What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

hazzbeen

Bench
That there my friend will be the sole difference betwwen a good 2017 and a wasted 2017.
Im with you, i cant see any way on earth that mary can survive and be there as head coach in 2017.
If we are any chance of improving in 2017 then mary must be shown the door.
Me personally, i dont even care if we promote JD (if we have no cash for anyone else) and demote hornby or young to coach the cutters
Id rather go into 2017 thinking "well, maybe JD can turn 1st grade around like he did with the cutters" then go into 2017 thinking "oh well, we already know what we will get, the same thing as 2016".
It may in fact be false hope banking on JD, but at least the uncertainty will make it a bearable off season.
And i dont think its possible that any other coach (bar Price) can be as bad as Mary.
Marys gotta go... that simple.
Doc JD has to be an improvement, I'd give him the gig if there is no other answer . Mary has failed bottom line. ....

Mr Red

First Grade
You are right. He was in fact signed to play fullback to allow Dugan to move to the centres.
However, his main asset when signed was the fact he can ball play and in return that gives us a extra 5/8 type player at fullback.
Mann can handle a move to the halves easily i believe. And if he is a better running 5/8 then Widdoo, then maybe Widdop can wear the 7 and organise the team.
That way, he can pick and choose his moments to inject himself without the burden and pressure of pulling off a play every set.
In 2018 there is an influx of halves that will be available, i dont see Carney accepting a 1 year deal, which if signed is all he should be offered.
This way, if Mann excels, or if carney is signed and excels, we can extend the contracts.
If not, then make a big play for a big name 7 for 2018.
We have Hutch and Mann to experiment with in 2017. I just hope we dont make a knee jerk reaction and do a panic buy that will effect us chasing a big name for 2018.

Unfortunately first grade isn't a place to "experiment" with players playing roles they aren't accustomed to... We have done this numerous times with many players and none of those experiments have been successful , they have however contributed to us losing matches.
If there is a genuine belief that Mann is to transition the to halves then where is the planning ???
He should have been locked into the halves in the cutters all season if this was the case, it's not fair on any player to have their "L" plates on in a new role whilst trying to perform at a level expected in first grade...

Carlton

Juniors
Unfortunately first grade isn't a place to "experiment" with players playing roles they aren't accustomed to... We have done this numerous times with many players and none of those experiments have been successful , they have however contributed to us losing matches.
If there is a genuine belief that Mann is to transition the to halves then where is the planning ???
He should have been locked into the halves in the cutters all season if this was the case, it's not fair on any player to have their "L" plates on in a new role whilst trying to perform at a level expected in first grade...
So we are looking at replacing one 30 year old half with another 30 year old. But this one has been out of the NRL for a while and has a history of problems. Carney is a running half similar to Benji. We have tried De Belin, McCrone and Hutchison two of which are not experiments and De Belin was just stupidity. We have a player on our books with a history of being a good half that we haven't tried. Doesn't sound like much experimentation has gone on and I think this is one of our problems.

If we cant sign a genuine long term half now, why not try Mann while we find the junior or established player we need. If he succeeds what's the problem, if he doesn't we are no worse off longer term than if we sign up Carney.

The Doc

Juniors
Agree with you regarding the forward planning. He should have been half in the cutters when he was demoted.
But... i wouldnt call it experimenting. The kids played in the halves before. He can ball play and has speed.
Will he be a success? Time will tell.
You know, one of the best coaches of all time experimented with 2 fullbacks at 5/8 in first grade, and they paid off handsomely.
One Mr Darren Lockyer and one Mr Anthony Milford.
Im not saying we have a Lockyer or Milford in Mann, all im saying is we will never know if we dont try him there.
He has all the attributes to make a successfull switch, the only thing that i see that will hinder the kid is one Mr Paul Mcgregor!!!
My point is id rather take a gamble on Mann rather then sign a Todd Carney and blow any chance of a big name 7 in 2018. Like i said earlier, knowing our board we will offer Carney 2 or 3 years, on big money, and then we can kiss goodbye any chance of a big name in 2018.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The reason Mann was never tried in the halves with the Cutters, was simple. When he went back from first grade he originally went as a full back, played a couple of games there and then was injured. He came back and Quinlan was fullback, they had Nona, Hutch, McCrone and even Wallace. They were also on a winning run at that stage. Winger and Centre were the rotating positions in the team. So centre was the only position he could really slot into.
He played several games in the halves in the QLD cup and was a stand out, so much so that Bellamy recalled him to the Storm when they needed a back.
If we don't sign a half, and it doesn't look likely at this stage that we will and Nona, Hutch and McCrone (who is now a hooker in the Cutters) aren't going to make the cut, then logically Mann would be the choice as a 5/8 and move Widdop to 7.
However, this all depends on who is coach and what plans he has for the team. In any case there would be a whole pre-season to train and some trials to "experiment". If the experiment fails then it would be Hutch as the back-up or they may even promote Nona.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Whether people like it or not Carney is the best option out there right now.
If he can stay fit, he's the one we should be going after. Anyone doubting his behaviour should read some other people's posts about him in this thread. He's actually no worse than a lot of other players in the competition.

A one year deal with the option of a second would be ideal. Give him an intense off-season and make sure he KNOWS it's his last chance.

If he can stay fit, he's the one we should be going after. Anyone doubting his behaviour should read some other people's posts about him in this thread. He's actually no worse than a lot of other players in the competition.

A one year deal with the option of a second would be ideal. Give him an intense off-season and make sure he KNOWS it's his last chance.
I want you blokes to do well, but honestly steer clear of him. Nothing but trouble.

Walpole

Juniors

So, would this be his last last chance...

BennyV

Referee
Coote has had back to back amazing seasons, been Instrumental in a grand final win and unfortunately finished this season with two shockers.
Comparing his overall ability to Mann as a fullback isn't logical.
Correct,it isn't logical. However, comparing Mann's shocker against Cronulla to Cootes last 2 games is quite apt.

saints4ever

First Grade
The reason Mann was never tried in the halves with the Cutters, was simple. When he went back from first grade he originally went as a full back, played a couple of games there and then was injured. He came back and Quinlan was fullback, they had Nona, Hutch, McCrone and even Wallace. They were also on a winning run at that stage. Winger and Centre were the rotating positions in the team. So centre was the only position he could really slot into.
He played several games in the halves in the QLD cup and was a stand out, so much so that Bellamy recalled him to the Storm when they needed a back.
If we don't sign a half, and it doesn't look likely at this stage that we will and Nona, Hutch and McCrone (who is now a hooker in the Cutters) aren't going to make the cut, then logically Mann would be the choice as a 5/8 and move Widdop to 7.
However, this all depends on who is coach and what plans he has for the team. In any case there would be a whole pre-season to train and some trials to "experiment". If the experiment fails then it would be Hutch as the back-up or they may even promote Nona.
This is the same coach that used an entire off season prepping Mann as FB and dropped him after two games

nrlnrl

First Grade
It is rumoured that he signed a two year deal with us
I highly doubt this. Plus, the NRL would need to approve any contract involving a possible return by Todd Carney & it's highly unlikely he'd be allowed to play from Round 1 in 2017. Did he proceed with legal action against Cronulla and/or the NRL for wrongful dismissal?

Also, for any club possibly thinking about signing him, he'll be 31 next June. It's a no from me for multiple reasons.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Why is this a stupid signing? If we can get him on a one year deal it would be the best thing for us right now. He's CLEARLY the best option out there right now.

Turk

Juniors
I have no problem with signing Carney on a 1 year deal. Having Widdop and Carney off contract at seasons end would allow us to go a new direction if we wanted to and we could hit the market aggressively and snag someone like Pearce or Johnson to partner up with say Jack Bird for the 2018 season. I have a feeling Widdop will go back to England.