What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans sign a fullback

taxidriver

Coach
The Gold Coast Titans have signed England fullback Richie Mathers to a two-year NRL deal following six months of negotiations.
The 22-year-old Leeds player requires a knee reconstruction but is expected to be fit to start training with the NRL's new franchise in November.
Mathers will join Great Britain winger Brian Carney as the Titans' second player recruited from the English Super League.
Carney has been in tremendous form for Newcastle during his one-year stint before he heads to south-east Queensland.
Gold Coast coach John Cartwright and chief executive Michael Searle have been monitoring Mathers' form at Leeds since June last year.
Cartwright said Mathers was a naturally talented footballer who could cover several positions for the Titans.
"He has risen through the ranks at Leeds and has been consistently one of their best," added Cartwright.
"We are not signing and hoping he's a great footballer. We've signed him as a very capable first grader. He knows his way to the tryline and he will be good for us."
The Titans' roster also includes Australian internationals Scott Prince and Luke Bailey and Penrith's livewire five-eighth Preston Campbell.
"I am hugely honoured to be given an opportunity that very few British players get and I am looking forward to getting out there and being part of making the Gold Coast Titans a success," Mathers said in a club statement.
Searle said the club's medical team would monitor Mathers' surgery and rehabilitation program over coming months to ensure he's ready for the Gold Coast's inaugural season.
The off-contract Mathers injured his knee in Leeds' 44-28 loss to Hull earlier this month.
The Titans recently withdrew an offer to Great Britain winger Chev Walker.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Titans-sign-UK-fullback-Mathers-to-NRL/2006/05/23/1148150241839.html

Steel Dragon

Bench
Does anyone rate this guy?
I dont follow the ESL so I have no idea.

I hope these guys heading up to the Gold Coast are serious and arent planning pre-retirement like the Gold Coast teams of yesteryear.

aids

Bench
he umm'd and ahhh'd
then blew his knee out and signed for the titans

apart from lafranchi and presto, as they planning on using any local juniors?
maybe they can make a big money play to get covell up there

Iafeta

Referee
Hopefully we can strike Gold Coast off the 'we want Webb' list, shortens his odds somewhat of staying in Auckland given there was a bit of talk about him pursuing the Gold Coast option after June 30.

LESStar58

Referee
Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
I thought they signed Richie about 6 months ago? :S

He's been linked to the Titans for quite some time but only just signed now obviously!

from what I hear he's a good young player...represented England A and is on the verge of GB selection.

JK

Strong arguments that he should have made the GB side.

'Buying back the farm' shouldn't cost the earth. I am happy with a bit of variety in their signings. Raiding the Qld Cup to fill other spots should be easy enough in the next few months.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Gee at only 22 he could be anything. Ive seen him play he's a good defensive fullback, hasnt seen much of him in attack. Gold Coast are doing well with these signings.

Aids, they signed O'Dwyer who's a local junior. I reckon theyre bound to a sign a few more.

LESStar58

Referee
I agree with JK...they have the key positions covered with Campbell, Prince and nathan Friend at hooker has just been aching to get a shot at a permanent first grade spot! I for one will be sad to see him leave the Storm!

Mathers at full back and the other 3 positions needed to field a team capable of making a run for the top 8 are signed up! Add the likes of Carney, Bailey, LAFranchi etc and its easy to fill the outstanding possies! Maybe Cartwright is gonna be a Craig Bellamy type coach who can take fringe players and make em sperstars. Time will tell!

nadera78

Juniors
Ive always liked Mathers, he's a good full back. You won't see him run past half a dozen players on kick return to score a wonder try, but he's good positionally, understands a full backs role and knows the basics.

And he has good pace. He is usually to be found supporting guys who make a break, and that's how he scores most of his tries. The reason he hasn't made the step up to GB is that Brian Noble is in love with certain players and picks them regardless of form. Paul Wellens (like Radlinski before him) would be picked for GB if both legs had rotted and fallen.

Be interesting to see how he goes over there, and also if his knee affects his game in the future.

ali

Bench
I rate Mathers. I would have picked him ahead of all the other canditates for the GB number 1 jersey. He'll be a big loss for Leeds.

My only worry would be the knee reco. A lot of outside backs have gone off the boil after a reco, namely Russell Richardson and Paul Franze, one who played for Australia the other looked like he was on his way to being anything.

Pigskin

Juniors
another geniused decision by the Titans imho

should have signed Steve Turner for half the price ... perhaps they still will, but he'll be playing out of position

Oink !

Red Bear

Referee
Davester said:
Thought Gold Coast were "buying back the farm" ...meh! not that it matters to me
Not much of a farm in the first place.
Now the central coast on the other hand...

Bullseye

Juniors
He's a big loss to Leeds and is without doubt the best attacking fullback in the SL.

He was poor in defence a couple of years back but has steadily improved. Has good hands, a good positional sense and is quick and elusive. He played at Stand off in his junior days so links up well with other players.

He'll be real bonues to the Gold Coast team. At 22 he's shown a lot of guts to take the plunge and go to the NRL when he could've made more money and taken the easy option to stay in SL.

Latest posts