What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

unforgiven

Bench
Mate, how much money do you think the NZ media have?

Even for rugby - our highest rating sport - we need the money from overseas TV (principally Aus & South Africa) to oil the wheels.. and that money is higher if the competition has teams in Australia and South Africa.

A NZ-only competition in ANY sport is gonna run at a loss, or at best break-even.

It's the international competitions that cross-subsidise our provincial competitions
You made his point for him mate, the argument he is making is that the comp is made up like it is because it developed out of the Sydney Rugby League competition. The other clubs joined that competition.

flippikat

Bench
Additional clubs gents! Stop whiteanting the best rugby-league competition on Earth !

Ok, so how many clubs do you envision the NRL having....

* In 5 years (middle of next TV deal)
* in 10 years (Deal after that)
* in 20 years (Probably as "long term" as I can fairly ask)...?

Assuming we keep (at least) as many Sydney clubs as we have now, and just add more expansion teams - which is your constantly stated preference.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
You made his point for him mate, the argument he is making is that the comp is made up like it is because it developed out of the Sydney Rugby League competition. The other clubs joined that competition.

And why did it develop out of the Sydney competition?

Population is part of the puzzle, but the luck that Sydney clubs had with pokie laws can't be overlooked. If Brisbane clubs historically had that revenue, the NRL may well have looked far different to the imbalanced mess we have now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Additional clubs gents! Stop whiteanting the best rugby-league competition on Earth !

TBf its a two horse race and SL has EPL and Union to contend with, without the benefits of pokie machines lol. Youd have to be pretty sht not to be the best RL comp in the world!

And try getting rugby-league played in most schools. That might be a start as well!

Its anticipated that 50% of the NRL player pool will be NZ or PI heritage very soon. Seems there development pathways aren't a problem compared to Australia with 5 times the population!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL will expand to 18 teams because it doesn't have the balls to cut anyone and its made sure with the grant and bail out fund no one needs is going to fall over. Todd's relocation bluster is just that, bluster. Or it wont expand at all, which is the likely scenario. If it want a ninth game to sell it needs it ready for 2022, that means a decision in the next 6-12 months at latest.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Where you taking the $30mill a year min from for the expansion? Grassroots? Digital? Existing clubs grants? Presuming of course the NRL cant sell the ninth game for more than $30mill,

flippikat

Bench
The NRL will expand to 18 teams because it doesn't have the balls to cut anyone and its made sure with the grant and bail out fund no one needs is going to fall over. Todd's relocation bluster is just that, bluster. Or it wont expand at all, which is the likely scenario. If it want a ninth game to sell it needs it ready for 2022, that means a decision in the next 6-12 months at latest.

That's exactly what I expect.

18 teams, and the issue of further expansion kicked down the road indefinitely.

Sucks to be anywhere outside Perth & Brisbane with NRL aspirations, doesn't it?

Stallion

First Grade
Ok, so how many clubs do you envision the NRL having....

* In 5 years (middle of next TV deal)
* in 10 years (Deal after that)
* in 20 years (Probably as "long term" as I can fairly ask)...?

Assuming we keep (at least) as many Sydney clubs as we have now, and just add more expansion teams - which is your constantly stated preference.

Hopefully 18 soon and then grow to 20 in the decade after. This ofcourse with prudent development and planning . During this time a two conference format may be used for the structure of the comp. As time goes on Clubs may be added on their merits. Perhaps some genuine expansion cities may earn derby rivalry with additional clubs? Wait and see. No negativity and subversion required. Positive outcomes with genuine growth assured . Not internal strife and weakening of this great competition in its biggest city.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
haha someone needs a chill pill. bears are dead, NRL wants less clubs in Sydney not another one, move on ffs!

Nope.Think you have jumped the gun. And you are doing no good whatsoever for a West Coast Pirates bid on this forum! The snide and disrepecful remarks will come back to bight you. For the record you are getting people offside and its looking more and more like a Brisbane 2 & NZ2 being added . Your petulance doesn't endear you to the rugby league fan in general. Take the tip PR. I know you won't!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's exactly what I expect.

18 teams, and the issue of further expansion kicked down the road indefinitely.

Sucks to be anywhere outside Perth & Brisbane with NRL aspirations, doesn't it?

This is RL, I fully expect them to announce Brisbane and Gosford and call it expansion!

flippikat

Bench
For the record you are getting people offside and its looking more and more like a Brisbane 2 & NZ2 being added . Your petulanneeds doesn't endear you to the rugby league fan on general. Take the tip PR. I know you won't!

Youre not speaking for me.. I actually think we could do with a Sydney team relocated to NZ *plus* Perth and Brisbane 2.

Then, soon after that Adelaide & Brisbane 3, with 1 or 2 more Sydney relocations or mergers (Say, Central Coast & NZ 3)

Stallion

First Grade
So, long term a ceiling of 20?

In your opinion, who would be the lucky 4 bids in that scenario?

I'm. hoping Brisbane2 and Central Coast Bears as moreover consolidation /expansion clubs. And then West Coast Pirates and NZ2 with significant development and set up work planned and timed for a much heralded and anticipated entry. Further clubs pending on how things are travelling in various aspects of the code. But get thesettled ones in for sure. All doable and would benefit rugby league.

flippikat

Bench
I'm. hoping Brisbane2 and Central Coast Bears as moreover consolidation /expansion clubs. And then West Coast Pirates and NZ2 with significant development and set up work planned and timed for a much heralded and anticipated entry. Further clubs pending on how things are travelling in various aspects of the code. But get thesettled ones in for sure. All doable and would benefit rugby league.

You do realise that most sports leagues outside of America have an upper limit of about 18 to 20 teams, yeah??

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nope.Think you have jumped the gun. And you are doing no good whatsoever for a West Coast Pirates bid on this forum! The snide and disrepecful remarks will come back to bight you. For the record you are getting people offside and its looking more and more like a Brisbane 2 & NZ2 being added . Your petulanneeds doesn't endear you to the rugby league fan on general. Take the tip PR. I know you won't!

That's ironic coming from you, even the most ardent Gosford fan would have been turned off by your perpetual Bears are needed to stop the Union takeover BS.

Id say the split on here is 90-10, those who think expansion needs ot be Brisbane2 and Perth then NZ and Adelaide compared to those who think bringing in another NSW team is a good idea. There are also plenty of people, without vested interests who think the suburban mentality of the bulk of the comp being in Sydney is holding the game back.

I've been at this a expansion lark lot longer than you lol

Pretty sure the commission aren't on here, so me getting anyone offside is going to make zero difference to the chances of a Perth NRL team lol.

Stallion

First Grade
This is RL, I fully expect them to announce Brisbane and Gosford and call it expansion!

It's much needed consolidation along with expansion. And will make money along with added value to the league. This is in turn will gain momentum for more ambitious expansion clubs like the West Coast Pirates and NZ2/Adelaide?

Stallion

First Grade
Youre not speaking for me.. I actually think we could do with a Sydney team relocated to NZ *plus* Perth and Brisbane 2.

Then, soon after that Adelaide & Brisbane 3, with 1 or 2 more Sydney relocations or mergers (Say, Central Coast & NZ 3)

I'm aware of that. People like Benji Marshal believe all Sydney clubs should stay put. And he's right. The damage to codes would be monstrous . You may not northern Sydney has been weakened significantly rugby-league wise since the Bears were kicked out. These clubs play a crucial role in Sydney. Benji knows this. You don't!

Stallion

First Grade
You do realise that most sports leagues outside of America have an upper limit of about 18 to 20 teams, yeah??

AFL is doing fine. Australia is extremely sports minded. And rugbyleague is underselling itself. Bigger is better for a sport like rugby-league. It hasn't got the establishment based support from.the upper echelons of society. But what it has got is a SUPREME PRODUCT! Better than other football codes but it hasn't got the friends in power . This is its struggle!

Last edited: