendant" in the schoolyard or on the field I'd be millionaire.

What Tahu has done here is deliberately and radically destabilised a state rep team on the eve of possibly the most important Origin match in a decade.

And that's unacceptable.

If he had an issue with Johns he could have sorted it out privately and man to man.

What Johns said about Inglis could have been said by any coach about any player at any time.

NC, you tell me to wake up to myself? What the hell man - this is first grade NRL, not the Anglican Under 11s netball league.

Get over it.

So I'll summarise what you're saying here.

Tahu - destabalised a rep rugby league team

Andrew Johns - Racially vilified a player in front of his team, which included Aboriginal people, something that Tahu felt very strongly about. It's not that he called him black, he called him a black merkin, which is digraceful. Every time someone says derogatory terms like that it reinforces the 200 years of mistreatment and shocking social policies by our Government and by people saying it's not a big deal its show that we have come NOWHERE.

Tahu has shown courage, you on the other hand are a complete ignorant pigheaded wanker