What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney caught Drink Driving!!

God-King Dean

Immortal
Should he go to jail? I dont think weekend detention (similar set up to Wes Naquima) would be harsh for a repeat offender like him.

That's an excellent point.

Naiqama was a repeat offender, but his was for driving without a licence, and wasn't endangering anyone.

Todd Carney has repeated offences for drink driving (and a great many other things), yet he's never seen gaol time?

Eels Dude

Coach
Are you trying to say that speeding is just a serious as driving while intoxicated?

Just thought I'd clarify as I would disagree and obviously so does the law.

No. Giggity giggity brought up the point that if someone was a serial offender at speeding then they shouldn't be defended either. But we don't see people crucifying drivers that recieve multiple speeding fines, which could probably be half the NRL players that hold drivers licences for all we know.

Wes Naquima's record is worse than Carney's hence why he deserved periodic detention. David Shillington has been convicted twice of DUI but he gets treated as one of the good guys in the NRL by the media. So go figure.

Apey

Staff member
i do love all these if's
if he was in america, if he was a fully licensed driver, if he was 25, if he was a green p, if he only had a few beers, if he wasnt used to drinking, ffs :lol:

facts are, he is in australia, he is a p plater and he is so because he lost his license due to alcohol related issues, he isnt over 25, his limit is zero, it isnt 0.05 or 0.08, he knows this, every p plater in the country knows this. the reason these laws exist is because its proven people on their p's lack ideal judgement and are more of a danger to themselves and others as they are inexperienced or in todd's case, a complete f**king tool who has shown a complete disregard for the law

Forget the if's and buts, and for gods sakes rooster fans, please stop embarrassing yourself by trying to pretend this is an isolated incident. He has form and yet again the man has shown he lacks the intelligence, and judgement to be afforded the ability to drive...

Should he ever be given the right to drive again? Not imo, 10 year ban for a serial offender for drink driving, too soft imo. Ban him for life, and that goes for any serial drink driving offender. If you cant handle the responsibility of driving, you should be strip of the ability to do so.
Should he go to jail? I dont think weekend detention (similar set up to Wes Naquima) would be harsh for a repeat offender like him.
Should he be sacked? No, not yet, but surely his career is hanging by a thread
Should he be suspended? if gallop is true to current form, he should be on the sidelines from 4-6 weeks and told in no uncertain terms, one more drinking

agreed for the most part

don't reckon it's worth the NRL doing anything tbh

get rid of his licence though, preferably for a very, very long time, if not permanently

Eels Dude

Coach

Naiqama was a repeat offender, but his was for driving without a licence, and wasn't endangering anyone.

Todd Carney has repeated offences for drink driving (and a great many other things), yet he's never seen gaol time?

How wasn't Naiqama endangering anyone?

In order for his licence to be disqualified by a court in the first place he must have committed an act which deemed him to be an unsafe driver and thus dangerous to other drivers using the road, hence why his licence was disqualified.

To further on from that. He was convicted not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times of driving while disqualified. Driving with a disqualified licence is a criminal offence just like drink driving is. And he has four convictions in that offence.

God-King Dean

Immortal
While that's a fair call he got it disqualified for a reason, in his repeat offences no one has said he was speeding or DUI.

Carney has been DUI 3 times IIRC. Why doesn't he get weekend detention? Is 4 the magic number?

Raider_69

Post Whore
interesting... 4 offenses you say

i believe from memory and i could be wrong as my memory generally sucks, but this makes the 4th for toddy too... 3 of which are alcohol related... pending weather you believe todd was over the limit when he ran from the coppers only to turn himself in the following day, maybe all 4.

blake1979

Juniors
Are you trying to say that speeding is just a serious as driving while intoxicated?

Just thought I'd clarify as I would disagree and obviously so does the law.

I would say without doubt doing 50kms over the speed limit is more dangerous than having a blood alcohol of 0.052

Eels Dude

Coach
Carney has several driving convictions, one DUI (soon to be two), one driving while disqualified, and I believe a reckless driving conviction also so. Let's keep in mind the first occasion Naquama was disqualified long term he was on his L plates. When he was charged for the fourth time he still had 7 years to run before he was able to apply for his licence again. So whatever he did on the road as a minor had to be something very serious.

Danish

Referee
Really they are all horrible, horrible drivers with terrible records and should all be off the road.

However the NRL set the standard with Wes by not stepping in once during his long spate of driving offences, not even when he was actually imprisoned. So they should steer well clear of Carney as well.

Similarly they have ignored multiple driving and criminal offences by other star players (shillo, SBW in the past, Watmough, Lui, Gibbs etc) without suspending anyone. In fact the last player- and only player - the NRL ever took action against for drink driving was one Jake Friend.

blake1979

Juniors
Really they are all horrible, horrible drivers with terrible records and should all be off the road.

However the NRL set the standard with Wes by not stepping in once during his long spate of driving offences, not even when he was actually imprisoned. So they should steer well clear of Carney as well.

Similarly they have ignored multiple driving and criminal offences by other star players (shillo, SBW in the past, Watmough, Lui, Gibbs etc) without suspending anyone. In fact the last player- and only player - the NRL ever took action against for drink driving was one Jake Friend.

I personally dont believe the NRL should have the power to issue fines , the justice system is their for a reason, i realise their is a code of conduct in their contracts but thats not the point.

Lambretta

First Grade

If you've lost your licence for repeated road rule infringements then you could well be endangering people.

Driving whilst disqualified. How do you argue that to be mistake? I'm sorry I thought my licence had been given back, I forgot I was banned.

At least what Todd did, whilst wrong and punishable by the loss of his licence and a fine can be argued to be a genuine mistake.

Eels Dude

Coach

And Friend was also a P plater, who got done for high range drink driving to put things in perspective.

God-King Dean

Immortal
So you're both saying Naiqama can get 4 times for possibly dangerous driving (probably only one is proven, the other three are speculation) - yet Carney can have 4 proven DUI's, yet doesn't deserve jail time?

Baffled....

Eels Dude

Coach
While that's a fair call he got it disqualified for a reason, in his repeat offences no one has said he was speeding or DUI.

Carney has been DUI 3 times IIRC. Why doesn't he get weekend detention? Is 4 the magic number?

Carney has only had two DUI convictions. Naiguama had his licence disqualified and on 4 separate occasions after that was caught behind the wheel. He knew he was disqualified yet he continued to drive around all the time even after he'd been punished over and over again. Sometimes driving under the influence can be unintentional and a simple mistake which is probably what happened to Carney in this situation. But you know whether you have a licence or not and if you don't but drive around all the time, have multiple convictions, yet still do it. Then obviously you haven't learned your lesson.

The RTA have a term called a 'habitual offender' which means if someone commits a serious offence on 3 separate occasions in the space of 5 years they face a lengthy ban no matter. Carney will be in the situation now. Commit more than that, like Naiquama did with 5 separate convictions then some sort of prison time or home detention more than likely.

Lambretta

First Grade
So you're both saying Naiqama can get 4 times for possibly dangerous driving (probably only one is proven, the other three are speculation) - yet Carney can have 4 proven DUI's, yet doesn't deserve jail time?

Baffled....

No, I'm saying that deliberately doing something wrong and doing something wrong unwittingly aren't always treated the same way, regardless of past records.

Can you say that Naiqama was mistakenly in the car driving unlicenced? If so, I'm more than happy to extend the benefit of the doubt to him, just as I extended it to Greg Bird, Brett Stewart and Greg Inglis and countless other Rugby League players who have been accused in a black and white world of breaking the law when the World we live in is anything but.

I haven't said that Todd should escape punishment, but you know as I do that he wouldnt be convicted to jail time by a court in this land for this particular offence.

Oh and he should have been for some of his prior offences in my opinion. How he escaped those baffles me. I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable here. I also dont feel that comparing differing offences and circumstances as proof of guilt or innocence is really sensible either. There are plenty more cases of players doing wrong and escaping punishment altogether, quite wrongly, than there are of players getting punished. So for every Wes Naiqama there are a thousand others who did far worse than either and got nothing and no I'm not using that as justification either.

Geohood

Bench
Everyone needs to pull their heads in and look at this in perspective.

Sure he is technically a repeat offender, but in his mind he did the right thing by taking a taxi home, oblivious to alcohol still being in his system in the morning.

Now how is this him having no regard for the law, not learning from his mistakes etc etc? He hasn't repeated his past offences, he merely made a mistake. The next step is to stop drinking alcohol but as we all know that is an entirely seperate issue.

Eels Dude

Coach

Baffled....

Naiguama has had 4 convictions for driving while disqualified, treated as a criminal offence just like DUI. Prior to that he already had his licence disqualified by the courts for something unknown but obviously serious when he was an L plater. Whether he was driving dangerously or not is irrelevent, he was banned from driving due to being deemed a dangerous driver and was disallowed to do drive on public roads yet he did anyway. Driving disqualified is like driving when you haven't even qualified for a licence in the first place. You may not be driving dangerously in your mind, but a drivers licence is a privelage not a right.

Carney has ONE DUI conviction, soon to be two if found guilty which is more likely than not.

adamkungl

Immortal
He blew .052 above his limit. It doesn't matter if you think it's right or not, it's the law.

But in terms of safety and the nonsense hypotheticals about killing some dope's mother or sister, it's a non-issue. 0.052 is according to the law, about 5 minutes and a glass of water away from being a safe BAC to drive. No one is debating that he broke the law, there are obviously different degrees of law breaking. I shudder to think if Carney is caught jaywalking...:crazy:

The stupid thing about this whole debate is that Carney himself has admitted he did the wrong thing. And full credit to him, at last he might be growing up. Yet certain rooster fans are defending his actions even though the man himself said he was in the wrong.

As for rothfield we all know he's a clown so why give a f**k about what he says?

No one is defending him. We're saying that the calls for jail terms and sackings are f**king nonsense. He'll be given a punishment to suit the crime. Not a punishment that exceeds anything any player has ever received in the history of the game, which is what some people are calling for.

Yep, and that was f**king hypocrital bullsh*t as well.

God-King Dean

Immortal
All fair points.

FTR, I don't give toss what footy players do in their spare time. If a player breaks the law, the courts will deal with them.

AuDragon

Juniors
That is hearsay and irrelevant.
How many times has Anthony Watmough or you or me for that matter sped before being caught. I have never been caught nor in all likelihood have you. I bet you have exceeded the speed limit though.
It's definitely not irrelevant, it's a statistical certainty!
More to the point, it shows Carney stepped of the wagon and has been using alcohol. Given his history, that's as stupid as you can get. :roll:

Just because Watmough is a d!ckhead, or because we all may have exceeded the speed limit, we should all excuse Carney, is that it?

Should I ever go to court for a driving related offense, I'll tell the judge about Watmough. See if I can get away with it... :crazy: