What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney caught Drink Driving!!

CMUX

An eight match suspension sounds about right. Adam Kungl looks at this offence in isolation and that's where his argument fails, miserably I might add.

Carney has priors for the same offence and has been caught again. I don't see the relevance in saying Carney was slightly over the legal limit for a normal driver. Simple fact is he is a p plater and the law clearly states that you are not to consume any alochol and get behind the wheel when on your p's.

He knew the risk and now has to pay the price. We all know the Roosters as a club are too gutless to impose any type of punitive penalty on Carney do the NRL has to take it out of their hands and impose a suspended fine of 50k on the club and a lengthy suspension on Carney to show supporters of the game that this will not be tolerated.

If it was his first offence then I wouldn't say much but he has a shocking history with alcohol and the stupidity that comes with being a drunk.

And what do you think Anthony Watmough should get… don’t forget to take his priors into account.

adamkungl

Immortal
Adam - what sort of punishment would you recommend?

From the courts - licence suspension and fine. Given his priors and depending on how serious the judge views this, considering he didn't knowingly drink driving, he could get a suspended sentence or probably community service. Anything more seems excessive to me.

From the Roosters - a small fine/standard wrist slapping.

He sat out a year of NRL because of prior's - what do you think it will take for him to pull his head in?

Well for the most part it seems like he has pulled his head in. Like I said, he didn't do this knowingly and I doubt his judgement/decision making was even alcohol impaired considering how low range it was. This isn't an issue of repeat alcohol abuse in my opinion, it was an unlucky accident.

Compare the outrage here to repeat offender Watmough, who also has priors (arguably worse than Carney's). tell me how Watmough accidentally was 60km over the speed limit...

legend

Coach
You're kidding right?

He's already had a five year discqualification against his name and has now racked up another DUI.

How long would you suggest he is disqualified for?

a ten year sentence may be the things that saves his life because as sure as sh*t he will be back on the booze on he retires but next time he may injure or kill someone. He's quickly running out of chances IMO.

Really?

Show me a similar case where a jail term was the punishment for the perpetrator.

Has anyone in Australia been jailed for blowing 0.052 regardless of priors?

How many times do we have to say it? The correct punishment is a fine and loss of licence. I don’t think a 10 year suspension would be unfair given his priors.

Danish

Referee
You're kidding right?

He's already had a five year discqualification against his name and has now racked up another DUI.

As did shillington (actually I think it was 3 years) prior to his high range DUI.

Perhaps he should have been rubbed out of the game as well?

Its funny how only a few years ago we had Wes Naiqama serving weekend detention while still happily playing for the Dragons. The judge even allowed him to serve his time on mon-tues so as not to hurt his employment.

Why is it that all of a sudden the NRL needs to start suspending players for driving offences?

CMUX

You're kidding right?

How long would you suggest he is disqualified for?

a ten year sentence may be the things that saves his life because as sure as sh*t he will be back on the booze on he retires but next time he may injure or kill someone. He's quickly running out of chances IMO.

As I said a 10 year suspension would not be unfair IMO.

legend

Coach
From the courts - licence suspension and fine. Given his priors and depending on how serious the judge views this, considering he didn't knowingly drink driving, he could get a suspended sentence or probably community service. Anything more seems excessive to me.

From the Roosters - a small fine/standard wrist slapping.

Well for the most part it seems like he has pulled his head in. Like I said, he didn't do this knowingly and I doubt his judgement/decision making was even alcohol impaired considering how low range it was. This isn't an issue of repeat alcohol abuse in my opinion, it was an unlucky accident.

Compare the outrage here to repeat offender Watmough, who also has priors (arguably worse than Carney's). tell me how Watmough accidentally was 60km over the speed limit...

How the hell are Watmough's arguably worse than Carney's? Carney has been arrested for driving unlicenced, pissed on a guys head, has been caught wrecking a car, caught DUI again. ALL have been alcohol related. There are plenty we don't know about either.

You're argument is piss weak and makes you a dribbler.

CMUX

How the hell are Watmough's arguably worse than Carney's? Carney has been arrested for driving unlicenced, pissed on a guys head, has been caught wrecking a car, caught DUI again. ALL have been alcohol related. There are plenty we don't know about either.

Nice allegation there. Care to provide proof?

There are probably countless incidents regarding many other players we don’t know about also.

legend

Coach
As did shillington (actually I think it was 3 years) prior to his high range DUI.

Perhaps he should have been rubbed out of the game as well?

Its funny how only a few years ago we had Wes Naiqama serving weekend detention while still happily playing for the Dragons. The judge even allowed him to serve his time on mon-tues so as not to hurt his employment.

Why is it that all of a sudden the NRL needs to start suspending players for driving offences?

I thought DUI qualified as a criminal offence? Like all Roosters fans, you are looking at his latest incedent in isolation. Fact is, he has priors for alcohol related incidents (and has been arrested) so of course they will be taken into account when he faces this current charge.

I fully expect Carney to get off lightly, as is the nature of our justice system. If the average Joe was facing the same charge and had the same history, at a minimum he'd be facing weekend detention. Carney is high profile and as such, will be given the best possible legal representation to ensure the Roosters investment in him is not wasted.

CMUX

I thought DUI qualified as a criminal offence? Like all Roosters fans, you are looking at his latest incedent in isolation. Fact is, he has priors for alcohol related incidents (and has been arrested) so of course they will be taken into account when he faces this current charge.

I fully expect Carney to get off lightly, as is the nature of our justice system. If the average Joe was facing the same charge and had the same history, at a minimum he'd be facing weekend detention. Carney is high profile and as such, will be given the best possible legal representation to ensure the Roosters investment in him is not wasted.

I am assuming you recall a similar situation where the punishment was weekend detention?

legend

Coach
Nice allegation there. Care to provide proof?

There are probably countless incidents regarding many other players we don’t know about also.

I don't have proof. Ring Raiders HQ and ask them. He was given numerous chances there (and violated the club's code of conduct) and that has been publicly stated by the club so there is no allegation. I believe he was also stood down by the Raiders for infractions of the clubs code of conduct.

If there was something at the Roosters that he did wrong, it would be easier to find out who killed Jimmy Hoffa.

adamkungl

Immortal

Anthony Watmough allegedly bashed his girlfriend and punched a sponsor.

CMUX

I don't have proof. Ring Raiders HQ and ask them. He was given numerous chances there (and violated the club's code of conduct) and that has been publicly stated by the club so there is no allegation. I believe he was also stood down by the Raiders for infractions of the clubs code of conduct.

If there was something at the Roosters that he did wrong, it would be easier to find out who killed Jimmy Hoffa.

No one is denying that and it all constitutes things we know about.

You stated that there were plenty of things we don’t know about. Well enlighten us….

adamkungl

Immortal
Is it any surprise that the majority of bitter sooking is coming from Canberra fans (obvious) and Cronulla fans (whose dumbf**k club sacked a bloke for drink-walking, and sacked one of their most popular ever players for something he was eventually found not guilty of)

Danish

Referee

bullsh*t.

Visit any local court and you'll regularly hear cases of drivers on their 4th or 5th DUI or driving while suspended charge incurring nothing more than a year or 2 added to their current suspension.

Rarely do judges give weekend detention for such things unless it is repeatedly high range drink driving or if the offences occurred in quick succession (not over 4-5 years like Carney's)

He'll get a rightfully lengthy suspension on his licence and thats it, just like any other member of the public would.

gerg

Juniors
He has proven that a slap on the wrist does absolutely nothing. Even being sacked by the raiders didn't register with him - he only considered reforming after he couldn't get a visa to the UK.

I'm not going to crap on and say that he should be jailed (though it appears as if its only a matter of time) but a 4 - 6 game suspension from the NRL wouldn't be out of place IMO.

no name

Coach
Please, this drink driving charge is the equivalent of getting pulled over for doing 85 in an 80 zone. he was 0.002% above the legal limit (i realise he's not a full licenced driver, but it's not as if your grade of licence has any correlation with the effects of alcohol).

The 'what if he killed your sister' defence is a total cop-out anyway.

The reason he is on his Ps is because he has acted like a d!ck behind the wheel before. Alcohol will only increase his chances of acting like a d!ck once again.

He was not .002 over the limit, he was .052 over. He is on his Ps, he (should) know that he can't have any alcohol in his system.

I'm not going to go on saying that he could have killed someone or anything like that but he fuc*ed up in a major way.

I think this actually shows how much he has improved. For years it was while he was on the piss he got in trouble. At least now it is after it. He has been on it all summer and not a peep. That means one of two things.

A. He has been in control of his drinking and not been a dickhead.
B. The Roosters look after there team mates better then the Raiders do.

AuDragon

Juniors
I think everyone is forgetting one thing here:

How many times has he done this without being caught in the last year alone? Statiscally, it is almost an impossibility to be caught in the one and only time you may have gone over the limit in a year time...

giggity giggity

Juniors
adumkungl your response just enhances my remarks
concerning your clubs and fans narrow minded defence of
the repeat offender.in all honesty your club and you fans
are sounding very much like us raiders fans and our club
some 2 1/2-3yrs ago and as i said you'll soon realise you
cant keep defending him ,cause he will just keep on pissing on you all.

the government set "p" platers limit at 0 for a number of reasons,
some of them being that they are imature,have no rational thoughts,are irresponsible,drink alcohol excessively,get exciteable easily,act like baffons,drive around like they are 10 ft tall and untouchable,
hang on a minute i've just described tood carney hahaha lol.

in all seriousness guys if this had been todds first d/driving offence
i would agree with you all that it has been blown out of proportion
BUT it is not his first offence and because the majority of his
offences have been committed in the A.C.T.,this should not and
will not distract the judge from his habitual behaviour in relation
to his drinking and driving.if i have lost my licence in N.S.W. it does not
mean that i can simply go to VIC or QLD and get a licence there,if you are banned in one state you are banned in all,the states different driving authorities have dozens of differing rule but this is one rule that is standard across all states and territories,so his long,long,long list of
offences in the A.C.T. will be brought up and become a major issue
for his defence team(uncle nick,brother gyngell and papa gould).
you fans and your clubs ridiculous argument (he murded 31+ people but his last crime he only cut off a persons toe) lol lol lol

all this sh*te aside, adankungl you didnt answer my question,yes or no
would you hold the same relaxed view if repeat offender todd carney
had injured or killed your mum,nan,sis,wife or children and then blew
a low-range reading?an honest yes or no will surfice

Latest posts