What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To all the people who are defending the Melbourne Storm

Dragon

Coach
And its players and coaches from other Clubs who are saying it.

Only complaints ive heard is from 'commentators' who think storm should be docked 8 points and allowed to play for points. Well that would put them 6 points out of the 8 and still with an illegal roster. Yeah really well thought out plan that, cant foresee any legal implications...

But hey what do i know? Pearce, Tallis, 'Wiz', and that fox sports nuffie are real thinkers. Then there's Gus and Wok who dont have any agendas or grudges right? RIIIIGHT.

Matter of fact the only people who i agree with are Hadley and co, which leaves me scratching my head tbh

Last edited:

Garts

Bench
Simple. Let us get under the cap, start us on minus 10 and let us compete. I doubt we would even make the finals but it's better then nothing at all. At least at the end of the season we can say we got to where we finished legally, and had to do it the bloody hard way.

That would be nearly impossible. Contracts start being paid in November, so they have been paid for 50% already. Cutting out $700k now would be damn difficult, players such and Inglis and Slater would need to be cut to save that cash at this point.

Springs

First Grade
Look at tonight. An illegally assembled side took two points off the Warriors and 34 points in the for and against differential. Now how the hell is letting an illegal side disadvantage other teams in the comp, especially those that they play twice, better than cutting the Storms roster, cutting their points until they are under the cap and letting them play on. They will be a team with a bunch of U20s and Reserves, on 0 points from Round 10 or so, legally competing with the other clubs. Letting Melbourne play on illegally for no points is just punishing players and fans of all clubs.

And even next year, on the Footy Show Gallop said they cannot just take paycuts because the roster is illegally assembled. Now if they all decide to take paycuts like the Bulldogs in 2003, then aren't they still an illegally assembled side and letting them play next year would be hypocritical of Gallop and Co. I agree with Gould, Sterling, Voss, Johns, Johns, MG, Pearce, Alexander, Ryan, etc etc

cupid

Juniors
Don't punish the fans and innocent players, Let Mebourne keep their premierships, record salary breaches in the record books, pay back the fines, have a handicap system, start at -20 points for the next 4 years.
What a ludicrous idea, that would surely kill Melbourne for sure.

thorson1987

Coach
And also to get under the cap we have to release players, which means we have to pay out there contracts, which in turn would allow other clubs to get them on the cheap.

thorson1987

Coach
That would be nearly impossible. Contracts start being paid in November, so they have been paid for 50% already. Cutting out $700k now would be damn difficult, players such and Inglis and Slater would need to be cut to save that cash at this point.

But if we release them we still have to pay out there contracts anyway. So no matter what we lose a sh*tload of money.

Fui!!!

Juniors
Simple. Let us get under the cap, start us on minus 10 and let us compete. I doubt we would even make the finals but it's better then nothing at all. At least at the end of the season we can say we got to where we finished legally, and had to do it the bloody hard way.

Which players would you get rid of?

And who would have to tell them that they can no longer play Rugby League this season?

cupid

Juniors
Anyone blaming this on the NRL are absolute f**kwits, Melbourne have brought this on themselves, they have cheated many other teams of success and have literally ruined the last 5 years of NRL history, they need to pay for the repercussions no matter how harsh they are.

Melbourne aren't the victims here, the NRL and the other 15 teams are.

elbusto

Coach
Only complaints ive heard is from 'commentators' who think storm should be docked 8 points and allowed to play for points. Well that would put them 6 points out of the 8 and still with an illegal roster. Yeah really well thought out plan that, cant foresee any legal implications...

But hey what do i know? Pearce, Tallis, 'Wiz', and that fox sports nuffie are real thinkers. Then there's Gus and Wok who dont have any agendas or grudges right? RIIIIGHT.

Matter of fact the only people who i agree with are Hadley and co, which leaves me scratching my head tbh
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp.../story-e6frexnr-1225857778294?from=public_rss

THE NRL has been accused of acting too hastily and ripping the heart out of the 2010 premiership by kicking Melbourne Storm out of the competition. Pressure was mounting on chief executive David Gallop last night from all areas of the game - including broadcasters Channel Nine - to consider hearing an appeal from the Storm if the disgraced club can offload $700,000 worth of players.
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal senior players, including Origin stars Anthony Watmough, Johnathan Thurston and Kurt Gidley, support Melbourne being allowed to compete for points this year if they can release players and get under the cap.
As emotional Storm coach Craig Bellamy said they would "stand and fight" and "not surrender", his beleaguered club won support from across the game.
Nine boss David Gyngell has been in contact with Gallop every day, urging him to allow the Storm to restart the premiership from zero points.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The plan to reinstate Melbourne would work like this:
* Taking $700,000 out of their salary cap to bring the club back to what other clubs are spending;
* Pay out the contracts of three players for the remainder of the season;
* Using Brett White, Ryan Hoffman and Luke MacDougall as examples, you place them into a draft where all clubs can bid for their services. Because they are already paid by the Storm for 2010, rival NRL clubs would be invited to sign them for 2010 and for the next two years;
* Putting the Storm back to zero but allowing them to compete for competition points for the remainder of the season;
* Clubs that have already played the Storm in the opening six rounds would be given the two competition points.
NSW Origin captain Gidley says he would support the idea.
"The concept makes sense so that the week-in, week-out contests are all viable," Gidley said. "If they can get under the cap, then it would be a level playing field, so why not?"
Watmough agreed: "If they can get under the cap then I can't see why they should not be allowed to start from zero points at that time."
"Absolutely," said Thurston, "because this is not the fault of the players and they need something to play for. It is the right thing to do because most of the players are innocent of this and they need to be playing for points."
Souths star John Sutton also supported the idea of not making the Storm lame ducks for the rest of the season.
"The competition won't be the same without them," Sutton said. "They have been the benchmark team for so long. If they can somehow get under the cap, then I don't have a problem with it.
"We would like to play them and beat them knowing they are playing for something."
Even Sharks coach Ricky Stuart, who could finish with the wooden spoon if Melbourne are allowed points, gave conditional support to having them back.
"I think the game has to make a decision on how it affects the great progress rugby league has already made in Melbourne," Stuart said last night.
"I'd be very open to having Storm involved in the competition if there is a fair and reasonable way it can be done."

Dragon

Coach
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal senior players, including Origin stars Anthony Watmough, Johnathan Thurston and Kurt Gidley

Wow some real legal eagles in that bunch. Try again

*edit* P.S collingwood v Essendon got 90k. Melbourne 'rallied' behind scum storm and got 24 k...

Last edited:

Fui!!!

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp.../story-e6frexnr-1225857778294?from=public_rss

THE NRL has been accused of acting too hastily and ripping the heart out of the 2010 premiership by kicking Melbourne Storm out of the competition. Pressure was mounting on chief executive David Gallop last night from all areas of the game - including broadcasters Channel Nine - to consider hearing an appeal from the Storm if the disgraced club can offload $700,000 worth of players.
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal senior players, including Origin stars Anthony Watmough, Johnathan Thurston and Kurt Gidley, support Melbourne being allowed to compete for points this year if they can release players and get under the cap.
As emotional Storm coach Craig Bellamy said they would "stand and fight" and "not surrender", his beleaguered club won support from across the game.
Nine boss David Gyngell has been in contact with Gallop every day, urging him to allow the Storm to restart the premiership from zero points.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The plan to reinstate Melbourne would work like this:
* Taking $700,000 out of their salary cap to bring the club back to what other clubs are spending;
* Pay out the contracts of three players for the remainder of the season;
* Using Brett White, Ryan Hoffman and Luke MacDougall as examples, you place them into a draft where all clubs can bid for their services. Because they are already paid by the Storm for 2010, rival NRL clubs would be invited to sign them for 2010 and for the next two years;
* Putting the Storm back to zero but allowing them to compete for competition points for the remainder of the season;
* Clubs that have already played the Storm in the opening six rounds would be given the two competition points.
NSW Origin captain Gidley says he would support the idea.
"The concept makes sense so that the week-in, week-out contests are all viable," Gidley said. "If they can get under the cap, then it would be a level playing field, so why not?"
Watmough agreed: "If they can get under the cap then I can't see why they should not be allowed to start from zero points at that time."
"Absolutely," said Thurston, "because this is not the fault of the players and they need something to play for. It is the right thing to do because most of the players are innocent of this and they need to be playing for points."
Souths star John Sutton also supported the idea of not making the Storm lame ducks for the rest of the season.
"The competition won't be the same without them," Sutton said. "They have been the benchmark team for so long. If they can somehow get under the cap, then I don't have a problem with it.
"We would like to play them and beat them knowing they are playing for something."
Even Sharks coach Ricky Stuart, who could finish with the wooden spoon if Melbourne are allowed points, gave conditional support to having them back.
"I think the game has to make a decision on how it affects the great progress rugby league has already made in Melbourne," Stuart said last night.
"I'd be very open to having Storm involved in the competition if there is a fair and reasonable way it can be done."

You have serious problems if you are quoting a Phil Rothfield article to back up your argument. :lol:

Let's say they release players to get themselves under the cap. Let's just say they released Slater, among others. How many other clubs will afford Slater under their cap now? None. We'll lose him to England/Rugby. Same thing could happen with GI, Smith, Cronk or any other big name player at their club.

big_matt

Juniors
So mr gyngill wants us to be able to play for points. Is this the same guy who's station absolutely refuses to show a storm game in vic before midnight? These fools amaze me.

Wow, there are so many agendas being pushed by the defenders of the Storm.

1. Gould and players/ex-players - players are always innocent and can never be held accountable for their actions off the field
  2. Also, this is all the work of Brian Waldron and a couple of other bad apples - punish them not the players
  3. Not to mention the desire to get rid of the salary cap so his club can buy premierships without any barriers, and the elite players so they can get as much as they possibly can
  4. Gyngell and Ch 9 are worried that they will lose a competitive game each round which could compromise the value of their broadcasts
  5. Gyngell also wants 3 above
  6. News wants to pin all the blame on Waldron and a few of his mates - to protect their investment in the Storm and salvage what they can out of it

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Let's say they release players to get themselves under the cap. Let's just say they released Slater, among others. How many other clubs will afford Slater under their cap now? None. We'll lose him to England/Rugby. Same thing could happen with GI, Smith, Cronk or any other big name player at their club.

Well, one suggestion that has been thrown around, is that the Storm choose which players they are to get rid of, pay them out and the rest of the clubs can bid on those released players for the rest of the year and also be able to offer them contracts for following years.

Essentially the clubs that win their bidded players would be getting a free player for this year.

I for one dont see the issue with that suggestion really.

And seeing as Parramatta have been knocked out by Melbourne the last 3 times we have been in the finals series, we deserve the first pick. Cameron Smith or Cooper Cronk please.

little_aza

Juniors
Well, one suggestion that has been thrown around, is that the Storm choose which players they are to get rid of, pay them out and the rest of the clubs can bid on those released players for the rest of the year and also be able to offer them contracts for following years.

Essentially the clubs that win their bidded players would be getting a free player for this year.

I for one dont see the issue with that suggestion

That would be a far more effective solution. It wouldn't screw up the competition for 2010 as much. And at least others can benefit out of it.

And seeing as Parramatta have been knocked out by Melbourne the last 3 times we have been in the finals series, we deserve the first pick. Cameron Smith or Cooper Cronk please.
Loving the use of colour! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

mickdo

Coach

I for one dont see the issue with that suggestion really.

So because the Storm broke the rules intended to create an even competition, a few other clubs that can bid more than the rest get to gain an 'extra' player. Yeah, that makes sense... :sarcasm: