What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to fight AFL (60 Minutes)

Knight87

Juniors
They should just knock down Carrara Stadium. Then, with the QLD Government not willing to budge for another new stadium, the Gold Coast franchise will have to play games out of the Gabba. ROFL! We'll see if the real, die-hard AFL fans from the GC will be willing to travel 80km or so, every home match to see their team.

Brutus

Referee
The story was a disgrace and totally slanted towards AFL. The fact they couldn't pick anyone else but Mark Geyer to talk up the RL side was a joke.

Shorty

Staff member
My point is that mocking the AFL for "only" getting 8,000 in a RL heartland area is ridiculous and suggesting that they can't have a succesful GC AFL team (depending on how you define success) because they only got 8,000 is also ridiculous.
No,if you'd read my posts correctly I had stated that I am not mocking the AFL but predicting a failure.

And sorry but I don't think it's totally out of the question to think it will be a failure seeing as 1000 tickets had been sold a week before the game.
For a city that does not have an AFL team those numbers are not acceptable and if you think it's a success(LOL) then you're seriously deluded.

. As is suggesting that because the AFL don't draw the same as the Titans for games played on the GC therefore they are wasting their time is also ridiculous.
Um,please tell me why it's ridiculous?
I think it's totally fine actually,nobody wants to watch an AFL team that was shafted up to the GC because the AFL are so self absorbed that they thought the GC would grab at any team they got.

As it is,if the Titans hadn't been so successful,there still would be some sort of team relocating to the GC.
It seems to be whoever is poor is going up to the GC.
I have no love of the AFL and no desire to see them succesful in Q'land but I don't see too many failures in the last 20 years for them! They have an administration taht we could only dream of in the NRL.
Umm the Bears?? LOL.
And the Lions were only embraced when they were winning multiple premierships.

How do you think a crappy performing AFL team is going to compete with a potential premiership winning Rugby League side?
One mind you,that took many years of failed teams to produce,if that doesn't tell you how the coast feels about that sport nothing will.

Also Perth had a League team,therefore I don't feel they're comparable because it was a market that the NRL had previously been a part of,that's a lot different.

Brutus

Referee
Fancy getting that Billy Brownhole turd to sit down and put sh*t on RL during a Storm game in the 60 mins story.

What point did that serve Ch 9?

Knight87

Juniors
ROFL! I was actually surprised he was at a NRL match, tbh. Funny thing is then: why go to one if you hate the sport? Maybe he was paid to go to it. Infact, it would've even made it more disgraceful if they interviewed Sam Newman or Eddie McGuire at an NRL match instead. Now, THAT would've been interesting.

Fancy getting that Billy Brownhole turd to sit down and put sh*t on RL during a Storm game in the 60 mins story.

What point did that serve Ch 9?

Yeah I thought they could've got an ex league player to do the same thing "Oh look, they get a point for missing and can't hold the ball" etc

Knight87

Juniors
should've got Eddie McGuire or Sam Newman to be interviewed at an NRL game. Would've been very interesting to see what both of them would've said. Would've been interesting to see whether Ed would've been prepared to bare his reputation to say what he really felt.

meltiger

First Grade
^^ not sure you'd get too much joy out of Newman's views.

Eddie McEverywhere is a fan though I'm pretty sure, regardless of what his preferred game may be.

Spud

Juniors
People defending the 6000 crowd on the basis that it was good considering two out of town teams, remember the Cowboys played the Bulldogs at Suncorp last year and got about 18,000. The Cows & Dogs are playing at Suncorp again this year.

ucantseeme

Juniors
If 60 minutes mailbag gets enough responses from this one story there is bound to be another story down the track:

eg, Soccer vs Rugby League - Peter Overton discovers soccer is played in more countries than RL. Gorilla references aplenty.

eg. Netball vs Rugby League - Peter Overton discovers a higher percentage of girls play netball than play RL. Garry Jack's niece chose to play netball over RL.

beave

Coach
People defending the 6000 crowd on the basis that it was good considering two out of town teams, remember the Cowboys played the Bulldogs at Suncorp last year and got about 18,000. The Cows & Dogs are playing at Suncorp again this year.

i think it was closer to 14k, but we get your point none the less.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
A crowd of 8000 for the AFL is equivalent to the NRL getting 1000. (Not to even take into account the 8000 free tickets and 1,500 actual sold tickets...) Anyone who seriously thinks there is a market for fumbleball on the GC is kidding themselves.

the best thing that could happen to RL is the AFL puts in teams in western sydney and gold coast, they spend tens of millions of dollars propping them up and they eventually fail.

and hopefully they might also affect the financial viability of the swans and lions as well.

if AFL is basing its expansion on current popularity it wouldnt be going ahead.

its taking a massive risk and it could cost them severely.

once the nrl gets a team in perth, central coast, wellington and another in queensland we will dwarf the code.

Father Jack

Juniors
I think some of you are reading too much into one game.

And I still want to see some proof to back up these 8k free tix claims.

HevyDevy

Coach
Has anyone pointed out that the financial problems that have been highlighted in the past week aren't isolated to rugby league?

Essendon, for example, lost $2 million last year. Already the AFL has seen a number of clubs either merge or broach the possibility.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Has anyone pointed out that the financial problems that have been highlighted in the past week aren't isolated to rugby league?

Essendon, for example, lost $2 million last year. Already the AFL has seen a number of clubs either merge or broach the possibility.

and Melbourne are up the sh*t and some have suggested they relocate

Alehana

Juniors
i dont know what else we can do to get the afl networks to give league air time it deserves, lets face the facts
channel 9 has no sport in winter now that afl is on 10, yet they still act as if they are showing it, whilst giving league a midnight time slot, but when the ratings come in for SOO and league games shown at good times they are enormous, yet even when afl get sh!t ratings in sydney and brisbane the tv CEO's come out syaing its thei comapny line to support afl, it hurts them, but they have a duty or something along those lines, i just dont know what else we can do to get games at a good time, the asnwer has to be, tv networks ceo's have an agenda to support afl as the national sport, regardless, maybe its an arrangement with afl, i dont konw, but its how i c it. i'm lost for answers tbh, its a bit like the catholic church proclaiming the earth was the centre of the solar system, even when gallelio proved that it clearly wasn't, just dont understnad what else we can do, i mean the sydney club crisis doesn't help and the numbers at the game, but the tv ratings speak fro themselves if that is what the networks go on

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the NRl had any kahoonas they would include TV show times in the contract, just like the AFL. Ch9 shouldn't have an option of showing it, it should be a requirement of the contract!