What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

Alex28

Coach
Macavity does have a history of Burro love Alex, I dont see the issue.

If being mates with Burro is something to be called out on - fair enough.

But the "blinkers" comment wasn't about that. It was suggesting that he believed and followed everything he said and that is just crap. He got educated, he changed his mind, he came out and said as much. Don't know what more he could do than that.

Mac is a mate and if I think he is being unfairly treated I'm going to have his back.

perverse

Referee
lol, such a media whore. some choice outtakes there, dude... you chose your words wisely. i can think of more accurate words than conservative, most of which ive already let fly in the numerous threads regarding our voting membership.

Alex28

Coach
There is a very prominent ad on Page 6 of this mornings Herald from the Patrons Trust urging a no vote to Tinkler's takeover. In it he highlights that the club isn't really $2.3 Million in debt (which is absolutely correct), the ground repair bill won't stand up to scrutiny and is a political stunt, that the club will get higher income streams in the future and with the Trust's donations the club can be strong. He is also hosting a Q&A night on 29 March at Panfers.

There is no denying what he states as facts in the ad are correct. However we will be much stronger under Tinkler's ownership, we will be much stronger with $2.3 Million in the Bank to repay debts that are already repaid plus another $3 Million in additional sponsorship income, and everything in Tinkler's proposal is actually guaranteed - we don't even know who the members of the Trust are, so asking us to trust them is a little hard at this time.

Alex28

Coach
Plus the guy is a Dragons fan isn't he? Can't cop that (still haven't forgotten the 92 finals series).

Joker's Wild

Coach
Seriously, what do the members of the Patrons Trust get out of "donating" the funds? A tax write off, warm fuzzy feelings or is there something less noble behind it.

I may be way off the mark but I cant help but feel there is more to the PT model than us fans and the public in general have been let in on.

cram

Bench
There is a very prominent ad on Page 6 of this mornings Herald from the Patrons Trust urging a no vote to Tinkler's takeover. In it he highlights that the club isn't really $2.3 Million in debt (which is absolutely correct), the ground repair bill won't stand up to scrutiny and is a political stunt, that the club will get higher income streams in the future and with the Trust's donations the club can be strong. He is also hosting a Q&A night on 29 March at Panfers.

There is no denying what he states as facts in the ad are correct. However we will be much stronger under Tinkler's ownership, we will be much stronger with $2.3 Million in the Bank to repay debts that are already repaid plus another $3 Million in additional sponsorship income, and everything in Tinkler's proposal is actually guaranteed - we don't even know who the members of the Trust are, so asking us to trust them is a little hard at this time.

Just what we did not need, one day I think we are getting closer to rolling this over the line the next I wonder.

cram

Bench
Despite denials, it makes Jim's assertions that someone from the PT supplied, in part the money for the original ads seem more credible.

This development, IMO gives credibility to Jim and his mates where as before I think people were thinking they were just crazy people trying to hang onto the past.

Serc

First Grade
Time to vote for common sense: Tinkler takeover Knights' only chance
BY ROBERT DILLON
23 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM

SURELY it will not even be close.
As the most momentous ballot in the history of the Newcastle Knights draws near, the overwhelming vibe has been supportive of a Nathan Tinkler takeover.
The Knights board have endorsed his privatisation proposal.
The Once A Knight Old Boys have given it their blessing.
Former players like Andrew and Matthew Johns, Paul Harragon, Mark Sargent, Steve Simpson and Tony Butterfield are all for it.
So too are Newcastle’s only premiership-winning coaches, Mal Reilly and Michael Hagan.
Prominent businessmen and former board members Mark Fitzgibbon and Garry Murphy reckon it is a no-brainer.
The founding fathers of the Knights, Leigh Maughan and Michael Hill, just wish Tinkler had been around when the club was launched 23 years ago.
And Minister for the Hunter Jodi McKay – no great fan of the Knights’ current administration – has been a vocal Tinkler advocate.
Yet despite widespread acknowledgement that a self-made billionaire can provide the financial security the Knights have craved since their inception, there are obviously still some members who doubt whether private ownership is the right direction.
Hence the full-page advertisements that appeared in this paper several times last week, and again today.
Whether the campaign, organised by a vocal minority, is gaining any momentum may not be known until the historic extraordinary general meeting on March 31.
But suffice to say that, behind the scenes, the Tinkler group are growing apprehensive. Tinkler needs a minimum of 75 per cent of members to vote in his favour.
So if slightly more than one in four vote to retain the status quo, his bid will be rejected.
It is worth remembering that in 2006, when South Sydney members voted to hand Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court control, the new owners scraped in with a 75.8 per cent majority.
A mere 32 votes decided the outcome – 2988 voting in favour of the bid and 954 against.
The Knights have an estimated 3000 voting members. The anti-Tinkler faction needs at most 750 votes – possibly fewer, depending on how many abstain.
Exactly what the naysayers are concerned about is a moot point.
Their ‘‘defend our kingdom’’ advertisements have touted the so-called ‘‘Patrons’ Trust’’ as a viable alternative to Tinkler’s deal.
The Patrons’ Trust appears more a figment of someone’s imagination than a financial lifeline.
Knights officials seem unsure whether it is a loan or a donation, and at this stage only one man, Andrew Poole, has publicly confirmed his involvement.
Apparently there are other benefactors out there willing to kick in a few million dollars, but we can only guess at their identities.
And while Tinkler has been asked to make iron-clad, legal assurances about his bona fides, it does not appear the Patrons’ Trust – whoever they may be – has been subjected to the same scrutiny.
Certainly the cash injection the Patrons’ Trust are offering – a rubbery $6thmillion to $10thmillion – is a drop in the ocean compared with what Tinkler is prepared to invest.
And, strangely, there has been no mention of the Patrons’ Trust in previous lean times, when the club needed to borrow money from Tinkler, or the Newcastle Jockey Club or the Gold Coast Chargers to pay their bills.
If the Patrons’ Trust is such an attractive alternative, why did it appear on the horizon only at the 11th hour?
Patrons’ Trust aside, the intransigents are also concerned that members will lose their ‘‘entitlements’’ if the club is privatised.
But what rights do members have anyway, apart from the right to elect a board every second year, who then proceed to operate as a secret society, releasing information when it suits?
Did the board, for instance, consult members before they hired Brian Smith, endorsed his 2007 cleanout, then ultimately sacked him?
Did the board consult members before the 2007 rebellion that forced then chairman Mike Tyler to resign?
Did the board consult members before they went cap in hand to Tinkler in 2008, asking him for a $500,000 loan to help them through a cashflow crisis?
Did the board consult members in late 2008 when they stopped paying their stadium rent because they were in dispute with the State Government?
Did the board consult members before rezoning their season-ticket options for the 2011 season?
Does the board even publish minutes of their monthly meetings?
The answer to all those questions, of course, is ‘‘no’’.
Other than voting every two years for a board who then adhere to a code of confidentiality, the only entitlement members have is to turn up at an annual general meeting, usually to whinge about such big-ticket items as the volume of the Ausgrid Stadium loudspeakers and the price of pies and beer on game day.
Traditionally only a few hundred members bother attending the AGM.
Under Tinkler, there will still be a members club.
Members will elect a board and will vote two directors on to an advisory board that Tinkler’s representatives insist will have significant input into the club’s future direction.
But the doubters ask: ‘‘What happens if Tinkler walks away after 10 years?’’
The answer to that question is surely that the Knights will be debt-free and in a far stronger financial position than they are now.
Tinkler is not in this to make money.
He won’t even break even, given that he intends to wipe the club’s $3million in accumulated losses and then direct all profits back into the club. There are no strings attached – Knights chairman Rob Tew made sure of that, and should be commended for his vigilance.
Knights members should not be viewing the March 31 ballot as a choice between a billionaire bogeyman and a priceless asset handed down from generation to generation by the Novocastrian faithful.
They should consider it an IQ test.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ler-takeover-knights-only-chance/2110906.aspx

I know the quote I've used here is is not exactly important...but when the Herald's #1 sports/footy journo writes a big article/opinion piece, with mistakes such as "If the Patrons’ Trust is such an attractive alternative, why did it appear on the horizon only at the 11th hour?" it makes me wonder how do I, not even living in the same state as the team I support, seem to know more about this whole thing?

Any thoughts on what Tinky's big announcement might be?

Bennett. Souths apparently have conceded he isn't going there and the noise from Qld is more hopeful whispers. I find it hard to see with Tinks financial clout he will say no. He could sign anyone given his draw as a coach

cram

Bench
In relation to Dillon's article where he talks about what rights members have I was thinking that earlier today when I read the PT letter from Poole. Poole sites that the club will remain owned by the members but like Dillon points out its a mute point because you have no control other then to vote for the board who then do as they please at any rate...

Matt23

Staff member
Bennett. Souths apparently have conceded he isn't going there and the noise from Qld is more hopeful whispers. I find it hard to see with Tinks financial clout he will say no. He could sign anyone given his draw as a coach

Possibly so, and for those that don't know
The Tinkler Sports Group are due to make a ‘‘significant’’ announcement this afternoon.

A statement from the TSG said the announcement would have ‘‘a major impact on Newcastle and Australian sport’’.

The announcement will be made at 4pm.

MORE TO COME
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...group-to-make-major-announcement/2111854.aspx

cram

Bench

Ok, I was wondering what you were talking about Matt....doubt it would be about Bennett, would be a bit presumptious to announce him as the coach when you don't even have control of the club and may do him more harm then good....but I am sure it will be something significant that will assist TSG in promoting themselves as good managers.

Werent they trying to get hold of some International Netball game/s or something similiar?

S.R.

Juniors
Ok, I was wondering what you were talking about Matt....doubt it would be about Bennett, would be a bit presumptious to announce him as the coach when you don't even have control of the club and may do him more harm then good....but I am sure it will be something significant that will assist TSG in promoting themselves as good managers.

Werent they trying to get hold of some International Netball game/s or something similiar?

NO chance of it being Bennett. He won't announce where he's going IF he leaves the Dragons until post season.

More likely to be an NBL Franchise than netball related.

perverse

Referee
i fail to see how an announcement on a new NBL franchise for Newcastle would have a major impact on Newcastle and Australian sport. more of a piss in an ocean of piss.

don't really know what the announcement could be if it's true to their teaser.

Burwood

Bench
I think the TSG will be announcing their vision for Newcastle sport. An amalgamation of the knights, jets, netball and basketball all run under the one umbrella. It would be the first "super club" in Australian sport I suppose??

cram

Bench
i fail to see how an announcement on a new NBL franchise for Newcastle would have a major impact on Newcastle and Australian sport. more of a piss in an ocean of piss.

don't really know what the announcement could be if it's true to their teaser.

What he said.....lol

Latest posts