What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To all forum users (outside merged clubs biased twats)

oh and for the records im refering to st choke merge, and the handful of manly merge fans that are butt hurt about des.

I wouldn't be worried about supporters of those Clubs.

I think they'll be very quiet fans next year.

Wait and see.

The brains trust has left those two Clubs (well Des in 2013 but watch this space for 2012 as Manly impodes).

It will be great to watch shyte sinking again.

hitman82

Bench
see i belive that baggy shorts would actually see an increase in sponsorship revenue..

in the first instance, we now have a greater surface area from which to sell advertising. now instead of just having short front, and short back sponsors, on the front we can now have left & right top + bottom, as well as the back left right top bottom etc.. effectively quadrupling the sponsorship..

plus, with less nathan hindmarsh incidents, league could appeal to a younger demographic without risk of scarring them..

of course, the baggy shorts may actually mean a slower game due to players getting pulled down.

what could this slower game mean to pay tv audiences and crowd figures?
Upon first consideration the pace of NRL games becoming slower, due to the "parachute" effect larger shorts would have, could seem to be a negative outcome. However, the slower the player is moving, the more legible the sponsorship logos become.
Take for example: a 6 or 7 has just broken through an attempted elbow strike from "big" Dave Taylor, and is streaking away downfield. Under the larger shorts scenario, the ball carrier and every chasing defender, will be moving at a far slower pace - allowing up to 30 seconds for a full length of the field try.
This is an absolute goldmine of sponsorship exposure. Of course some players, such as Greg Inglis, are simply not fit or motivated enough to keep up with the cameras as they trail the ball carrier, but the extra short area will allow far larger advertisements to be attached, so that you will still see the sponsor's logos in the background.
The only negative effect this could have is the possibility of optical illusions, leading to confusion and possibly anger and subsequently domestic violence among some viewers, such as ex-Tigers players. However older viewers, such as Popeye, will gain an additional benefit from this reduced pace of play as their ageing retinas will be able to process the action far more efficiently, rather than incurring a lag effect which could leave them sitting on the couch for up to 10 minutes after the game has finished - waiting for their brains to catch up with their eyes. This will lead to an increase of quality time spent with their grandchildren, furthering the image of rugby league as the "family game" and make better use of our elderly statesmen, rather than having them simply rotting away in the lounge chewing up pension dollars. The social and economic impact of these changes could be immense - big financial news immense.
Clearly there are more positives than negatives to be drawn from the reversal to old school baggy shorts, perhaps further consideration should also be given to including baggy cotton shirts, with collars, in the wardrobe of our modern rugby league athletes. Moustaches are another fashion and sponsorship item worth consideration.
In short, this is a great thread.

DoggiesBro

Juniors

Wait and see.

The brains trust has left those two Clubs (well Des in 2013 but watch this space for 2012 as Manly impodes).

And the first club already is very quiet except for the bitter fans. Can't blame them though prem shirts that were a year early, followed by a title followed by a year of minor prems paid out to be a nothing threat. Back to the usual for them i think.

Hutty1986

Immortal

Wait and see.

:lol: Sad little Scummulla supporter trying to get their two cents in before another year of failure for their poor excuse for a footy club. You and BunniesBro would get along well-discussing mediocrity and having NFI about well.. anything.

Jono1987

Juniors
And the first club already is very quiet except for the bitter fans. Can't blame them though prem shirts that were a year early, followed by a title followed by a year of minor prems paid out to be a nothing threat. Back to the usual for them i think.

So what you're saying is, we will fall to or around the same level as Canterbury. Revoke my Red V membership and give '12 a miss you think?

TheDalek079

Bench
061113-big-hats.png

Stagger Lee

Bench
Upon first consideration the pace of NRL games becoming slower, due to the "parachute" effect larger shorts would have, could seem to be a negative outcome. However, the slower the player is moving, the more legible the sponsorship logos become.
Take for example: a 6 or 7 has just broken through an attempted elbow strike from "big" Dave Taylor, and is streaking away downfield. Under the larger shorts scenario, the ball carrier and every chasing defender, will be moving at a far slower pace - allowing up to 30 seconds for a full length of the field try.
This is an absolute goldmine of sponsorship exposure. Of course some players, such as Greg Inglis, are simply not fit or motivated enough to keep up with the cameras as they trail the ball carrier, but the extra short area will allow far larger advertisements to be attached, so that you will still see the sponsor's logos in the background.
The only negative effect this could have is the possibility of optical illusions, leading to confusion and possibly anger and subsequently domestic violence among some viewers, such as ex-Tigers players. However older viewers, such as Popeye, will gain an additional benefit from this reduced pace of play as their ageing retinas will be able to process the action far more efficiently, rather than incurring a lag effect which could leave them sitting on the couch for up to 10 minutes after the game has finished - waiting for their brains to catch up with their eyes. This will lead to an increase of quality time spent with their grandchildren, furthering the image of rugby league as the "family game" and make better use of our elderly statesmen, rather than having them simply rotting away in the lounge chewing up pension dollars. The social and economic impact of these changes could be immense - big financial news immense.
Clearly there are more positives than negatives to be drawn from the reversal to old school baggy shorts, perhaps further consideration should also be given to including baggy cotton shirts, with collars, in the wardrobe of our modern rugby league athletes. Moustaches are another fashion and sponsorship item worth consideration.
In short, this is a great thread.

Friggen awesome post :lol: :crazy: :D

Moustaches making a comeback for the attention seeking players in 2012 ... you heard it hear first :cool:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Wait and see.

I'll be watching the GF DVD during our inevitable (apparently) slide into oblivion.

What you gonna be watchin?

fred95

Juniors
I'd just like to say i joined this forum because it looked pretty good at the time. It has got alot of good posters who are pretty good to discuss footy with. I just want to say that i appoligise for my part in the sh1t going on here lately, there are a group of merged teams fans (not tigers) who just keep talking shit and going out of their way to try and bag the dogs and myself even if it is just out and out biased dribble.

I will be the bigger man and place them on ignore from now for the good of the forum and to save wasting my life like they want too. I look forward to discussing footy with the ones that aren't idiots.

:)
Only way to go bro.

MSIH

Bench
I'll be watching the GF DVD during our inevitable (apparently) slide into oblivion.

What you gonna be watchin?

Yeah, I might have a Manly premiership marathon while my club impodes. Whatever that means.

Lol at Sharks fans.

Rexxy

Coach
they're white, they're blue, fans are arabs but the boss is a jew... Merkinbury, Merkinbury.

MSIH

Bench
They're blue, they're white, they think pack rape's alright, merkinbury, merkinbury

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
in all seriousness, i'm not a big fan of rape jokes, and i'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks they are in bad taste.

we can easily poke fun at the bulldogs without making fun of rape can't we?

Latest posts