What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Out for kicks at Goal

Hiekka

Juniors
During the semi finals I was timing how long it took from scoring of a try until the restart kickoff. It ranged from about 40 seconds when teams are in are in a hurry up to 2 mins 30 seconds when teams are looking to run down the clock.

Have look at how long Cameron Smith took to take his conversions in the Grand Fnal.

What about having time off from the time a try is scored until the next kickoff - or possibly put a cap on it of say 1 minute They addressed this issue with scrums allowing time out when a team forms the scrum.

In an 8 try game you are losing over 16 minutes in downtime.

Thoughts?

Frederick

Staff member
I thought they introduced a kick clock after Hazem's kick v Newcastle in 2002 when he took an absolute age to line it up and kick it...something like 3-4 minutes, maybe more.

Eelementary

Post Whore
My two cents is they should borrow a little from the NFL: basically, put a time limit, say 90 seconds, per kick. But as the kick is being taken, stop the clock. And only restart the clock when the ball is back in play.

It won't be popular with many people because they may feel the game would drag on too long, but it kind of irritates me when you've got 25 minutes in a game gone, the score is 12-all and you've only really seen 17 minutes of play or so because they took 2 minutes to kick each goal...It ends up costing a lot of real play time.

Well, those are my thoughts anyway.

jc155776

Coach
Mandatory 30 second break with the time off and time goes back on once the ball is kicked, that includes the running the ball back to halfway to allow for an ad break. That way we dont lose time OR miss play due to an ad being on.

Should also start fining the time wasters again.

Just give them a minute to kick the goal - have a shot clock, and if they don't kick it within the minute they lose the shot at goal. Then watch them all quite easily get the kicks done in that time

They did a 90 second one for a $2,000 penalty a few years back, after a Brent Webb field day where I think he took over 15 minutes of the game kicking for goal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hate to suggest it but maybe 60 seconds to prepare for the kick (allowing TV to slip in an ad) then ref blows his whistle and you get 30secs to kick it from then.

It would be awful to see someone take say 93 seconds to kick a game-winning goal and lose $2,000 for getting your team over the line.
I don't know...

Kick within the allotted time or forfeit the kick. Fines do NOT work.

Fines bloody work better than threatening to forfeit the kick.
If a team is down 22-21 in the Grand Final, it's full time and the kicker is under f*ckloads of pressure, the "allotted time" is going to be the last f*cking thing he should think about.

jc155776

Coach
Hate to suggest it but maybe 60 seconds to prepare for the kick (allowing TV to slip in an ad) then ref blows his whistle and you get 30secs to kick it from then.

Haha thats what I said but i suggested 30 seconds.

I think the 1 minute is a better idea though!

aussies1st

Staff member
Just give them a minute to kick the goal - have a shot clock, and if they don't kick it within the minute they lose the shot at goal. Then watch them all quite easily get the kicks done in that time

I would go for this but make it 90 seconds which seems to be the accepted time. Fining a player won't mean much for a win but losing the opportunity to win it is.

Another thing. In 2009, especially from Canterbury supporters, people have been marvelling about the goalkicking feats of Hazem El Masri. If you limit all this crap onto kickers, there will be a reason when people say "there won't be another Hazem".

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Fines bloody work better than threatening to forfeit the kick.
If a team is down 22-21 in the Grand Final, it's full time and the kicker is under f*ckloads of pressure, the "allotted time" is going to be the last f*cking thing he should think about.
Why?

If players get used to performing their rituals within a certain time then why should the last kick in a Grand Final be any different?

Forfeiting the kick is a great idea...

...but only if all other areas of the slowing the game down (eg line-drop outs etc) are policed with the same rigour.

I think that everyone knows the rule book needs a full overhaul as it hasn't been properly looked at and overhauled to cope for modern footy, it just gets tinkered with each year.

E.T.D

Juniors
Deactivate the countdown clock when the try is officially awarded.

Reactivate the countdown clock when the kicker is in his final stance before converting.

Deactivate the clock when the conversion is officially awarded or missed.

The time between the kicker lining up and the conversion should be around 10 seconds. It's much better than seeing up to 2 minutes being wasted.

No time should be wasted whilst a team is celebrating a try.

Why?

If players get used to performing their rituals within a certain time then why should the last kick in a Grand Final be any different?

Forfeiting the kick is a great idea...

...but only if all other areas of the slowing the game down (eg line-drop outs etc) are policed with the same rigour.

I think that everyone knows the rule book needs a full overhaul as it hasn't been properly looked at and overhauled to cope for modern footy, it just gets tinkered with each year.

I agree on policing the other timewasting activities. Drop outs are easy - penalise the kicking team as soon as they do something that isn't getting straight to the point of getting the ball back in play asap - even formalise it with a time limit if you want. A handful of penalties 10m out in front of the posts to the other team will have that fixed in the first round or two.

Another thing I'd be going after is laying around in tackles, especially when the tacklers look at the ref or defensive line to see if its set (or the ref looks like he's getting close to blowing a penalty). I'd take the view that as soon as a tackler looks around, they are not clearing the ruck quickly enough and penalise them.

Latest posts