What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

Stallion

First Grade
sitting around at home with the flu and came up with an odd thought bubble on nrl expansion

what if the NRL left the sydney basin as it is but all the teams will be used in a way similar to VFL and then create new NRL properties that enable draft pickings to occur? this is a radical change for the game but a complete shake up is warranted yet it still leaves the tribulism of the game and maintains a somewhat fan following like similar to american sports college team supprot then pro team support.

super league wars was probably the perfect timing to really get it right yet the bosses back then didnt believe in the long term play for some teams and folded them earlier than warranted most tlikely out of spite from being dragged through the courts too

Fans will not accept this. Top flight status or nothing! Eroding established fan bases just doesn't cut it !

siv

First Grade
With links to North Sydney, I think so. If Newcastle and Townsville can support a team, I don't see why Wollongong or Gosford can't.

Any team north of the bridge should be positioning themselves as a Northern Beaches + North Shore + Central Coast super club.
Whether it's Manly or Norths it doesn't matter.
Unfortunately the current situation does not allow that due to stubbornness from multiple parties.

Or Easts

siv

First Grade
The only way Gosford is viable is with 1 club representing the entire North side, so not really sucking further sponsorships out of Sydney. Take 1 existing club (Manly) and expand up the coast, or replace them with something bigger and better.

That club is already Easts

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Why are the bears even in this conversation? They are gone and they aren't coming back. If the heat is on current NSW clubs, then there is no way that the NRL will bring in another one. Especially with major population centres like Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane and New Zealand underserviced by the game - most of those with major financial upside.

I agree that at some stage the Central Coast may be able to host a full-time NRL team but that would be a relocation of one of the current NRL teams.

adamkungl

Immortal
That club is already Easts

Roosters can (and do) put funding into their juniors, partner at NSW Cup level and below, and make an effort to promote in the region.

But they can't and won't move any more than 1-2 games a year up there for the obvious reasons I explained earlier. It would weaken the Roosters corporate support, it would weaken their hope of any crowd growth. They have just signed a lease until 2046.

If Gosford ever gets a team playing out of that stadium for more than visits, it has to be one of Manly or Norths.

Why are the bears even in this conversation?

1. Because the typical Bears revival stories are getting a run in the media.
2. Because the Central Coast, if a Sydney club falls over or relocates, is a valid option. (not as an extra club though)
3. Because if Manly were to fall out of the top grade, the Bears do become an attractive replacement.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Roosters can (and do) put funding into their juniors, partner at NSW Cup level and below, and make an effort to promote in the region.

But they can't and won't move any more than 1-2 games a year up there for the obvious reasons I explained earlier. It would weaken the Roosters corporate support, it would weaken their hope of any crowd growth. They have just signed a lease until 2046.

If Gosford ever gets a team playing out of that stadium for more than visits, it has to be one of Manly or Norths.

1. Because the typical Bears revival stories are getting a run in the media.
2. Because the Central Coast, if a Sydney club falls over or relocates, is a valid option. (not as an extra club though)
3. Because if Manly were to fall out of the top grade, the Bears do become an attractive replacement.

I guess so. I think if Manly fell over the license would just go to the WA Pirates or Redcliffe Dolphins / Brisbane Bombers. I agree with the Central Coast hosting a full-time team in the future but it will probably be the relocation of a current NRL team, not a NSW Cup team.

Stallion

First Grade
It was also term of the Easts-Bears agreement

That Easts would support their readmission

That's excellent information! If you can provide a source for this that would quieten the doomdayers that have been underestimating the impact of losing such a club in northern Sydney. Their pitiful stance is a reflection of how little they know of what makes rugby league ticky. And rest assured it's not anything like their divisive, disrespectful and ignorant thoughts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's excellent information! If you can provide a source for this that would quieten the doomdayers that have been underestimating the impact of losing such a club in northern Sydney. Their pitiful stance is a reflection of how little they know of what makes rugby league ticky. And rest assured it's not anything like their divisive, disrespectful and ignorant thoughts.

Bears are dead and buried, stop feasting on their carcass like some lazarus maggot hoping they are going to be resurrected. If the region really does need a club, better to drop manly and use the license to create a new super club representing the whole of the northern area than bring back yet another starving mouth to feed drawing 12k fans and struggling to pay the bills. Otherwise wait until 2050-70 when the NRL has properly expanded and there is nowhere else to go.

Stallion

First Grade
Bears are dead and buried, stop feasting on their carcass like some lazarus maggot hoping they are going to be resurrected. If the region really does need a club, better to drop manly and use the license to create a new super club representing the whole of the northern area than bring back yet another starving mouth to feed drawing 12k fans and struggling to pay the bills. Otherwise wait until 2050-70 when the NRL has properly expanded and there is nowhere else to go.

You pathetic piece of piss! Don't you understand that by trying to derail another worthy "addition" to this competition., you hurt other hopeful clubs causes! Incredibly dumb!

flippikat

Bench
Why are the bears even in this conversation? They are gone and they aren't coming back. If the heat is on current NSW clubs, then there is no way that the NRL will bring in another one. Especially with major population centres like Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane and New Zealand underserviced by the game - most of those with major financial upside.

I agree that at some stage the Central Coast may be able to host a full-time NRL team but that would be a relocation of one of the current NRL teams.

Precisely. it's simple.. let me explain it for the "lets just keep every Sydney team.. no.. lets even add more" proponents.

I'm a league fan in Wellington, New Zealand. A decent NZ city, with a good local league scene. Followed the Warriors since 1995.

Currently my only options to go to an NRL game are 1 game per year that the Warriors take here.. or spending time/money to travel all the way up to Auckland, or spending even more money & time to go to Australia for an away game.

If an NRL club started up here, you betcha I'd go to the games. Plenty of others too. That grows the game.

Meanwhile every weekend I see a city who has 9 suburban clubs.. multiple games per weekend.. and fans that can't even be bothered going across-town to attend games featuring "their" team... and this has only happened via a poker-machine law quirk of history!

It's as if Super Rugby was Wellington, Northern United (Porirua), Tawa, Poneke, Avalon, Petone, Paremata-Plimmerton, Hutt Old Boys Marist, Marist St Pats (all Wellington Rugby Union clubs).. plus Auckland Blues, Canterbury Crusaders, Otago Highlanders, Waikato Chiefs... and New South Wales Waratahs as the only Aussie team.

Now, how does that sound? Crazy? Now you get it.

Precisely. it's simple.. let me explain it for the "lets just keep every Sydney team.. no.. lets even add more" proponents.

I'm a league fan in Wellington, New Zealand. A decent NZ city, with a good local league scene. Followed the Warriors since 1995.

Currently my only options to go to an NRL game are 1 game per year that the Warriors take here.. or spending time/money to travel all the way up to Auckland, or spending even more money & time to go to Australia for an away game.

If an NRL club started up here, you betcha I'd go to the games. Plenty of others too. That grows the game.

Meanwhile every weekend I see a city who has 9 suburban clubs.. multiple games per weekend.. and fans that can't even be bothered going across-town to attend games featuring "their" team... and this has only happened via a poker-machine law quirk of history!

It's as if Super Rugby was Wellington, Northern United (Porirua), Tawa, Poneke, Avalon, Petone, Paremata-Plimmerton, Hutt Old Boys Marist, Marist St Pats (all Wellington Rugby Union clubs).. plus Auckland Blues, Canterbury Crusaders, Otago Highlanders, Waikato Chiefs... and New South Wales Waratahs as the only Aussie team.

Now, how does that sound? Crazy? Now you get it.
Maybe start the NZRL? Get the local media mobs to pay for coverage?

flippikat

Bench
Maybe start the NZRL? Get the local media mobs to pay for coverage?

Mate, how much money do you think the NZ media have?

Even for rugby - our highest rating sport - we need the money from overseas TV (principally Aus & South Africa) to oil the wheels.. and that money is higher if the competition has teams in Australia and South Africa.

A NZ-only competition in ANY sport is gonna run at a loss, or at best break-even.

It's the international competitions that cross-subsidise our provincial competitions

flippikat

Bench
Hehe.. nah, I'm happy enough to keep Jacinda here, thanks for the offer.

But, as blunt as I was in the above post.. the bottom line is that it irks me that a fair section of Sydney's rugby league community seems to think the deserve 9 NRL-level clubs (or more) as some kind of birthright or something, when lucrative markets are either under-represented (Brisbane) or not represented at all.

Sure, I push the case for a 2nd NZ team (preferably Wellington, but that's just my own preference hehe), but seriously there's at least half a dozen options out there to grow league in new, exciting ways.

Hehe.. nah, I'm happy enough to keep Jacinda here, thanks for the offer.

But, as blunt as I was in the above post.. the bottom line is that it irks me that a fair section of Sydney's rugby league community seems to think the deserve 9 NRL-level clubs (or more) as some kind of birthright or something, when lucrative markets are either under-represented (Brisbane) or not represented at all.

Sure, I push the case for a 2nd NZ team (preferably Wellington, but that's just my own preference hehe), but seriously there's at least half a dozen options out there to grow league in new, exciting ways.
Well there’s a fair chance of getting talent in NZ to put a second side.

I’d be happy to see it