What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Tom Trbojevic is the 2021 Dally M Medalist

The Rosco

Bench
Against a side which was to say the least, looking forward to Mad Monday.
Hang on there Gong . . . . are you saying that Tom's efforts don't count as much coz they are against a shit team ?
That don't stop your Panthers celebrating like they have just scored the try of the universe every time they score . . . and scoring against utterly shit opponents does absolutely nothing to quieten down the celebrations, just quietly.
Watch a replay of Tom scoring that last try. Probably one of the greatest team efforts ( considering the clock) in a long time. He gets the ball, steps and puts it down. If any team should be jumping all over each other, it should have been Manly. I think the answer is somewhere between class, dignity and respect.
And I hate Manly. Which is good. Coz I see that they don't like me, either.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Barba’s 2012 Dally M season was 27 games, 22 tries, 22 try assists as a comparison

Hayne 2009 was 26 games, 14 tries, 19 try assists

PVL ball granted but the numbers are remarkable.

I'd like to see Hayne's breakdown from when he went red hot half way through the season. That run was incredible.

Apey

Staff member
The other key difference is he is likeable, so less "neutral" fans are coming out to discredit him. Well, except The Frog, but you know.

soc123_au

Staff member
Hayne at the back end of 09 is pretty meh in comparison to Turbo 21. I'd love to see Cleary get the Dally M, but it wont be this year, Turbo individually is untouchable.

Turbo might have 42 points from his 15 games
Obscene season
He has had an obscene season but I don’t think it is possible for him to have scored that many points. Even if he got MoM in every game after voting went behind closed doors (which is unlikely, particularly in the loss against the Storm), the maximum he could get is 39.

As I am typing this it is suddenly dawning on me how much of a pedant I truly am!!

Last edited:

gerg

Juniors
He has had an obscene season but I don’t think it is possible for him to have scored that many points. Even if he got MoM in every game after voting went behind closed doors (which is unlikely, particularly in the loss against the Storm), the maximum he could get is 39.

As I am typing this it is suddenly dawning on me how much of a pedant I truly am!!
To add to your pedantry (not an athletes medicine cabinet) I don't think he would have got 3 points in the losses to Knights or Panthers... I mean PANTHERS.

To add to your pedantry (not an athletes medicine cabinet) I don't think he would have got 3 points in the losses to Knights or Panthers... I mean PANTHERS.
The losses to the PANTHERS and Knights were before the voting went behind closed doors, so is included in the 15 points he was awarded from his first 7 games.

Do not be discouraged; it was a valiant effort. But if you really are committed to the art of pedantry, I am willing to take you under my wing and train you in its dark ways....

The_Frog

First Grade
According to Fox Sports Lab:

Cody Walker
22 games
37 try assists
12 tries
54 linebreak assists

Pretty astounding stats for someone likely to still finish 3rd behind Tom and Nathan. Symptomatic of our season - incredible, record breaking, still not as good as a couple of others.
Imagine, if you will, if they banned short pitched bowling in Test cricket. You'd never be able to get the best batsmen out, and records that have stood for many decades would be broken. This is precisely what is happening in the NRL. The balance of the game has been skewed in favour of attack almost overnight. That is why the number of tries scored has risen by 22% since 2019. Conditions have been made more ideal for strong attacking players, with defences more fatigued.

This is accentuated in the lesser performed teams, and you are seeing the powerful attacking players running roughshod over those teams especially at the back end of games. If it's discrediting these attacking players to point out this simple fact, then I'm guilty. Thisngs are never as bad or as good as they might appear, and I'm sure the Storm at their best would have led Manly by 30 at the 70 minute mark the other day.

The paradox here is that this does not mean a strong attack will always beat a strong defence, as I think we will see in the coming weeks. Especially when the strong defence is coupled with a strong attack of its own. It's just that it is now harder to maintain a strong defence for 80 minutes of football, and even 70 minutes of strong defence will see you concede just on 50.

But back to the heading, award Tom the Dally M now. He's the best attacking player in the game, and that's what gets noticed. Defensive excellence certainly doesn't.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
This award invariably goes to a great player in a team of flogs.
To put it into perspective, the current medallist is Simple Jack.
If I were awarding the points, DCE in particular would have got the 3 in a number of Manly games, as it was very often he who ran the team and was the biggest threat when the match was a contest, while Turbo would carve up later on once Manly got on top. I think DCE will get a lot of 2's but not many 3's.

GongPanther

Referee
That display of Turbo Tom in Townsville was one of the best if not the best, i have seen being part of League for over 50 years of watching....
From the top of my head, Balmain's Larry Corowa used to have games were he was untouchable. Turbo's effort is in that light.