What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
I have major doubts about that, we'd be better off for the moment but remember Tim Smith nearly 2 years older then Carney, so 2 years more development. Im confident with the right coaching that at the same age Carney will be streets ahead of Tim Smith

:lol:

Yup.

Kris_man

Bench
I think Todd Carney was fantastic today. He definitely has a running game much better than Smith's, although he's not yet as good at short kicking and putting players through gaps (btw, kudos to Elliott for giving Jason Smith the short kicking duties). But then, Tim Smith is the best in the NRL in those areas at the moment.

Snake_Eater

Juniors
i think carney is more at home at 5/8, he is a natural ball runner and can look dangerous running across the feild, he also isnt shy at running through holes, its a pitty he cant finish what he started by bombing certain tries..hopefully with experiance he can master all areas but to me he is certainly loking good atm, i think its the team as a whole that are letting canry down in some way. i mean ur only as good as the men around u.

edabomb

First Grade
Definately isn't ready to run a side. Very promising, but we weren't told he was promising, we were told he was ready to contribute. Bottom line, if Carney plays well or poorly it pretty much doesn't have any bearing on the outcome IMO. When he starts having an influence over the results we will be able to make more of an accurate critique on his abilities at NRL level.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
My god your a f**ktard edabomb. Carney has been restricted by Smelliot, anybody can see that.
You need only look at Tim Smith to see the difference.
He gets the ball at least 3-4 teams each set. He has been given resposibility over the direction of the side and that's why he has grown.
If Carney gest the ball it's usually to pass it on to Smitty.
We know what Carney can command the squad as seen in the rnd 21 Eels game. Once he is given responsibility over the squad he will grow into the player we want. Unfortunetly this will only happen once Elliot is in the dole que.

Evergreen

Juniors
woodgers said:
I hate to say it again but I hope like hell that he moves on at the end of next year so that everyone can see what he can be in a decent team that IS well coached.

Woodgers I respect your opinion more often than not, but saying stuff like that is just plain geniused. You're a passionate supporter, but don't let a vendetta against the coach blind your judgement.

edabomb

First Grade
Chief_Chujo said:
My god your a f**ktard edabomb. Carney has been restricted by Smelliot, anybody can see that.
You need only look at Tim Smith to see the difference.
He gets the ball at least 3-4 teams each set. He has been given resposibility over the direction of the side and that's why he has grown.
If Carney gest the ball it's usually to pass it on to Smitty.
We know what Carney can command the squad as seen in the rnd 21 Eels game. Once he is given responsibility over the squad he will grow into the player we want. Unfortunetly this will only happen once Elliot is in the dole que.

The way I see it Carneys had plenty of chances to stamp his mark on the game in the opposing 20. Jason Smith has taken a back step (to the detriment of the side) to allow this. Bottom line is all of the superstars of the game show a lot more promise than Carney has at any stage of his first grade career, hes been hyped as a future Australian half. I'll go on the record and say he'll never play rep footy.

aussies1st

Staff member
Unless NSW find a better halfback after Johns your prediction is already down the toilet :D Next year we will truely know if Carney has it or not (assuming Elliot isn't using Withers there).

Stuart

Juniors
edabomb said:
The way I see it Carneys had plenty of chances to stamp his mark on the game in the opposing 20. Jason Smith has taken a back step (to the detriment of the side) to allow this. Bottom line is all of the superstars of the game show a lot more promise than Carney has at any stage of his first grade career, hes been hyped as a future Australian half. I'll go on the record and say he'll never play rep footy.

Carney has half of the season in what on form has been one of a handful of players who have shown any spark recently in what has been the worst side in the competition since Johns came back for Newcastle. How do you expect him to show much more than he has in such a side? Especially when players seem reluctant to run off him when he has the ball, in a team which lacks any concept of attack.

If you put Benji Marshall, Tim Smith etc into our team we would not improve much as our players arent coached to play attacking football, very few guys run good decoy lines, we lack bodies in motion in the opposition 20, meaning a lack of options for our halves and our game plan focusses on 5 rucks up the middle, then kick, ignoring the other aspects of football. Our problems go much much deeper than a 19 year old halfback, who people seem so keen to lay the blame on, of course he isnt our saviour yet, our problems are entrenched in the culture that has been implemented by elliot an want be fixed until he is gone. Sadly no player (Johns excepted) could fix our woeful attack and blaming Carney for it continued misfiring is misguided to say the least.

edabomb

First Grade
The thing is you still see the sparks in the games of the greats, even if their side is struggling. I haven't seen anything like that from Carney. If he reminds me of one player going around its a young Matt Orford, not a truely great talent, but he will be very good if you surround him with very good players. Unfortunately we really can't attract any very good players.

Whitty

Juniors
edabomb said:
The thing is you still see the sparks in the games of the greats, even if their side is struggling. I haven't seen anything like that from Carney. If he reminds me of one player going around its a young Matt Orford, not a truely great talent, but he will be very good if you surround him with very good players. Unfortunately we really can't attract any very good players.

Best comment I have seen in this whole thread. He may have been a gun when he had the rep players running off him, but if he was going to be a star he would be a star right from the start, good players around him or not. Dare I mention his name, Johns is steering the team of nuffies from newie around like world beaters because of what he does and what he tells them to do - a halfbacks job. If Carney is any good, he would already be making these blokes play and run the way he wants them to play and run. Same as Orford - superstar when the blokes around him go good, MIA when the blokes around him are getting belted.

Brimmer

Juniors
I still feel Carney is the best option available ATM. Give him a couple of years to mature and he'll be right. I still have concern for our outside backs though.

greeneyed

First Grade
Whitty said:
Best comment I have seen in this whole thread. He may have been a gun when he had the rep players running off him, but if he was going to be a star he would be a star right from the start, good players around him or not. Dare I mention his name, Johns is steering the team of nuffies from newie around like world beaters because of what he does and what he tells them to do - a halfbacks job. If Carney is any good, he would already be making these blokes play and run the way he wants them to play and run. Same as Orford - superstar when the blokes around him go good, MIA when the blokes around him are getting belted.

This is the most stupid post I have read in years on the forums. Johns is 30 something and Carney has just turned 19. Carney doesn't have rep players running off him in PL.... or JF..... he was steering them around all right. Very well in fact. I mean that post is the most ridiculous have read in years. Carney played extremely well last night and will in the future if the "Super coach" Matt Elliott has the courage to stick with him from Round 1 next season, as Brian Smith did with his half. Of course, Elliott won't..........

Stuart

Juniors
Whitty said:

Your absolutely kidding yourself comparing Johns to Carney. They are at completely different ends of their carreers. Johns is the best player in the world (arguably) the other is a 19 year old halfback with 10 FG games under his belt playing in a team of nuffies with no attacking structure. I didnt see Johns first 10 FG games but i am 1000% sure he did not have anywhere the impact he has now.

Carney hasnt proved he is a rep player yet but he may well develop into one. He is already the best half at the club and there isnt much competition so hopefully the jobs his next season and he can prove you wrong.

Edwahu

Bench
Its a miracle Carney can create anything in the current side. We do not have anywhere near a first grade forward pack. The fact that he has done some damage is a very positive sign. Based on Elliots comments he will be starting halfback from round 1 next year and all I can say is thank god.

Edwahu said:
Its a miracle Carney can create anything in the current side. We do not have anywhere near a first grade forward pack. The fact that he has done some damage is a very positive sign. Based on Elliots comments he will be starting halfback from round 1 next year and all I can say is thank god.

When did he say that? I really worry that it will be 6. Smith 7. Withers and 9. Woolford.

Edwahu

Bench
I Bleed Green said:
When did he say that? I really worry that it will be 6. Smith 7. Withers and 9. Woolford.

On ABC radio he said that the big positive out of the losing streak was the Carney has shown he will be ready to lead the team next year. I wouldnt put it past Elliot to expect him to lead the team from the bench but its positive anyway.

aussies1st

Staff member
I really hope Carney is our number 7. If hes not it will be de ju vu of this year. Woolford suspended, Smith injuried Carney chucked in with no pre season in the halfback jersey. Raiders stuck on 22 points ... you know the rest.

Latest posts