What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to fight AFL (60 Minutes)

What, there are no floggings in junior RL? Never? Ever?

Amazing

since you are an expert on AFL, can you please comment on the article which said that the toilets at the MCG were one of the favoured places for gay men to hook up?

perhaps that explains the long half time breaks in the sport. to allow the players a bit of a "breather"

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
And what a coincidence with the "everyday mums" interviewed in the story. Tanya Oziel is the latest stealth propaganda tool for the AFL and has been quoted everywhere in the last few weeks dribbling on about the contrived Israel - Palestine team shes pushing solving world peace and about the kids of Sydney dreaming of nothing but tight shorts and elbows to the head.
Demetriou and his cronies are obviously actively getting her head placed in the media all over the shop and sliding her a bit of coin as thanks.

Chrsitine Foote is also the registra for the Marouba Club. Great unbiased reporting from Ch 9.

How about 60 minutes run the same story, but instead interview some parents actively involved with the Altona Roosters in Melbourne, some typical inhabitants of Western Sydney rather than Mrs Oziel from Vaucluse, Reg Ragen at a Swans game, 5 minutes with Michael Searle and 10 seconds with Demetriou.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
And what a coincidence with the "everyday mums" interviewed in the story. Tanya Oziel is the latest stealth propaganda tool for the AFL and has been quoted everywhere in the last few weeks dribbling on about the contrived Israel - Palestine team shes pushing solving world peace and about the kids of Sydney dreaming of nothing but tight shorts and elbows to the head.
Demetriou and his cronies are obviously actively getting her head placed in the media all over the shop and sliding her a bit of coin as thanks.

Chrsitine Foote is also the registra for the Marouba Club. Great unbiased reporting from Ch 9.

How about 60 minutes run the same story, but instead interview some parents actively involved with the Altona Roosters in Melbourne, some typical inhabitants of Western Sydney rather than Mrs Oziel from Vaucluse, Reg Ragen at a Swans game, 5 minutes with Michael Searle and 10 seconds with Demetriou.

Please post some of Harvey's mailbag up here the coming Sunday night.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i'm sure his mailbag will only be of emails saying how great AFL is going in Sydney. probably sent in from some nuffy in Victoria

Dr J.

Juniors
of course that was after the AFL threw in money on top like they do for many clubs that are struggling in melbourne.

essendon get massive crowds and arent healthy financially.

id like to see that.

So funny a RL fan claiming one of the richest sporting clubs in Australia is broke.

Ya dreamin

Kiki

First Grade
i didnt watch it because the ad pissed me off enough.

'afl...stealing loyal fans away from rugby league'

ummm...if they are loyal fans they arent gonna be stolen.

Dr J why in gods name are you on a rugby league forum if you're so into AFL?

I just wish there was an AFL troll who could;

A) Spell.
B) Not be gay.
C) Have a corehent discussion.
D) Not be gay.

I know that's "Not be gay" twice, but it's twice as relevant as anything else.

gregstar

Referee
gay & stupid.

i'm beginning to sympathise with adolf. he must have crossed paths with a victorian regiment sometime during 1914-18. this obviously left an impression worthy of his response.

kill tards

kill poofs

j5o6hn

Juniors
You got to remember most Victorians and people on Big Footy are just not dreadfully bright,and from there spelling and comprehension have a mental age of 8.

Brutus

Referee
Tany Oziel hey

PM_oziel_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...l-jumps-barrier/2008/04/18/1208025478600.html

THE idea for an Australian football team made up of Israelis and Palestinians in the AFL's International Cup, to be played in Victoria later this year, began with Tanya Oziel.
Ms Oziel is a Sephardic Jew whose family origins go back to Iraq. She grew up in Sydney and went to a local high school where none of the boys played Australian football.
In 1986, when she was 17, she went to Israel and worked on a kibbutz for five years and met her husband, Reuven.
In 1990, they returned to Australia where Reuven turned on the TV one night and was converted to AFL. Tanya and Reuven had a son, Haim, who grew up with his father's passion for the game and, at the age of 10, announced: "I want to play footy". "But Haim," Tanya replied, "they play on Saturday." While "not absolutely a religious Jew", the Sabbath was important to her as a family day, but her son was insistent. "I actually gave in. This is what Australian football does to people."
It was no easy thing to find a local AFL club in Sydney and, when they finally located the Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs, they were told the club's junior teams were full. Instead, they were sent down the road to the Maroubra Saints. Haim kicked four goals on debut and eight against the Bulldogs in the grand final. He has since made the NSW combined independent schools team for his age group two years in a row.
Prior to taking up footy, Haim's mother says he was a Jewish kid going to a Jewish school; that was his world. Now one of his best mates is a Torres Strait Islander and his mother shares his passion for the Maroubra Saints, which she describes as their family club. "That old Sherrin ball is special," she says. "It has a soul. It keeps jumping barriers."
Previously the CEO of the Australian-Israel Chamber of Commerce in NSW, Ms Oziel is now the executive director of the Australian chapter of the Peres Peace Centre, an organisation established by Israeli president Shimon Peres 10 years ago to encourage grassroots peace initiatives between Palestinians and Israelis. "I'm very strong in my Jewishness," she says. "But what is the alternative to peace? There is all this hatred in the world, but where does it get us?"

Footy expanded her son's life in a way she believed was good. She began to see the larger potential of this. With James Demetriou of Sport Without Borders (brother of AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou), she floated the idea of taking Auskick to Israeli and Palestinian children. Then the AFL's multicultural officer, Nick Hatzoglou, suggested bringing a team here. On Wednesday, in the AFL's boardroom, a collection of businessmen donated nearly $300,000 to make that possible.
Ms Oziel says Australian football is better than soccer for the purpose she has in mind — Palestinians and Israelis meeting through a sport about which they have no preconceptions and no history. Their world, Israeli versus Palestinian, is about little else but preconceptions.
An appeal was made to expatriate Australians in Israel to put on an exhibition match, which they did. AFL official Kevin Sheehan flew to Israel and took a series of training sessions.
Scenes from a documentary being made about the team show Sheehan in front of a whiteboard with the team instructions written in two languages, Arabic and Hebrew. The team has two coaches: one Palestinian, one Israeli. The Palestinian was previously involved in armed conflict. A Palestinian team member described Australian football as "a good meeting place".
The International Cup begins on August 27. After arriving in Australia, the Peres Centre Peace Team will be coached by former Brownlow medallist Robert DiPierdomenico. Called a Mediterranean Descendant as a schoolkid, he knows all about football's ability to transcend barriers.
Ms Oziel says her dream is that the Peres Centre Peace Team wins the International Cup's developing nation division.
"That would show anything is possible," she says.

SO MUCH FOR BEING AN "EVERYDAY MUM"

The Propaganda machine is in full swing fellas. Could be another one on the AFL payroll.

Nuke

Staff member
I've just been going through an old book of mine, and I found a couple of paragraphs both interesting and strangely current.

It is basically talking about how the Knights came about. They were asked to submit a proposal to the NSWRL for the 1982 season, but they declined due to them feeling a team in the NSWRL would weaken the Newcastle Rugby League, and that they didn't feel they were ready. Canberra then got given the licence instead (as Illawarra was already given a licence). After a couple of years of planning and research, Newcastle then submitted their proposal to the NSWRL, but was turned down. I quote the book from this point:

By 1985 Newcastle had a concerted proposal to drop on Sydney's doorstep. The NSW Rugby League was most impressed but rejected the idea on the basis that the game's expansionist policy had been placed on ice. In fact, the policy makers had adopted a plan for fewer, rather than more, clubs. Newcastle re-applied in 1986 only to be met with the same response.

Yet help was at hand, and it came from the most unlikely source. The Victorian Football League had decided to spread the Australian Rules gospel by relocating the South Melbourne Swans to Sydney and launching the Brisbane Bears in Queensland. Suddenly, the rugby league heartland was under siege from an expansionist and ambitious code. To counter the threat from the southern game, the NSW Rugby League plucked its own expansionist policy from the bottom drawer, dusted it off and put it right back on the agenda. When the Newcastle delegation took their case to Sydney again, the response was entirely different. To answer the Aussie Rules challenge, the NSWRL had committed itself to a plan that would increase the premiership composition from 13 to 16 clubs.

In April 1987, the NSWRL's Phillip Street headquarters issued a bold proclamation. Not one, but three new clubs would take part in the 1988 premiership. They would be Brisbane, the Gold Coast.......... and Newcastle.

This is from the book 'Our Town, Our Team: The Story Of The Newcastle Knights' by Neil Jameson. I think it came out in 1992 sometime.

The more things change ...!

MuleEel

Juniors
VFL is phony.
This is why I hate the sport and why it will not succeed in Sydney or Queensland. I think League should learn some valuable lessons from VFL and then ten or twenty years from now drive it back down into Melbourne and devour it for dead.
The moves into Western Sydney and the GC are based on arrogance. The VFL will loss money with these ventures which is OK at the moment but when the TV revenue inbalance irons itself out it will really sting.
There are intelligent people in the VFL as there are in Rugby League, but the VFL will over capitalise and when the pinch comes they are not going to really know how to battle through tough periods. League has always had to battle and struggle. It is built on this.