What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TLT vs. Raiders

Big Bloke

Juniors
Bruyeres, Page, Holman, Danzey, Cook, Donnie McDonald

Real refs from the 70s. We knew their names but they were almost anonymous. No one ever knew a touchies name. Got no press. No fanfare. Just reffed games.
Yep. I used to watch games when I was younger with those refs. But you have to remember back then, there were quality journos actually reporting on the game rather than the gossip that goes on these days. Guys like Alan Clarkson, Ray Chesterton, Ernie Christensen etc. So the hype on referees wasn't that bad.

But if I do remember correctly, there was one change they made that seems contradictory and I think it had to do with Hartley. The refs in those days would be the first ones out on the field and if Hartley was in control, he'd do this big long whistle and jump out of the tunnel in a very theatrical way drawing attention to himself.

I think the NSWRL at the time put a stop to it and had the teams come out before the ref. That is the way it is done today.

Another change from the past that no one has ever been able to tell me why it happened is that the home team always came out first, just after the ref. At some point, it was changed to the away team coming out as it is today.

No one has been able to explain to me why that change was made and when it happened.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Yep. I used to watch games when I was younger with those refs. But you have to remember back then, there were quality journos actually reporting on the game rather than the gossip that goes on these days. Guys like Alan Clarkson, Ray Chesterton, Ernie Christensen etc. So the hype on referees wasn't that bad.

But if I do remember correctly, there was one change they made that seems contradictory and I think it had to do with Hartley. The refs in those days would be the first ones out on the field and if Hartley was in control, he'd do this big long whistle and jump out of the tunnel in a very theatrical way drawing attention to himself.

I think the NSWRL at the time put a stop to it and had the teams come out before the ref. That is the way it is done today.

Another change from the past that no one has ever been able to tell me why it happened is that the home team always came out first, just after the ref. At some point, it was changed to the away team coming out as it is today.

No one has been able to explain to me why that change was made and when it happened.
Was that the rule that introduced the need to be able to count?

Frenzy.

Immortal

Yep that's so true. Reporters who were reporters on the game not mutli media commentators on mult media platforms looking for gossip and "scoops". Not to mention outright lying to try and get bites and information.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Boyhood memories of those old over weight touchies sprinting out from behind the goal posts after a conversion. Their beerguts bouncing as the crowds went into raptures, egging the pricks as they made their way along the sideline.
I read that as 'edging the pricks' initially and thought "I don't remember that"

Frenzy.

Immortal
Interesting referee stats

Winning percentages under some of those mentioned prior in this thread

Hartley - 56%
Checchin - 53%
Hayne - 38%

Quigs
I knew him away from the game lovely guy.
And his wife holy hell I don't know how he landed her, she had to be 15 years younger looked amazing.
Most likely ... Partner in crime , or gold digger. Yeah I know ... shouldn't be judgemental about peoples personal lives. I accept could be 100% wrong .... But it seems to be a common story.

Quigs

Immortal
I think we are all lucky that those days didn't involve the mass online gambling that we see now associated with the league.

Gee there could of been some windows of opportunity for those that thought that there could be something in it for them.

Shit some even had trouble counting to six or was that seven.