What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Lowrie

yy_cheng

Coach
sooperdooper said:
why ia everyone so cut angry etc?
its the first signing...

1. Because it's looking like 2007 might be like 2006 in terms of where we are on the ladder.

2. All that money released.

James_Hardie

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:
Maybe we as a club and fans can look to finishing off this year first.

If clubs, like any other business, aren't thinking ahead they fall in a heap.

What do they say, "failing to plan is planning to fail."

strider

Post Whore
Well i'm gonna leave u all to wallow in your pitty .... too much frickin sooking in this thread.

Maybe its time for a new scapegoat .... Brian copped it for years ... I guess now its Hagans turn to step up for a bashing even before he's had a cahnce to do anything with the cattle we do actually have

Most of that current crop who ARE staying contributed greatly to a 2005 minor premiership which could have been much more had we been switched on in the QF ..... I think 2005 and 2006 show that ALOT comes down to attitude on the field as much as who the players names are out there.

Anyway - this thread has turn nastily from a small heads up on a signing to a total bitch session ... pretty f**kin lame really.

parra pete

Referee
forward pass said:
Why can't this club keep any of its decent players? We get rid of all the good ones or they leave.

Shifcofske, Hodgson, Tonga, Lyon, Morrison, Widders blah blah blah...

Not to mention we actually let PJ and Grothe go too. I just can't explain it when I think about the talent we have had at this club now playing elsewhere it really sh*ts me off.

Any who do we sign to replace our departing players?? Todd Lowrie ffs!!

Creagh..no, Asotasi...no, Poore...no, Pritchard...no,Hill...doubtful, Simpson....unlikely, Morley...no, Burns...no, Lyon...no, Mullen...no, Gidley...no!!

Need I go on!

What you need to do is sit down and work out how the Salary Cap works..
Then realise that when Schifocske went he was replaced by Hodgson..when Hodgson went..he was replaced by McKinnon...when McKinnon goes, he will be relaced by Hayne/Reddy
Lyon walked out..other wise Tonga would have been retained. Tonga got four times more than the contract he was on at the Eels.
PJ manager signed for him to go to the Warriors without giving the Eels last shot.
Dean Widders was offered super money by the Rabbits...more than he is worth in current form..
Do you want Hindmarsh playing for pocket money and be under threat of leaving everytime his contract is up?
Mate..get a life. Learn how the system works..Don't stress about things you have no control over. Ob la di ob la dah.
One door shuts, another opens. Widders, Drew, Taylor, Dunley, Fui were considered joke signings when they came to the Club..It is a matter of spotting the talent that is out there and keeping everyone happy....
Burns!!!!! he was running around in lower grades last year..How come he is a hot shot all of a sudden and Lowrie is not going to be???
Give them a chance..You may be very surprised....

The Colonel said:
Not much use having a great core group of players if the back up isn't worth a pinch of sh*t in the first place. We have been there and done that in the past......

Yes but looking at 2007, has looked like the Mona Lisa or a steaming pile of garbage depending on what side of the fence you have been. But let me put it to you this way, as a hypothetical. The minor Miracle happens and we make the 8. From the 8 we charge through and Make a qualifying semi.

Saying that happens.

Is 2007 still looking bad if we sign a few fringe first graders and then a name or two? Sure we lose between 3 - 4 of the current squad, but who knows what will happen next week with signings?

Look I agree the management is responsible for the position, but we also don't know what cards they are holding, The Board is showing 2 A 2, what do you think the management could be holding ?, what are the two other cards to come?

All I am saying is that Firstly 2006 is not over, and neither is the recruiting for 2007.

James_Hardie said:
If clubs, like any other business, aren't thinking ahead they fall in a heap.

What do they say, "failing to plan is planning to fail."

Yes but He who foresees trouble suffers it two fold.

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
Well i'm gonna leave u all to wallow in your pitty .... too much frickin sooking in this thread.

Maybe its time for a new scapegoat .... Brian copped it for years ... I guess now its Hagans turn to step up for a bashing even before he's had a cahnce to do anything with the cattle we do actually have

Most of that current crop who ARE staying contributed greatly to a 2005 minor premiership which could have been much more had we been switched on in the QF ..... I think 2005 and 2006 show that ALOT comes down to attitude on the field as much as who the players names are out there.

Anyway - this thread has turn nastily from a small heads up on a signing to a total bitch session ... pretty f**kin lame really.

Mate, really, and I'm being serious here.
No need to get like that just because a lot of people aren't happy with the club or don't agree with what you say.

Opinions, remember?

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
MITS said:
Yes but looking at 2007, has looked like the Mona Lisa or a steaming pile of garbage depending on what side of the fence you have been. But let me put it to you this way, as a hypothetical. The minor Miracle happens and we make the 8. From the 8 we charge through and Make a qualifying semi.

Saying that happens.

Is 2007 still looking bad if we sign a few fringe first graders and then a name or two? Sure we lose between 3 - 4 of the current squad, but who knows what will happen next week with signings?

Look I agree the management is responsible for the position, but we also don't know what cards they are holding, The Board is showing 2 A 2, what do you think the management could be holding ?, what are the two other cards to come?

All I am saying is that Firstly 2006 is not over, and neither is the recruiting for 2007.

Realistically speaking rather than hypothetically speaking MITS we won't make the eight. If by some minor miracle we do then all the better. This year has still been a steaming pile of sh*t.

What names are you suggesting we are about to sign MITS? Outside of Myles and Simpson there aren't too many big names left. What then? We rely on a few no names who may have just managed to slip under a clubs radar?

While recruiting may not necessarily be over just yet unless we replace some of the players we lost with equal or better talent than it may as well be.

The Colonel

Immortal
strider said:

Good to see you can join in the sooking then mate.....

Hurriflatch

Referee
At the start of the year Roy Masters said that Parra fans thought they had 2 1st grade teams but in fact had 2 very good reserve grade teams

Now Parra has 2 average reserve grade teams with a couple of very good players

yy_cheng

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
At the start of the year Roy Masters said that Parra fans thought they had 2 1st grade teams but in fact had 2 very good reserve grade teams

Now Parra has 2 average reserve grade teams with a couple of very good players

And next year, no reserve grade team.

Reserve Grade
1. ??????????
2. Luke Burt
3. ??????????
4. Kris Inu
5. ??????????
6. ??????????
7. ??????????
8. ??????????
9. ??????????
10. Weller Hauraki
11. Zeb Taia
12. ?????????
13. ?????????

14. ?????????
15. ?????????
16. ?????????
17. ?????????

Okay Colonel, lets be hypothetical right now then.

Leaving = Replacement
Morris = Hill
Peek = Dallas M
Stringer = Mark Mini
Morrison = Nate Myles
Henry P = Todd L
Hayne = O'Dwyer
Williams = Petersen
Cordoba = Cannings

Also you know that we won't be stacking up or buying to many for the premier league because of its fate.

James_Hardie

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:

Saying that happens.

While I agree we don't know what cards the club is holding, if the club is banking on some miraculous turn in form because whilst it was good to see some improvement in beating Souths and the Raiders, the quality of both displays weren't that much better than what we have produced through most of the year (i.e not good enough to win 7 from 9). Then of course the added problem is if this turn around occurs, some of the players responsible for that turn around will be gone next year, and there will be not sufficent quality to replace them

I understand what you are saying, but i think it is unanimously agreed we a are short on at least one if not two top quality forwards and a quality 5/8 needed to win a premiership. And it appears those players may no longer be avaialable on the market, unless indeed we do sneak a quality player from the ESL.

James_Hardie said:
I understand what you are saying, but i think it is unanimously agreed we a are short on at least one if not two top quality forwards and a quality 5/8 needed to win a premiership. And it appears those players may no longer be avaialable on the market, unless indeed we do sneak a quality player from the ESL.

So a side something like
6.Hill
7.Smith
8.Cayless (with some fitness back)
9.Riddell
10.MoiMoi
11.Hindmarsh
12.Myles
13.Robinson

14.Marsh
15.Minachello
16.Lowrie
17.Cordoba / Tsoulos

Doesn't fit the bill?

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:

Leaving = Replacement
Morris = Hill
Peek = Dallas M
Stringer = Mark Mini
Morrison = Nate Myles
Henry P = Todd L
Hayne = O'Dwyer
Williams = Petersen
Cordoba = Cannings

Also you know that we won't be stacking up or buying to many for the premier league because of its fate.

Has the fate of PL been decided just yet? We still need to draw players from somewhere. It has been talked about for some time along with the Under 20's comp but nothing has happened just yet. Regardless of its fate we are still behind a lot of other clubs in regard to depth.

The list you have there hypothetically is good. However you rate some players a lot more highly than I do. Our biggest weakness is still front row and that brings up one name on that list. The other thing is outside of this forum we have been linked to three of those players of which one is alleged to have already signed.

Maybe I'm not looking at it as rosily as you are mate but I don't see what we have lost being replaced hypothetically with what we need.

James_Hardie

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:

Leaving = Replacement
Morris = Hill
Peek = Dallas M
Stringer = Mark Mini
Morrison = Nate Myles
Henry P = Todd L
Hayne = O'Dwyer
Williams = Petersen
Cordoba = Cannings

Then who replaces
Hayne
Williams
Cordoba
Widders
McKinnon
And potentially
Delaney
Reddy

etc..

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
So a side something like
6.Hill
7.Smith
8.Cayless (with some fitness back)
9.Riddell
10.MoiMoi
11.Hindmarsh
12.Myles
13.Robinson

14.Marsh
15.Minachello
16.Lowrie
17.Cordoba / Tsoulos

Doesn't fit the bill?

Provided those signings, which appear less likely with every day, happen MITS I'd be more than happy. The signings still have to be made mate and we aren't the opnly ones looking to sign those blokes you have mentioned. Hypothetical scenarios are great but they arent going to win us anything.

Bigfella

Coach

Leaving = Replacement
Morris = Hill
Peek = Dallas M
Stringer = Mark Mini
Morrison = Nate Myles
Henry P = Todd L
Hayne = O'Dwyer
Williams = Petersen
Cordoba = Cannings

MITS if I read this correctly you are suggesting that the players named in the right hand column are still potentially replacements for those in the left ...

The only one close to a like for like replacement would be Miles for Morrison, and the mail is he is most likely to join the Broncos?

There is no replacement for Widders or McKinnon, and there is not a single player currently playing front row, despite this clearly being the position where we need 2-4 quality additions (IMO).

We are also technically "losing" Jamie Lyon from our books this year.

The biggest "name' on the potentially incoming list would be Hill who the Melbourne fans and coaching staff apparently do not rate at all.

Following a year where we did not recruit, we have lost at least 5 regular first graders, and have so far signed only one player of any standard, despite the deadline passing and the most desired players signing elsewhere.

I think it is understandable people are upset. I am too.

I am prepared to be patient; as you and eela have pointed out, there ARE players left and we should presume our admin staff have been active.

If they haven't though, the entire Board should be on notice. The perennial scapegoat Mr Smith has been sacrificed already, and they won't be able to contiunue to blame him.

Latest posts