What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

Mr Red

First Grade
Let's get rid of an injury prone 31 year old five eighth, with ongoing hamstring problems, who we have been forcing to play as a half back, ... And replace with an injury prone 30 year five eighth with ongoing hamstring problems who we will force to play as a half back....

Oh... And probably pay them more money....
Dragons logic.

Carlton

Juniors
I'm all for looking after the right juniors, but I don't agree that we should mark time while we wait to see if a junior with potential can make the grade in two years time. Sure provide them with support and a pathway but don't bank on them as you cant be sure of having all the members of the team together in two years time that will win a comp.

Try someone seriously in the meantime and if they work, great, if they don't move on and hopefully that junior will step up in the future. I know there have been some posters who give Mann a big NO but based on what? He has played in the halves as a junior, did well in QLD cup, was purchased as a backup for the halves and hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do.

He may not work but then we know for sure and can get on with finding someone else if needed. But what about if he works, solves a lot of problems, is relatively cheap and allows us to look at strengthening other positions.

Mr Red

First Grade
I'm all for looking after the right juniors, but I don't agree that we should mark time while we wait to see if a junior with potential can make the grade in two years time. Sure provide them with support and a pathway but don't bank on them as you cant be sure of having all the members of the team together in two years time that will win a comp.

Try someone seriously in the meantime and if they work, great, if they don't move on and hopefully that junior will step up in the future. I know there have been some posters who give Mann a big NO but based on what? He has played in the halves as a junior, did well in QLD cup, was purchased as a backup for the halves and hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do.

He may not work but then we know for sure and can get on with finding someone else if needed. But what about if he works, solves a lot of problems, is relatively cheap and allows us to look at strengthening other positions.

Mann wasn't purchased as a backup to the halves, he was purchased with the idea of giving us a ball playing fullback. And he was dismal in his first few matches so was dropped.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I would be fine with a one year deal for Carney. We can't keep saying "let's look to our juniors" or "give Mann a shot". Mann isn't proven in the halves, the last time he played in the halves was his junior years and even then he was more of a running 5/8 not this 'organising halfback' that everyone is saying we need (which we do).
Jai Field is another year or so off yet and to be quite honest, Hutch isn't showing enough right now to warrant a first grade spot. Carney is by far and away the best option out there right now, we're going to have to settle for someone sooner or later. When he's fit he's one of the most natural footballers out there, if Cleary takes the head coaching spot he'll get him fit and ready to go.

Country Dragon

Juniors
Mann wasn't purchased as a backup to the halves, he was purchased with the idea of giving us a ball playing fullback. And he was dismal in his first few matches so was dropped.
IMO, he was no worse than the majority of the team in those first couple of games!

RPG437

Juniors
Maybe they feel that they can do a Dugan / Packer job with Carney. Reformed troublemakers. Carney at his best would be an outstanding addition footy wise. Questions are how fit is he? What has his form been like? What behavioural issues are they talking about in France? Will the NRL even allow him back??

Carlton

Juniors
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Millward said in one of his videos that Mann was purchased as a backup for the halves as well as a fullback.

Carlton

Juniors
I would be fine with a one year deal for Carney. We can't keep saying "let's look to our juniors" or "give Mann a shot". Mann isn't proven in the halves, the last time he played in the halves was his junior years and even then he was more of a running 5/8 not this 'organising halfback' that everyone is saying we need (which we do).
Jai Field is another year or so off yet and to be quite honest, Hutch isn't showing enough right now to warrant a first grade spot. Carney is by far and away the best option out there right now, we're going to have to settle for someone sooner or later. When he's fit he's one of the most natural footballers out there, if Cleary takes the head coaching spot he'll get him fit and ready to go.
I think the last time he played in the halves was when he was dropped to QLD cup with Melbourne after he signed with us. I also think from all reports he was a very good 5/8.

since77

Juniors
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Millward said in one of his videos that Mann was purchased as a backup for the halves as well as a fullback.

That's correct. Mary in his infinite wisdom never thought to explore that, even in the long amount of time Mann spent playing for the Cutters.

Mr Red

First Grade
Milward might have said it but in reality was never going to happen with McCrone the preferred backup in the halves..
Milward has had many delusional moments when interviewed this season, should be drug tested,,,

BennyV

Referee
When he first signed with us, he was listed on the Dragons website as 5/8 and fullback.

And he wasn't dismal against Melbourne, he was actually decent (considering it was his first game at fullback in the top grade). He made a few shocking errors against the Sharks, but no worse than the rest of the team (and no worse than Coote seems to be playing).

Bench
Widdop should be stripped of the captaincy and should be told, as with the other players, perform or be dropped

Mr Red

First Grade
When he first signed with us, he was listed on the Dragons website as 5/8 and fullback.

And he wasn't dismal against Melbourne, he was actually decent (considering it was his first game at fullback in the top grade). He made a few shocking errors against the Sharks, but no worse than the rest of the team (and no worse than Coote seems to be playing).

Could've listed Mann as a prop on the website for all the good it means..he'd have as much chance playing there as he did getting a start in the halves for us..like I said it was obvious from day 1 McCrone was Mary's preferred backup for the halves ..rightly or wrongly...

If we don't sign a half soon though Mary's hand (if he's still there) could be forced next season to give Mann a shot as it's pretty clear McCrone isn't up to it despite Mary picking him all the time...And I don't think hutch is the answer either.

Coote has had back to back amazing seasons, been Instrumental in a grand final win and unfortunately finished this season with two shockers.
Comparing his overall ability to Mann as a fullback isn't logical.

hazzbeen

Bench
Mary can't seriously be there next year , after our non attacking and not so great D as they call it . As I have said it won't make one bit of a difference who we get if we keep playing dragons footy with the same coaching , I just don't see how we can afford another wasted year with no direction . No I'm ranting for no reason Mary can't possibly be there again ......

The Doc

Juniors
You are right. He was in fact signed to play fullback to allow Dugan to move to the centres.
However, his main asset when signed was the fact he can ball play and in return that gives us a extra 5/8 type player at fullback.
Mann can handle a move to the halves easily i believe. And if he is a better running 5/8 then Widdoo, then maybe Widdop can wear the 7 and organise the team.
That way, he can pick and choose his moments to inject himself without the burden and pressure of pulling off a play every set.
In 2018 there is an influx of halves that will be available, i dont see Carney accepting a 1 year deal, which if signed is all he should be offered.
This way, if Mann excels, or if carney is signed and excels, we can extend the contracts.
If not, then make a big play for a big name 7 for 2018.
We have Hutch and Mann to experiment with in 2017. I just hope we dont make a knee jerk reaction and do a panic buy that will effect us chasing a big name for 2018.

The Doc

Juniors
Mary can't seriously be there next year , after our non attacking and not so great D as they call it . As I have said it won't make one bit of a difference who we get if we keep playing dragons footy with the same coaching , I just don't see how we can afford another wasted year with no direction . No I'm ranting for no reason Mary can't possibly be there again ......
That there my friend will be the sole difference betwwen a good 2017 and a wasted 2017.
Im with you, i cant see any way on earth that mary can survive and be there as head coach in 2017.
If we are any chance of improving in 2017 then mary must be shown the door.
Me personally, i dont even care if we promote JD (if we have no cash for anyone else) and demote hornby or young to coach the cutters
Id rather go into 2017 thinking "well, maybe JD can turn 1st grade around like he did with the cutters" then go into 2017 thinking "oh well, we already know what we will get, the same thing as 2016".
It may in fact be false hope banking on JD, but at least the uncertainty will make it a bearable off season.
And i dont think its possible that any other coach (bar Price) can be as bad as Mary.
Marys gotta go... that simple.

Latest posts