What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To the Saints and Parra supporters....

Parra_Eels

Bench
im goin next week and im actually damn looking forward to the gf. i've just gotta move on from yesterday and look forward to what looks to be a damn exciting match.

Zeb

Juniors
Lets all make the argument:

Parramatta had the week off,

Parramatta lost after having the week off,

Therefore: All teams that have a week off lose the next week.

Nevermind all the teams in previous years that won after a week off, Penrith, Roosters, Warriors, Parramatta 2001.....etc

If the week off was such a problem for the eels and the dragons why didn't they just lose the first week? But i guess in this case, the fans would just try and find another excuse for not turning up to play and expecting they had to just lift their pinky to beat the cowboys/tigers.

SpaceMonkey said:
Grand Finalists for the last 5 years:

2004 Grand Final: Teams 1 & 2
2003 Grand Final: Teams 1 & 2
2002 Grand Final: Teams 1 & 4
2001 Grand Final: Teams 1 & 3
2000 Grand Final: Teams 1 & 2

Almost every one of those teams had a week off. Doesn't look like much of a disavantage to me.

Thats right .

This year (The year of Upsets) continues :D

number8

Juniors
I'm an Eels man & as dissapointed as I am. I think the GF will be a cracker. Both teams showed they are a good shot & deserved Grand Finalists. We lost & are out of it along with the other 13 teams now.

But unless you are a supporter of the Eels, Dragons, or either of the two Grand Finalists you have no right to gloat. Your 11 clubs dropped away before ours.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Suck sh*t, chokers.

You knew the drill, you knew the format beforehand...if you were that concerned about it you should have thrown a couple of matches to finish 3rd or 4th.

The better team won...a week off does not account for a 19/40 completion rate.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Im disappointing, Im not blaming the week off, Im not blaming the Mcintyre system, Im blaming the players and coach for not turning up with the right attitude. I wasnt feeling confident, I wasnt talking about GF's cause yesterday was an important game. All preliminary finals are important and tough, no matter who you play. Forget about blaming referees, finals systems, week off, you've just got to turn up and play SEMI FINAL FOOTBALL.

Phil Gould came up with the excuse for Dragons losing, "theyve had a week off, oh theyre not used to it". :roll: Wonder what he said about Parramatta yesterday, was he in commentary?

PantherKing

Juniors
All teams should be used to a week off, everyone gets 2 byes throughout the season..... does the team coming off the bye always lose? I dont think so.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Big Mick © said:
It would be heaps more exciting than Dragons v Parra where you would see one team crack under pressure while the other runs away with it.

Agree with everything you say BIg Mick except that.. It would have been 2 teams cracking under pressure..

lockyno1

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
Im disappointing, Im not blaming the week off, Im not blaming the Mcintyre system, Im blaming the players and coach for not turning up with the right attitude.

Well done mate. At least you show a good attitude in defeat. Congrats.

gallagher

Juniors
Parra just had to beat manly and the cowboys to get in and Saints only had the sharks and the tigers.

Neither team had to play a heavyweight at all and still didnt get close. How the hell does the finals system even come into it?

But i'm not calling them chokers, theyre just not as good as the media make them out to be.

The Panthers have won a Grand Final after the weeks break...and lost a Prelim final after the weeks break.

The weeks break is a GREAT advantage. Teams 1 and 2 get a great advantage under this system...but they have to earn it.

I think some people forget that you dont just get handed the title because you feel you deserve it.

gallagher

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
I think some people forget that you dont just get handed the title because you feel you deserve it.

The thing is, is that both sets of supporters know deep down that a premiership isnt coming in the next few years. Cant blame the players though, theyre greats.

Lets blame the finals system.

I honestly believe that any NRL team in the comp would have beaten the Dragons and Eels this weekend they played so poorly.

The Tigers did not play that well - even Tim Sheens agreed that the only thing that saved the tigers was the Dragons poor performance.

The Cowboys did play very well.

The finals system is not to blame. or the week off. More the complacency of the top 2 teams and the wrong attitude they adopted to the game.

I do think they need to adopt the AFL finals system to provide better games during the finals series and more home games.

PARRA_FAN said:
Im disappointing, Im not blaming the week off, Im not blaming the Mcintyre system, Im blaming the players and coach for not turning up with the right attitude. I wasnt feeling confident, I wasnt talking about GF's cause yesterday was an important game. All preliminary finals are important and tough, no matter who you play. Forget about blaming referees, finals systems, week off, you've just got to turn up and play SEMI FINAL FOOTBALL.

Honour in defeat. Losing is a bitter pill to swallow at this end of the comp, and especially they way that the Dragons and Eels did it. Its too easy to point the fingers elsewhere, and I applaud your downright honesty in such a harsh time.

In regard to my mob, they just could not put it together. It was a worrying trend up from round 24 onward. I think the attitude was right on Saturday night but the cohesion was way off. The fundamentals of the game were forgotten in favour of trying to razzle & dazzle their way to a win. This was successful for them from midseason to rd 24, but after that we started to lose our way.

At 16-6 down I thought we were still well in it. All we had to do was hold the ball and get some field position and we would have a good chance. We got to see more ball in the 2nd half but the timing was still shocking. Additionally, the Tigers defence stifled our attack. The Tigers defence has been much maligned up until the semis, but in the last three games it has had no peer.

As for Parra, it was disappointing to see a side play like that after such a successful season. But rather than go into what they actually did wrong, I picked up on some worrying concerns in an interview with Brian Smith on ch9 just before kick off.

He was asked question along the lines of..."You are a somewhat nervous coach by your own admission, how are you feeling at the moment??" His answer was (again along the lines of..) "yes, I'm a bit nervous, as you would be leading into a semi final like this".

Of course its only natural that a coach, players, management etc would all be a bit nervous leading into a semi final, but for a coach to openly admit he is nervous at such an important time like this can only harm his sides chances, and increase the tension. If you are a leader of men (as a coach should be) - you have to breed and promote a sense of confidence throughout your team. Admitting nerves can only serve to unsettle your men. It would not have been the only reason for their performance yesterday, but in hindsight it was a haunting interview.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
Admitting nerves can only serve to unsettle your men. It would not have been the only reason for their performance yesterday, but in hindsight it was a haunting interview.

he should talk to wayne bennett a bit more in terms of learning how and when to talk to the media

Slappy

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
I honestly believe that any NRL team in the comp would have beaten the Dragons and Eels this weekend they played so poorly.

The Tigers did not play that well - even Tim Sheens agreed that the only thing that saved the tigers was the Dragons poor performance.

The Cowboys did play very well.

The finals system is not to blame. or the week off. More the complacency of the top 2 teams and the wrong attitude they adopted to the game.

I do think they need to adopt the AFL finals system to provide better games during the finals series and more home games.

bullsh*t, Sheens never said that!

wolverine

Juniors
I think that the Tigers and Cowboys have alot to be proud of. Sometimes expectations can bear a great weight on a team and it showed with the Dragons and Eels. Although the Tigers and Cowboys played well the Eels and Dragons were both out of sorts. Very interesting grand final coming up!