What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

macavity

Referee
All I will say is I think it was a lot more likely to get 75% a month a go than it is now.

these people you know have a metaphysical link to our voting membership, do they?

my thoughts are that no-one could possibly know the outcome of a vote that is yet to even be proposed in proper. any talk is pure speculation, given we still don't know what we're voting on.

I agree completely with what you are saying pervy, tonights meeting SHOULD shed a lot more light on the subject. Personally i,m of the belief that if we knock it back then we are mad. (providing there are no more twists to this crazeeeeeeeeeee saga)

perverse

Referee
i think the members need to do what is best to secure the long term financial and on-field success of the club. if Tinkler is promising to increase our sponsorship income by 42%-ish (thats $7mill->$10mill) as has been promised time and time again, we would be stupid not to do it, regardless of how negotiations have panned out. that is the right and best outcome for the club. it's not going to all be smiles and sunshine, Tinkler would make questionable decisions, but we will have a wealthy, powerful and hopefully successful club well into the future.

if our voting membership isn't smart enough to sit down and evaluate the deal on its own merit when the time comes, then we are screwed and don't deserve nice things. the patrons trust is still on the table and isn't a terrible backup plan at all. unfortunately it means we will continue on with the current dilapidated model of getting old boys in to run the place and potentially do silly sh*t with whatever profits we do manage to attain... but we will continue on and i'll continue to support the club as i always have.

Last edited:

B-dos

Referee
anything can happen i guess

although id be amazed if the voting members could be so braindead as to knock back a once in a lifetime offer like this

i just hope whoever sells the deal tonight concentrates on the very clear and undenaible benefits and not on the one in a million possibility somethnign goes wrong

i have faith the members have it in them to get this over the line though. the general word i hear is all positive on the deal

B-dos

Referee
hmmmm

so tinkler presents yet another offer, by all reports designed to clear up any misgivings our trusty board had, and you guys think less people will support it?

i gather its out of spite to nasty tinkler or a blind allegiance to our trusty leaders (who one would expect would be punted in a flash)?

interesting

thats certainly the problem when we have to rely on 75% of the vote - the idiot factor...

roopy

Referee
I can't see it getting 75% without sweeteners, but i think Tinkler's business advisers will have a junior proposal or something up their sleeve for the meeting.

On paper, it isn't a great deal still. It is only a great deal if you think Tinkler will do all he needs to do to make the team successful.

If you were buying a house you would want everything in writing before doing the deal, and would be an idiot if you didn't get it - and I think more than 25% of our members will not sign up on a hope and a prayer, even though i would (but i haven't got a vote).

B-dos

Referee
difference being of course roopy is that we are selling the house

tinkler is buying

its bizarre how skewed this has become as the selling party calling all the shots (while i understand why this is, its quite odd the extent to whcih it has come)

i think its amusing (and worrying in this context) that as time passes people become more and more comfortable with such a sensational offer being on the table it starts to seem less and less valuable,, so comfortable in fact that we could lose this deal because some actualy think we need MORE sweeteners

thats the biggest problem here. people not understanding what is on offer now and the misguided belief that we need more and more for it to be worthwhile

macavity

Referee
hmmmm

so tinkler presents yet another offer, by all reports designed to clear up any misgivings our trusty board had, and you guys think less people will support it?

i gather its out of spite to nasty tinkler or a blind allegiance to our trusty leaders (who one would expect would be punted in a flash)?

interesting

thats certainly the problem when we have to rely on 75% of the vote - the idiot factor...

Tinkler put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths with the carry on.

This "third" deal should have been the one on the table from the start (I am assuming - haven't seen it).

Newie unfortunately has those folk that will vote against something for the sake of it just because it goes against the grain. They will see Tinkler merely as megalomaniac who wants to own a side to bolster his ego and will question his motives regardless of what is written in the proposal. That is the vote which may bring this thing down. The fella who put together the petition last week deserves a rap because he forced the issue to a point and Fitzgibbon finished the rest. If Tinkler is not present tonight it will be huge mistake on his part. I will go so far as to say it could be the deal maker or breaker.

B-dos

Referee
well the he said she said quandry is over as far as im concerned mac

depending on who people chose to believe the bad taste was no doubt shared among the two parties

and like i said, to turn down a deal like this based on petty "he tried to trick us, burro and tew said so" type rubbish would be quite a silly thing to do

Alex28

Coach
See...the thing is with decision making in an organisation like the Knights, the decision maker doesn't need any qualifications, or business experience, or to make it based on what is the best or smartest thing for the business to do. The decision makers mostly vote on emotion and that is the one thing that could f**k this whole process up.

See...the thing is with decision making in an organisation like the Knights, the decision maker doesn't need any qualifications, or business experience, or to make it based on what is the best or smartest thing for the business to do. The decision makers mostly vote on emotion and that is the one thing that could f**k this whole process up.
Exactly Alex. My point about Tinkler being potentially not present is people will see it as him either hiding or being arrogant enough to believe the deal is done. If he is there then the people get to see who they are voting for or against. A persons presence can make a massive difference. Tinks should address those present and sell the deal as a person who wants the club to succeed long term and not to treat us as a charity case. He likened us to a charity in print which was a very stupid thing to say on his part. I don't think he feels that way at heart but he is clearly frustrated with the current setup. That is where he should put his argument forward.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I can't see it getting 75% without sweeteners, but i think Tinkler's business advisers will have a junior proposal or something up their sleeve for the meeting.

On paper, it isn't a great deal still. It is only a great deal if you think Tinkler will do all he needs to do to make the team successful.

If you were buying a house you would want everything in writing before doing the deal, and would be an idiot if you didn't get it - and I think more than 25% of our members will not sign up on a hope and a prayer, even though i would (but i haven't got a vote).
how do you figure it's not a good deal? you won't find another deal on the planet that will guarentee the clubs income increases by $3mill per year. if that is, in fact, the deal, then it is a very good one and would value our club amongst the most valuable in the NRL.

an article already stated somewhere that he is chucking in a $300k sweetener for the Real NRL per year... on top of junior development commitments within the Knights own system i would assume.

the deal was always a good deal if Tinkler put it on paper. that hasn't changed in the past month or so.if the deal is right, then i hope it goes through.

i re-iterate for what seems to be the hundred billionth time in the past week or so - if the deal is as Tinkler says it is, then it is an excellent deal and should be voted through for the sake of the future prosperity of the club. if the deal is yet another furphy, then he can stick it in his tremendous, gaping arsehole. i don't see how anyone could say that a deal that should see the knights roughly $32.5 million dollars better off over the next 10 years is a bad one - and yes... these are the true maths of the deal, not fake figures. that is exactly what he has promised in concept. it's a great deal. Souths went for 1/10th of that. the Titans 1/2 of that.

if the board supports this deal, things are as they should be on paper, and the members don't pass it, i will be extremely disappointed.

Last edited:
I personally believe Tinkler has got his heart in the right place and will be very sad to see this deal not passed through because we can be elite for the first time in our existence on every level, and not just talent wise. From the bottom up to the top. A world class organisation which will put our Great City where it should be. That said if it is a bad deal then we have to say no.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
So...I wonder what the publishing of this is going to do to things...

It appears we have until tonight to sign or it is all off (again).

Alex28

Coach
I have to say the different between the initial offer (Explanatory Note 3.1) and the latest offer (Explanatory Note 4.1) are poles apart and the board needs to be commended for not caving in and giving away the club. The inclusion of a Bank Guarantee is a pretty impressive improvement and guarantees access to funds.

We must accept this offer.

Frederick

Staff member
I think at least 80% of the voting members have a collective IQ of 75 and will still vote yes because they think the club is getting $100 million

Latest posts