What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

Hard not to laugh (but in a humorous way) about this column in today's Herald by Roy Masters -

It's all about staying on the island in rugby league Survivor
Roy MastersMarch 25, 2019 — 4.17pm

A “Lord of the Flies” mentality has enveloped rugby league – a mindset where everyone is
obsessed with voting someone off the island.

The Nobel Prize winning author William Golding’s book about a group of British schoolboys marooned on a Pacific island was probably the inspiration for the television series Survivor. Their
disastrous attempts to govern themselves have become a script for the NRL and ARLC. It began with the concerted move by NRL clubs and the state leagues, with the encouragement of the “custodians of the code” (News Corp) to boot John Grant out as ARLC chair.

In more recent times NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has stood down three players – the Dragons’ Jack de Belin, Sea Eagles’ Dylan Walker and Panthers Tyrone May – for alleged behavioural breaches, effectively kicking them off the island.

Greenberg then set off a “which club will get the axe?” discussion when he resurrected the expansion debate last week. Manly, Cronulla and Wests Tigers have all been forced to explain why they should be allowed to stay on a 16-club island.

And the murderous talk will continue because the broadcasters want a second Brisbane team. When the three key men at the Broncos – chairman Karl Morris, chief executive Paul White and board member and club legend Darren Lockyer – make welcoming comments about a second Brisbane team, it would seem to be fait accompli.

After all, News Corp owns 67 per cent of the Broncos and is the majority owner of Foxtel, the television network which knows subscriptions and crowds will climb in Brisbane if there is a
game at Suncorp Stadium every weekend.

Meanwhile, the seditious talk amongst the club bosses and directors of the two state leagues has not abated with Grant’s fall from the cliff.

They are being stymied on constitutional reform by three clubs – the Bulldogs, Titans and Storm
– whose support would be needed to allow two club and two representatives from the NSWRL and QRL to join the ARLC board.

Grant’s successor as ARLC chair, Peter Beattie, is keen to propel NSWRL chair George Peponis onto another island - the International Rugby League Federation.

The IRLF currently has 10 members (two each from the rugby leagues of England, Australia,
New Zealand, Europe and the Pacific). Constitutional reform of the IRLF is set down for the AGM next month where it is proposed to have three independent directors, one of whom will be chair.

Beattie says: “We’ve been supporting the reform and we’re keen to get Dr George Peponis
up. Whether we get him up is a matter for the other nations.”

It is also a matter for Peponis. Asked by text whether he would accept his nomination by the ARLC, he replied: “Will depend on constitutional reform. Not if it involves standing down as NSWRL chairman.”

The proposed constitution requires independent directors to have held no governing role in rugby league in the previous 12 months.

Insofar as Peponis has indicated he will not stand down from his position on the big island (Australia), it means he is disqualified from joining the little one.

Beattie is aware of this, saying of Peponis’s NSWRL role: “He would have to give it up.” So why the push off the island for Peponis? It’s not as if Beattie does not consider him a worthy candidate, being a former captain of the Kangaroos, a medical doctor and chairman of the most recent World Cup.

Well, the ARLC is very keen to see the amalgamation of the NSW and Country Rugby Leagues. The relationship between the two bodies is not one that could be described as “trusting” and the CRL is not enthusiastic about Peponis being chair of the combined entity.

Should Peponis abandon his NSWRL role, it is unlikely the IRLF would accept him as an independent director. The new constitution requires 75 per cent of votes to bypass the 12 months “out of office” rule and there is simmering discontent over the last World Cup. It fell $3 million dollars short of revenue projections; Peponis took a chairman’s salary for two years and there was delay finalising the post-tournament reconciliation statements.

Some Sydney club chairmen are intent on installing Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys as Beattie’s successor. V’landys and Roosters chairman Nick Politis were both born on the Greek island of Kythera, which, given “Uncle Nick’s” 26 years as chair of the premiership club, demonstrates what you really need to be a “Survivor” on the dystopian island of rugby league.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't usually wade into the Roosters relocation debate because it's a dead end with haters, but I'll throw in my thoughts here.

It won't happen in the forseeable future, look elsewhere. Sorry guys.

Crowds? Roosters crowds sit in the same ball park as Wests, Parra, St George year on year, depending on success. The lower end of the ladder, sure, but not by enough to cut a club over.
Juniors? It's a professional sport people. No one cares. Despite a small number of locals, the club's youth development is nevertheless world class.

The Roosters club:
> is wealthy and financially secure. The club will never go to the NRL asking for money and has never caused the NRL concern for any off-field issue (other than typical dopey player behaviour).

> has a world class stadium locked in and just signed a 25 year agreement to live there.

> are consistently successful on the field and set a high bar for professional Rugby League

> is the only NRL club in the big end of Australia's biggest city. They have consistent long term, quality sponsorship deals, brand credibility and high television ratings.

It simply won't happen. IF relocation is ever on the table, the clubs at risk will be those with limited financial security, low potential for growth, stadiums unable to meet modern standards. No sane administration is going to base such a decision on juniors or slightly mediocre crowds.

adamkungl

Immortal
So who has the most pokies wins?

If that's what it takes..

For what it's worth, I wouldn't expected pokies to be the forever windfall the Western sydney clubs treat it as. Successive governments will eventually, bit by bit, lower their value. Just the way the world is going.

Side note, if that was a crack at Politis, Easts property portfolio is worth far more than their pokies.

siv

First Grade
I don't usually wade into the Roosters relocation debate because it's a dead end with haters, but I'll throw in my thoughts here.

It won't happen in the forseeable future, look elsewhere. Sorry guys.

Crowds? Roosters crowds sit in the same ball park as Wests, Parra, St George year on year, depending on success. The lower end of the ladder, sure, but not by enough to cut a club over.
Juniors? It's a professional sport people. No one cares. Despite a small number of locals, the club's youth development is nevertheless world class.

The Roosters club:
> is wealthy and financially secure. The club will never go to the NRL asking for money and has never caused the NRL concern for any off-field issue (other than typical dopey player behaviour).

> has a world class stadium locked in and just signed a 25 year agreement to live there.

> are consistently successful on the field and set a high bar for professional Rugby League

> is the only NRL club in the big end of Australia's biggest city. They have consistent long term, quality sponsorship deals, brand credibility and high television ratings.

It simply won't happen. IF relocation is ever on the table, the clubs at risk will be those with limited financial security, low potential for growth, stadiums unable to meet modern standards. No sane administration is going to base such a decision on juniors or slightly mediocre crowds.

25 years

Either Politis knows something OR there is a big get out clause

adamkungl

Immortal
If I wanted the Sydney clubs to pull their finger out and start performing better as a whole I would dangle the relocation carrot too.

Bingo... Maybe instead of whining about the NRL threatening their club, people should expect better of their club? And you know, actually attend games and buy memberships.

typicalfan

Coach
Yep actively promote the game and your club, don’t hire grubs that bring the club or game down. Be innovative, evolve and build your brand or be left behind.

Bingo... Maybe instead of whining about the NRL threatening their club, people should expect better of their club? And you know, actually attend games and buy memberships.
Yep exactly right. People have the power to stop their club being relocated/going under by doing those things, they just decide to sit and whinge instead.

flippikat

Bench
Just relocate Manly to central coast. Rebrand them "Central Coast sea eagles". Keep maroon as primary colour but maybe replace white with yellow to represent beaches. I think the problem with Northern Eagles jerseys was that it just looked like Manly. Manly fans will grumble but will follow them cos they've got nothing else. Central coast will have their "own" team due to name, colourways and location.

Relocate St George to wollongong permanently. Rebrand them Southern dragons. Let them capture South Coast.

Thats 2 Sydney teams "gone".

You could even merge easts and souths. 2 heritage clubs. Play at new SFS. Red Blue and green colourscheme. Easts finally get a crowd. Souffs get some teef. Match made in heaven.

No way would I want to try merging Roosters and Rabbitohs - the differing backgrounds of the clubs just won't gel.. besides which, they're bitter rivals. Trying to do that will be like the Northern Eagles, only far, far worse. We need to heed the lesson of that failure.

However, the idea of a Roosters & Bears joint-venture/merger doesn't have that rusted-in rivalry to work around. They're already working together in a feeder club arrangement too, so that can be the foundation of even closer ties at a junior league level.

If "North-East Roosters" happens, Manly becomes even more of an enclave, playing out of a stadium that's past it's best.. and the pressure cranks up a notch on them.

siv

First Grade
Maybe we should do some stats on attendance average for ThNF games or 6pm Friday games for every club

Did you notice the Brisbane v Cowboys clash hasnt ever been scheduled for ThNF

Stallion

First Grade
Maybe we should do some stats on attendance average for ThNF games or 6pm Friday games for every club

Did you notice the Brisbane v Cowboys clash hasnt ever been scheduled for ThNF
No way would I want to try merging Roosters and Rabbitohs - the differing backgrounds of the clubs just won't gel.. besides which, they're bitter rivals. Trying to do that will be like the Northern Eagles, only far, far worse. We need to heed the lesson of that failure.

However, the idea of a Roosters & Bears joint-venture/merger doesn't have that rusted-in rivalry to work around. They're already working together in a feeder club arrangement too, so that can be the foundation of even closer ties at a junior league level.

If "North-East Roosters" happens, Manly becomes even more of an enclave, playing out of a stadium that's past it's best.. and the pressure cranks up a notch on them.

NO!

Xcalibre

Juniors
Have you ever been to Sydney @Perth Red ? It doesn’t sound like it, and if you have, you don’t understand the place. For a start, one of the reasons Manly doesn’t attract huge crowds, is that they represent an insular community. There’s a certain type that lives on the northern beaches and if you’re not from there, you’re viewed as a lesser human.. Add to that the fact that it’s a prick of place to get to. Cut off from most of Sydney. The icing on the cake is the worst ground in the comp, which also happens to be in one of the worst areas to travel to and park.

Central Coast is the most logical relocation that has been known about for ages. Why it hasn’t got a team is a mystery. It has geographical importance (approximately halfway from North Sydney to the next club), a good stadium and huge population.

Honestly, if the Bears don’t get that spot, Manly is the prime candidate to relocate there. Even Cronulla, Souths or Roosters would work there. The current fans of those teams can still attend games as it’s not too far away.

Btw, I can’t see Perth ever working. Unless there’s a huge following and junior clubs there that I’m unaware of, I just can’t see a sustained, strong club based there, whether new or relocated.

Stallion

First Grade
No to which part in particular?

Forget the relocation ideas. Think the Bears should be reinstated as the Central Coast Bears. Manly deserve a genuine local derby rivalry. Both the Bears history and presence still nearby Manly is a consolidation and reclamation along with gaining the Central Coast Coast area. 1.5 million people can be serviced/entertained by two clubs. Added to this Newcastle gets a genuine local derby as well. Cannot believe the nearby rail station, Leagues club and modern stadium is being ignored by the NRL. Gaining back lost Bears fans and new Central Coast fans along with the boost to existing junior numbers in the Central Coast and northern Sydney is so obvious as a gain. One wonders why this hasn't happened in a purposeful way and not as a stop gap measure courtesy of the superleague "agreement ".!?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have you ever been to Sydney @Perth Red ? It doesn’t sound like it, and if you have, you don’t understand the place. For a start, one of the reasons Manly doesn’t attract huge crowds, is that they represent an insular community. There’s a certain type that lives on the northern beaches and if you’re not from there, you’re viewed as a lesser human.. Add to that the fact that it’s a prick of place to get to. Cut off from most of Sydney. The icing on the cake is the worst ground in the comp, which also happens to be in one of the worst areas to travel to and park.

Central Coast is the most logical relocation that has been known about for ages. Why it hasn’t got a team is a mystery. It has geographical importance (approximately halfway from North Sydney to the next club), a good stadium and huge population.

Honestly, if the Bears don’t get that spot, Manly is the prime candidate to relocate there. Even Cronulla, Souths or Roosters would work there. The current fans of those teams can still attend games as it’s not too far away.

Btw, I can’t see Perth ever working. Unless there’s a huge following and junior clubs there that I’m unaware of, I just can’t see a sustained, strong club based there, whether new or relocated.

Plenty of times.

Did you say the same about starting a club up in Melbourne?

MugaB

Coach
The Bears are done. They have a bright future as the Roosters feeder team though. Their territory should be formally handed to us.
You'll only get ex-north fans, if you add the name "North" to Sydney Roosters, and you might have a better following.
Although i know that the North Sydney Club would prefer that the "Bears" would be their prime name even if a new venture in CC/Perth/wherever was enabled for them to re-enter the top grade as stand alone, but for me, a proper merger of the two, would generate tons of support

flippikat

Bench
You'll only get ex-north fans, if you add the name "North" to Sydney Roosters, and you might have a better following.
Although i know that the North Sydney Club would prefer that the "Bears" would be their prime name even if a new venture in CC/Perth/wherever was enabled for them to re-enter the top grade as stand alone, but for me, a proper merger of the two, would generate tons of support

With North Sydney Roosters (or North East Roosters?), we would finally have foundation clubs Norths, Souths, Easts, Wests and Balmain all represented in the NRL in some form or other.

THAT would be a huge boost to the NRL in Sydney, IMO.

Stallion

First Grade

The Bears as a club in their own right will regain lost Bears fans. Any other merge outcome will not work. Central Coast Bears will work and would capitalise on a prior rivalry. Listening to Benji Marshal and Joel Thompson on NRL 360 confirmed to me that people on the ground are aware of the fans and their feelings and existing clubs with supporters are an advantage the code would lose with any relocation or merger. It's not right and its not good business. Gaining back lost fans and consolidating the northern Sydney area with the Central Coast Bears is a win/win. But some cannot or will not see this!

Latest posts